Pierre Dukan is a French medical doctor and nutritionist with 40 years of experience in clinical nutrition, and the creator of the Dukan Diet. The Dukan Diet is a high protein, low fat, low carb diet. Lean protein, vegetables, oat bran, water, and a daily 20 minute walk are at the heart of the plan.
There are two options for doing the Dukan Diet; The Original Dukan 4 Phases and the Dukan Nutritional Staircase. You choose which option is best for you. Here is a brief overview of the two options:
THE ORIGINAL DUKAN DIET 4 PHASES
The Dukan Diet is a diet plan with four distinct phases. The first two weight loss phases, Attack (Phase 1) and Cruise (Phase 2) are based on the use of 100 allowed foods that make the food you eat high in protein but low in sugar, fat and carbohydrates. These 100 allowed foods are made up from a list of 68 low fat, protein rich foods and 32 vegetables which are low in sugar and starches. In Phase 3 Consolidation you start to add back fruit, hard cheese and starchy foods until you reach the final phase Phase 4 Stabilisation which you follow to keep off the weight forever. The Dukan Diet is also known for its daily serving of oat bran!
1. The ATTACK Phase: to jump start your weight loss. The Attack phase consists of pure protein and creates a kick-start to the diet. During this phase, you can eat 68 high-protein foods that produce immediate and noticeable weight loss.
2. The CRUISE Phase : to reach your True Weight. The Cruise phase adds 32 vegetables and will take you to your True Weight. In total, you can select from 100 Natural Foods. You will gradually but steadily lose weight by alternating Pure Protein days and Protein + Vegetables days. The average length of this phase is based on a schedule of 3 days for each pound you want to lose.
3. The CONSOLIDATION Phase: to prevent the rebound effect. During this time you are at your most vulnerable, as the body has a tendency to quickly regain weight. The Consolidation Phase is designed to prevent the rebound effect by gradually returning previously forbidden foods in limited quantities and allowing for up to two celebration" meals per week. This phase follows a strict timeline 5 days per every pound lost in Cruise Phase. It is important to follow one other important step once the Consolidation Phase has begun - a pure protein day on Thursday.
4. The STABILIZATION Phase: definitely crucial, for life. The Stabilization phase is the rest of your life! You have learned how to eat healthier in the previous phases and have developed a pattern to follow. In addition, to keep your new slim body, you must follow these three simple but non-negotiable rules:
- 3 Tablespoons of Oat Bran per day
- Walk 20 minutes daily and choose to take the stairs whenever possible
- Have a pure protein Thursday, i.e. Attack Phase menu.
Many people regain the weight they lost after they reach their goal weight. The Dukan Diet method creates a complete program that goes beyond just the weight loss phases. Two phases are devoted completely to the maintenance of your True Weight: the Consolidation and Stabilization phases. The last phase, Stabilization, is probably the easiest but also the most important.
Follow through all of the phases!
- It is a 7 day mini Dukan Diet which takes the place of the Attack and Cruise phases.
- It is made up from elements of the Attack, Cruise and Consolidation phases.
- This 7 day cycle is repeated over and over again until you reach your target weight.
- You add a different food or food group each day.
- It is less intensive and more flexible than the original Dukan Diet so it is easier to stick to.
- It allows you to have a social life as you get a Celebration meal every week.
- You are allowed to eat fruit 5 days a week.
- You are allowed to eat cheese 3 days a week.
- You are allowed 1 small glass of wine each week.
- The downside is that you lose weight at a slower rate.
Monday Day 1: Pure Proteins (from Attack Phase) For anyone who is familiar with the Dukan Diet it probably wont come as any surprise to find out that pure proteins from the Dukan Diet, plus oat bran and Shirataki noodles are the foods that are added on the first day.
Tuesday Day 2: Pure Proteins and Vegetables (from the Cruise Phase) On the second day the allowable vegetables are added. So you can eat freely from the list of 100 allowed foods.
Wednesday Day 3: Pure Proteins, Vegetables and Fruit (from Consolidation) Up until today the diet seems very familiar but on day 3 we add 2 pieces fruit, one of the additional foods from the Consolidation phase. I think this change is going to be very popular as I know many followers of the Dukan Diet have found having to give up fruit for weeks on end extremely difficult. However not all fruits are allowed grapes, figs, bananas and cherries cannot be eaten as they contain too much sugar.
Thursday Day 4: Pure Proteins, Vegetables, Fruit and Bread (from Consolidation) On Day 4 we add another food from the Consolidation Phase 2 slices of wholemeal/whole wheat bread.
Friday Day 5: Pure Proteins, Vegetables, Fruit, Bread and Cheese (from Consolidation) The fifth day adds another food which is often craved after during the Attack and Cruise Phases 1.5 ounces of hard cheese.
Saturday Day 6: Pure Proteins, Vegetables, Fruit, Bread, Cheese and Starchy Food (from Consolidation) On the first day of the weekend you are allowed to add a 7 ounce portion of starchy food such as brown rice, whole wheat pasta or quinoa.
Sunday Day 7: Pure Proteins, Vegetables, Fruit, Bread, Cheese, Starchy Food and a Celebration Meal (from Consolidation) The last day introduces the final item from Consolidation the Celebration Meal, a 3 course meal (normal portion sizes but no seconds) plus a small glass of red wine.
DUKAN DIET FOOD LIST
List of 100 foods allowed without restriction on the Dukan Diet during the weightloss phases (and beyond); Attack Phase and Cruise Phase
68 PURE PROTEINS: Starting on the Attack phase:
Lean meat: Beef tenderloin, Filet mignon Buffalo Extra-lean ham Extra-lean Kosher beef hot dogs Lean center-cut pork chops - Lean slices of roast beef - Pork tenderloin, pork loin roast Reduced-fat bacon, soy bacon- Steak: flank, sirloin, London broil Veal chops Veal scaloppini - Venison
Poultry: Chicken Chicken liver Cornish hen Fat-free turkey and chicken sausages Low fat deli slices of chicken or turkey Ostrich steak - Quail Turkey - Wild duck
Fish: Arctic char Catfish Cod Flounder Grouper Haddock Halibut and smoked halibut Herring Mackerel Mahi Mahi Monkfish Orange roughy Perch Red snapper Salmon or smoked salmon Sardines, fresh or canned in water Sea bass Shark - Sole Surimi Swordfish Tilapia Trout Tuna, fresh or canned in water
Shellfish: Clams Crab Crawfish, crayfish Lobster Mussels Octopus Oysters Scallops Shrimp - Squid
Fat-free dairy products: Fat-free cottage cheese, Fat-free cream cheese, Fat-free milk, Fat-free plain Greek style yogurt, Fat-free ricotta, Fat-free sour cream
Eggs: Chicken Quail Duck
32 VEGETABLES: starting from the Cruise phase:
Artichoke - Asparagus Bean sprouts - Beet - Broccoli - Brussels sprouts - Cabbage - Carrot - Cauliflower - Celery - Cucumber - Eggplant - Endive - Fennel - Green beans Kale Lettuce, arugula, radicchio Mushrooms Okra Onions, leeks, shallots Palm Hearts - Peppers Pumpkin - Radishes Rhubarb - Spaghetti squash - Squash - Spinach Tomato Turnip Watercress Zucchini
More foods allowed on the Dukan Diet:
Shirataki: Unlimited starting from the Attack phase. The Konjac root from Asia (China and Japan) is satisfying, rich in fiber, stimulates intestinal transit and has virtually no calories. You can also find konjac in other forms, such as a powder or flour and sometimes a gel. You can use any form for Dukan Cooking.
Olive oil: starting from the Cruise phase. Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, polyphenols and vitamin E (an antioxidant) all essential for health. Limited quantity: 1 tsp
I Cant Believe Its Not Butter: 5 pumps per day
Goji berries: starting from the Attack phase. Limited quantity: Pure Protein days: 1 Tbsp , Proteins and Vegetables days: 2 Tbsps.
Spices and Condiments (see Dukan book or visit Dukan website for specifics)
Wheat gluten: 4 tbsp / week (all phases)
Attack phase - 1.5 tablespoon / day
Cruise phase - 2 tablespoons / day
Consolidation phase - 2 tablespoons / day
Stabilization phase - 3 tablespoons / day
65 Ounces of water
Tap water or sparkling mineral water
1 Diet soda per day
Coffee/Tea w/ Skimmed milk and/or stevia