Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 22:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/191/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Doing Atkins

Well hello everybody! -Happy New Year to you all!! I have just restarted the Atkins plan. -I have had many changes this year to my life...my brother passed away unexpectedly, I re-entered the workforce after having four prescious children in five years, and I moved accross the continent with our family for work.

In a word, it's been stressful, emotionally and physically. Through all of this, my anchor was the Atkins programme. I would often recall Dr. Atkins genuine care, felt through his words and this would give me the strength to keep on pluggin' away at his program. I was amazed...in under 2 months, even without walking or any aerobics, I lost 15 lbs. and 13.5 inches. However, when Christmas vacation arrived (I'm a teacher), I crashed; literally. I pigged out and drank beer and when my husband had to work evenings, I was often alone, munching on the couch. I understood that this was definately going against good health principles and sabatoging my state of ketosis and quite possibly, my progress.

To my surprise, I only gained about 5 lbs. back. -From having 4 children in 5 years (2 sections, 2 naturally), I have quite a sagging belly (I know, TMI). It has been my public enemy #1, so to speak. Nothing fits this area, making my thin legs look like I'm a scarecrow in dress-pants. It is depressing and yet, I often say to my hubby that, if after losing my goal amount of weight and my belly still hangs over my scar, that I will consider a tummy tuck. -Believe me, this is not something that I want to even think about...I would then loathe the scar. I suppose it is then a matter of me considering which one that I can't stand to live with primarily. As Atkins would say, "pick your poison" (ie when referring to a break in his program).

So, here I am, a 37 year old mom of four beautiful, bright and fluffy children, and I need a change...a change that will even surprise me. I have lived with this belly for 9 years now in total and I realize that it all starts with a sensible eating plan, exercise and of course weight loss, before I consider any other measure to lose the excess fat. For me, Atkins just feels right. I have been warned by my Doctor that eating eggs and hard cheese and butter, might very well give me a heart attack. However, when I follow Atkins' wol, I feel 100% better, physically and emotionally. Thus, I am following my instincts and besides, I have read that eggs do not cause one's cholesterol to rise...it's the processed, trans-fatty foods, combined with protein and fat that do.

Now that I've shared my story with you all, I do hope that someone out there that is following Atkins or another l.c. program, might give me a shout and tell me that it is possible for me to achieve at least a 40 lb. loss. I have to start somewhere....

This is a new year for me and nothing could be as heart-wrenching as last year. I feel like I am beginning to heal, 6 months after my brother's unexpected passing, so I have nowhere to go, but up!

Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 22:57

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have lost 128 pounds...39 pounds of it low carbing and I will loose the last 39 pounds low carbing and I will maintain it low carbing, so do I think you can do it? YES!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:44

BF:
Progress:
Default To MissScruffy

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!! -What did you do prior to low carbing to help you with such a wonderful weight loss?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:53

BF:

Watched calories, exercise. cried because I was always hungry! Time.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 20:10

BF:
Progress:

Wow, I so admire your willpower. I had even tried the W.Watchers "points system" and b/c of all of the low-fat products, I was wanting to eat all of the time. Now tonight, I had an unexpected 2.5 hour meeting after school. In other words, by the time I ate at home, it was 6 hours past lunchtime, the "maximum" amount of time Atkins advoates to eat. -Well, I was definately wanting to eat and I could smell the aroma of juicy burgers that my husband made all the way outside in the snow! -I just knew I'd want to eat, and eat good. The touble is, I was craving chocolate b/c I gave them a cookie each. I have a 0 carb bar handy and I thought I would devour it, but so far, I haven't. -The reason? I wanted to do a "clean" Induction for at least 14 days. However, since it is 0 carbs, I'm wondering if this fits into a "clean" catergory. haha!

Well, I do appreciate your comments and keep 'em coming, if you have the time!

Take care!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 20:30

BF:

Try and keep it clean and not eat that bar!!! There are other things in them besides carbs that can cause a stall and why throw all that hard work away! You do need to carry something allowable for just such days as a late meeting after school. Once you are done with Induction and move up the OWL ladder you will have more options! Just stay strong and understand that this is going to be one of the hardest things you have ever done and you are worth the tears and sweat! It was darn easy to put the fat on, but taking it off really hurts! I don't know if you have been around my Journal or read much about me so I will share a bit of my story. I went on a doctor monitored that I lost 135 pounds on! My top weight was 302 back then. Anyhow, I was down to 167 pounds and because of insurance changes I was no longer able to take them! Before I knew it I gained back 100 pounds. You see, the pills didn't teach me how to eat so I was eating the way I always had! Confession time! I would eat a huge bowl of ice cream every night after school then student teaching and half a can of Sour Cream and Onion Pringles! I was faithful to those two treats! Amazing to be able to eat that way, yet loose a whole person! Sad too, because I was only able to keep 35 pounds off! So, after several years of trying anything I could to loose weight and doing it, but it was just a terrible way to do it, I found Atkins! What a blessing to find a way to eat that left me satisfied and no more hunger pains!!!!! So, now you know more about me than you want I am sure!!!!! After what I have been through Atkins is a piece of cake! Oops...a bad choice of words!

I take it you are a teacher? I don't miss those afterschool meetings a bit!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:45
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

#8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 19:01

BF:
Progress:

Hi there!
-It was so nice of you to write me back...and with so much detail...not too much at all! (smile)
I sincerely appreciate you sharing your story with me! I think it is amazing that you have lost so much weight and I really felt for you, when you put some back on. -However, look at you now! You've done it, haven't you? -What I mean is that you accoplished that dream to lose the weight! Atkins IS a "cake-walk" (albeit sugarless, haha!) in many ways, as compared to low-fat eating, and I am greatful for Dr. Atkins' cause in life. Right now, b/c I am re-starting Induction due to "foolishness" at Christmas), I have had a major headache for 2 days, which he talked about in his books, combined with the cravings. I feel badly b/c I just started back with Induciton and went and bought a "0" carb bar, when I vowed not to eat one until 14 days had passed. However, I have had serious carb-cravings and my period happens to be coming any day now, so perhaps all of this craving is due the combination of just starting Atkins and that other "fact of life".
The good news is that since I started this Tuesday, I lost 5 lbs. I know it's prob. water weight, but I felt that this is the motivation I need to keep on truckin'.
-I AM a teacher, and you must have been too? -Are you in a new career? As for me, I am used to being a "stay-at-home-Mom", but we are on a travelling adventure and this is only a one year term position (thank God). -I will be staying home with my 4 year old little girl next year, and I couldn't be happier! I just love being with my kidlets and doing all kinds of fun things, plus the daily run of a big household. Also, I've been used to answering to "myself", for 9 years and to be honest, I can't imagine working in a school for a 20 year career. -Do you know what I mean? I'll be interested in what you have to say about that! -I do love helping the teens out that I teach, even though there are some serious challenges with some of them. It's just that "answering" to a "system" is just not me.
Thanks for listening.
-By the way, my name is "Mary"
ps. I laughed when I read your line that you didn't "miss" those after-school meetings. haha!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 21:32

Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

HI
Nice to meet you! We have a lot in common. I too have four wonderful children..all fairly close together. Daughter 10, twin boys 7, and the youngest 5. I can so relate to the tummy tuck notion!!! Have you heard the term "twin skin" before? Well it's what happens after carrying two 6 1/2 lbs babies in one small belly! Only mine isn't just skin
I just joined here and recently started Atkins. Have lost 5 lbs so far and just love this eating plan. So many of the foods I love are allowed I can hardly believe it!
I'm hopeing to meet new friends and learn more about the low carb lifestlye! My hopes are to meet more Mom's of young kids and get thier input/advise on incorporating this plan into real living..ie..how to maitain with all the little ones around.
I am 33 and a stay at home mom..finding frugal lowcarb options would be great too as it's hard to stretch one income! I'm glad you will get to stay at home with your youngest next year!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 22:58

BF:

I know one should never say never, but I won't be returning to education! I strongly feel it helped to destroy my health and confidence! I graduated in 2000 and spent the next 4 years trying to make a place in a system that resented me because (my opinion) I was a homeschool mom! I finally landed what I felt was my dream job (June) in another county, when it was ripped away from me based on lies from my administrators I worked under for the 2003-2004 school year. I am or should I say was k-4 and was placed in 8th grade English! Definitely out of my comfort zone! I worked my tale off to make it work and the only test scores I saw were the writing assessment and out of 116 that showed up to take it, only 3 didn't pass and they had gotten 3's! I say not bad! They said the writing scores were higher than they had ever been! The department head had almost 20 that didn't pass! Or was it 35? Such a memory! I've been up since 4:30 AM and am hanging out here waiting for KiwiGal for a chat and coffee! Anyhow, I wasn't renewed for this year and not shocked with the NCLB and all! They assured me I would get a great reference so I wasn't hurt or upset! So, when I landed a second grade classroom in the next county I was on cloud nine! Nothing had been signed, but I was informed verbally the job was mine and given dates. I hadn't dealt with that county before so assumed the Principal had the power to inform...not. The Principal called my former admins and they trashed me! I was stunned! So, the job was pulled and my confidence shattered. I still weighed so much at that time! Forget even getting near a size 18! 20's were too snug and 22's hung off my poor little shoulders! I found out today I can wear 14s! I am too happy! After falling apart for several months and not leaving the house unless forced, I turned to low carbing and the healing process finally began! It's been really hard for me. Thanks to those two hypocrites I cannot even get an interview in education! Amazing that they had the power to end my teaching career, but you know, while I loved working with the kids, the politics stunk and they actually did me a favor. I do need to get to work soon though, and thanks to them I am free from all that went with "the job" and can pursue something that will make me feel happy and challenged! Hopefully something I don't have to spend thousands of dollars of my own money to do! I did sell most of my resources in a yard sale early in the summer and made $950.00! I am ebaying the rest!!!!! Now, I have bored you and sobbed on your shoulder, but really, it is part of the healing process to tell this part of my story and not end up angry! I worked seven days a week from the time I got out of bed to the time I went back to bed and had completely lost me and my family! If they wanted to see me they came to my classroom! Too crazy! I had up to 136 students and I made them do lots of writing and if I assign it then I grade it! So, now I am free to put all that energy into a better paying job where I will be appreciated for what I have to offer and still have a life!!!!!! Whoever gets me won't be sorry because I am a complete work-a-holic! Well, I'd better end this before you fall asleep readying it!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 15:06

BF:
Progress:

To MissScruff;
-First of all you didn't bore me at all! -I totally relate to your frustration with "the system". I am not a person who believes in instutions as places of learning. I know, that's ironic, considering I work in one. I too, believe in homeschooling, although I didn't do this...yet. I love experiential learning, and for the most part, this just doesn't take place in school. I could go on and on about this, but unfortunately, I don't have time to! haha.
I feel badly that such a negative experience with people, had happened to you, but I think you did the smart thing, and moved on. There are so many avenues out there to pursue and it's nice for you to have a chance to explore what you want to do at this point in your journey. I wish you the best of luck with that. As for me, my goal is to be self-employed, perhaps buying real estate and renting properties out. However, we first have to pay down some debt before this dream can be achieved.
As for doing Atkins, I love it too! I tested my ketones today, and I am only in "small" ketosis. However, I lost 4-5 lbs. since Tuesday and the cravings are subsiding. I just know that there will be "other times" when the carb monster will visit. I just need to be strong through this and have a plan of action.
Well I best go! Take care and keep that success ball rollin'...size 14 is awesome!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 16:40

BF:

Size 14 freaked me out! Last year at this time I would never have imagined getting that fat off! I was so down on myself and working a job that made me miserable each and every day I was there, even though I loved working with my students, stinkers that they were being 8th graders! But, I got to know them as individuals and they are something else...but still just babies seeking approval even through they'd rather die than admit it!

Way to go on the weight loss! I am so proud of you! It's not an easy thing to do, but you...all of us are worth what we are going through! Keep up the good work!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 18:42
Registered Member

Stats: 266/193.6/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Welcome to the boards
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 22:22

BF:
Progress:
Default to: Poolie90

Wow! -Another Mom of 4 young chicks!! -And you had twins!! Isn't that just amazing!! I love the Atkins program too, but sometimes, I really, really miss my carbs. I did pretty good for my first week and the weekend. I just better keep it up this time. There are times when I get tempted to follow Bill Phillip's "Eating for Life" program (a spinoff eating program modelled after his "Body for Life" one). If I find I am not losing at least a pound per week, I just might switch, but for now, I am very happy to be following the Atkins wol. -I really believe in his total program, so I am trying to squash the cravings. haha!

So, we're both beginning Atkins; my first week has passed and it feels good. I hope you've had a great week too. (I lost 4 lbs.)
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 18:20

BF:
Progress:

To M.Scruff;

Thank you so much for your encouragment! -I sure do need alot of it! -I too do not like going to my job everyday, even though I love the students too. Our admin. is quite...well, I won't even go there...haha! Suffice it to say that I've learned alot about myself this year and I definately know that I don't want to be working f/t, with having 4 of my own precious bundles! -I just want to really "be there", mentally for them and not think about school work. I find that, even on my time off on weekends, my mind wanders to the work I could be/should be doing. -This just isn't fair to me or to them. I want a job, such as real estate (ie. renting a home to someone) where I can earn an income from my own assets. I just think answering "to the system" or to anyone for that matter, is a limited way of earning a living. -Teaching can happen in other ways outside of the system if one is creative and considers the possibilities of learning beyond the "3R's". -My 6 year old son LOVES Science, and they don't really "do" Sci. in elem. school anyway. -They "talk" about Science for the most part. Homeschooling could support far more talking Science, for example. So, M.Scruff, I totally relate to your career-change and I do hope that you find something that totally grabs your interest, but doesn't steal from you...life is just too darn short for a job to consume our waking thoughts and our thoughts before we go to sleep. At least, this is the way I feel. Perhaps many others who are 20-something without kids would think otherwise, but I'm 37 and I yearn to give my time/efforts to my children the way I have for the past 9 years. -I only returned this year for a "term" position. I will never be so glad to see something end as I am this school year! hahaha. Really though. Atkins/exercising is keeping me focused.
Take care!