Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 11:00

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 365/365/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress:
Default Trying again...

Hi guys,

I have been a successful low-carber in the past, but have slipped. I am probably at 365 right now (not sure, don't own a scale that goes that high, but based on past experience at this weight level + clothing fit). I have done Atkins and Quick Weightloss Centers diets (Atkins being the true low-carb, Quick Weightloss Centers being a semi-low carb, high protein diet), both with success. I was down to about 315 on Quick Weightloss Centers diet in a matter of weeks, with about 3-7 pounds per week lost typically. I did similarly well on Atkins in the past.

What changed? I got married. My wife CANNOT STAND low-carb and she's PICKY about eating. She herself just hit 300 pounds and I don't think I can ever convince her that low-carb is the way to go, because she's so picky at eating. On the other hand, her style of dieting doesn't work for me. I cannot do WeightWatchers consistently, because it basically allows you to keep ALL of your old habits and just count "points" and replace bad food with less-bad food (e.g. weightwatchers candy bars). Isn't the point to permanently change habits? For me, complete denial is best. I love the physical feeling I have on low-carb (after the initial carb starvation feeling subsides in a couple of weeks). What always gets me is mentality, depression, eating issues.

So, I'm coming here to hopefully get some help from folks who have had success with a method that I know can work for me. I'm happy eating an egg or two for breakfast. I haven't had sugar-containing soda on a regular basis in over 9 years. I can deal with keeping the carbs low and I can easily go with a corn tortilla if I really am craving bread. I love salads with meat on them and can happily make that a regular and frequent meal. I *love* green veggies and can eat them like candy... as long as you keep the candy away from me.

Any advice as I get started?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 12:40
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome to the forums!

I don't think there is really any way one person can convince another to change their woe. Maybe as your wife sees your success, she'll be more willing to give lc a chance.

If you know how to cook at all, perhaps you could introduce her to some of the great lc recipes that are available online. Low carb cooking has improved enormously in just the past few years! Check out our Kitchen forum, Linda Sue's site, Kevinpa's recipes and Cleochatra's blog for some yummy ideas! I promise you that you're in for some real treats!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 14:31

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX
What always gets me is mentality, depression, eating issues....

Any advice as I get started?

Welcome to the forum. Specifically, what is it that gets to you? If it's depression, for instance, it could be the lower serotonin levels that may result from a low carb diet. Eating more carbs, or taking something like 5-HTP may be helpful. I know from past experience that I feel like absolute crap if I try to eat very low carb, but so far I'm having good luck losing on an average of 100 carbs/day.

I would also encourage you to start a journal and track your food with MyPlan. The journal is to discuss and vent those eating issues. And I've found MyPlan to be very helpful in getting out of some past mentality that always sabotaged me. At Thanksgiving, for instance, I ate some food that I intended to eat but nevertheless still left me feeling vaguely guilty. But when I plugged it into MyPlan, I saw that I hadn't overeaten at all so my guilt was misplaced and I actually wound up losing that week. I'm also hopeful that by documenting what's working for me now, I can refer back to it later if I run into trouble. Now some people are drawn to lc eating so they don't have to count anything, and I'm one that never wanted to even keep a food diary on paper, but I find the computer program to be totally different in its effect on me. It's almost fun.

Your mileage may vary of course, but that's one thing that is good about this place; there are lots of posters with different perspectives. Keep posting and looking around and you will find helpful people and comments.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 17:34
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

Welcome...

You are not the only one who has slipped. I have slipped many times, but I am still fighting the good fight.

I also have a spouse who is just not supportive. It can be very difficult. I have found that it helps just to have 2 meal plans. I plan my own meals and my husband is welcome to join me, but if he wants something else he has to plan it for himself.

It is hard, but it is not impossible.. You can do it