Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-07, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/137/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Wow -- good info about dairy -- I've wondered if I might have a dairy problem (I don't want to think about it too hard just yet though, because I do love my cheese and cream, and I'm so enjoying them at the moment!), but I think it might be causing me some problems.

Elle, have you ever tried roasting your broccoli or asparagus? I usually toss one or the other in some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and then roast in a 400 oven for about 15-20 minutes. I usually stir them up a little about half way through to make sure they don't burn on one side, but once they're done, they are sooo good -- bright green, but crispy around the edges -- perfect. I can't believe I went so long before I tried something so simple and so good.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphie
Elle, have you ever tried roasting your broccoli or asparagus? I usually toss one or the other in some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and then roast in a 400 oven for about 15-20 minutes. I usually stir them up a little about half way through to make sure they don't burn on one side, but once they're done, they are sooo good -- bright green, but crispy around the edges -- perfect. I can't believe I went so long before I tried something so simple and so good.

I'm actually doing an experiment with roasting veggies right now...trying all my "usuals" as roasted and see what I think.

So far I've tried green beans and asparagus and tomatoes. I loved the green beans, they had a sweet taste with a very slightly bitter undertone. When I salted them they were really really yummy and good leftover, too. So the green beans were a hit with me, though I'm sure my family will never eat it that way. I showed them to the kids and they all said "yuck." They're used to the steamed ones with butter.

The asparagus I didn't like so much. There was more of a bitter taste than sweet, and I had to put lemon juice on them to make them edible for me. I will stay with steaming the asparagus.

The tomatoes were, of course, delicious.

I'm nervous about trying the brocolli, once I had some "staying warm" in the oven and it really ruined it. They got slightly brown on the edges and tasted yucky, but I'm willing to try it again with the "goal" of roasting instead of "side-effect" of trying to keep it warm. I was actually very angry with MIL that day (T-giving day) for putting it in the oven and ruining 'my' dish for that dinner!

I'm really looking forward to trying cauliflower that way. It looks yummy and pretty, but I have seen mixed reviews on the results of that in the taste dept. I love my cauliflower pureed with just a touch of sour cream...it will be hard to beat that.

I think if I ever try summer squash I should put them on a broiler pan so the moisture can fall away?

So that's something I'm playing around with right now...roasting veggies.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 09:59

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

One great way to roast yellow, crookneck squash is to slice it very thinly lengthwise and put it on a greased cookie sheet. Lightly salt and roast at 500* for 10 mins. (honestly, I forget how long, but I would just watch it!), then turn it, salt it and do the same. It should dry out and some pieces will be golden brown around the edges, not quite burnt. I LOVE it this way!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 16:43

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm definitely going to try this way to make squash chips. Thanks. Wonderful Augustine quote too, so true.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dairy can stall me, but not heavy cream or ghee, probably because they are 97-99% fat, with scant amounts of sugar (lactose) & protein (casein).
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 20:57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
One great way to roast yellow, crookneck squash is to slice it very thinly lengthwise and put it on a greased cookie sheet. Lightly salt and roast at 500* for 10 mins. (honestly, I forget how long, but I would just watch it!), then turn it, salt it and do the same. It should dry out and some pieces will be golden brown around the edges, not quite burnt. I LOVE it this way!

YUMM-O! (Ugh, I can't stand Rachel Ray, and I can't believe I just used one of her terms, but nothing else fit!)

Ya know, I grew up eating yellow squash one of 3 ways: breaded and fried (favorite!), stewed with onion (liked it as a kid, not any more), in squash casserole at T-giving and X-mas (close tie with fried!). I have tried it grilled and sauteed, but I don't care for it either of those ways. The breaded is out and the casserole is out b/c it contains crackers. So I was about give up on yellow squash!

As an aside, I was going to try frying the slices in pork rinds, but the truth is, the breading when I was growing up was flour, so they weren't really all that crispy, unless you got hold of a really thin-slice. It's hard to describe, but the pork rinds would not duplicate it at all.

But your method sounds so...MODERN and wonderful! I cannot wait to give it a try.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 21:15

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
I slice it about a quarter inch thick, brush it with olive oil and Italian seasoning with a hint of kosher salt and either fry it on the griddle in bacon grease or grill it until it is almost black. Love it that way!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 10:44
Registered Member

Quote:

I just tried this! It was yummy, but it didn't get very crispy, some were some weren't. The only ones that were really crispy were the ones that burned from being sliced too thin. I think next time I'll cook them a little longer. Loved the flavor!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 08:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 195/177.8/155 Female 55 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I just tried this! It was yummy, but it didn't get very crispy, some were some weren't. The only ones that were really crispy were the ones that burned from being sliced too thin. I think next time I'll cook them a little longer. Loved the flavor!

There's a very similar recipe for "Zucchini Fries" in George Stella's cookbook. I had the same experience that the well done (burnt) ones were the most crispy.

One thing that helps to crisp them up is to use a wire rack or slotted pan instead of a cookie sheet.

I also used Old Bay to give them more of a "seasoned fries" taste.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 13:09
Registered Member

That sounds GREAT! Thanks!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 15:26

Plan: Protein Power Pre-Maintan
Stats: 135/120/115 Female 5'4"
BF:23% current
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I have not had luck with roasting veggies. I didn't like the taste of them. I like broiled tomatoes, however. I like some veggies grilled, like zuchini, yellow squash, red bell peppers and onions, and I like to lightly sprinkle them with oil an vinegar after cooking. I like mushrooms and onions and red bell peppers sauteed in butter and olive oil, but I steam brocoli, cauliflower, green beans and asparagus. But then I have to put butter or a sauce on them to make them edible, of course.

So all in all, my veggies are pretty heavily fatted-up. And I wonder if I need to be doing that.

Quote:
My question to Dr Eades was regarding dresssing veggies with fat after cooking, which I'm sure most of us do. He said he doesn't, and it makes me wonder if I really need to be doing that either? Maybe adding that extra fat doesn't really serve a purpose, except to add calories that could hinder weight loss.

hi Elle,
I was reading the PPLP and here is what i found on page 120:

"... many of the most potent cancer fighting nutrients in plants can't be absorbed well without some fat accompanying them"
"Make sure that when you eat a salad, you dress it with a real oil-based dressing, made with extra virgin OO, canola oil, or nut oil, all of which contain a whole host of valuable nutrients and antioxidants. If you eat steamed vegetables, drizzle them with olive oil or melted butter, so that the fat soluble nutrients don;t go unabsorbed"

I think this answers your question a little bit..
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 21:26
Registered Member

Thanks for the update, Gala.

Truthfully, if putting fat on my veggies was all I was struggling with the plan right now, I'd be totally thrilled.

Maybe I'll get back on track one of these days...BEFORE I gain it all back.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 315/234/190 Female 5'8"
BF:Quite
Progress: 65%

I'm curious -- why are you so worried about fat? I guess I had the impression that restricting the fat content of a truly low-carb eating plan is pretty much unnecessary.

I also saw that photo in Dr Eades' blog -- I'd have put the blue cheese (and some of the yummy steak juice) on the vegetables and eaten it that way had that plate been put in front of me.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 14:22

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
When I finally found the courage to drop all forms of dairy, including butter - weight loss started happening again.

you might be able to use butter for the flavour if you make yourself some Ghee... clarified butter with the milk solids removed.

Quote:
Directions: How to Cook Ghee (Indian Butter Oil)

Divide butter into 1/4 pound pieces. In heavy 5 qt. saucepan, heat butter over moderate heat, stirring to melt slowly and completely without letting it brown. When completely melted, increase heat and bring the butter to a boil. When the surface is completely covered with white foam, stir the butter gently and reduce heat to the lowest possible point. Simmer uncovered and undisturbed for 45 minutes, or until the milk solids on the bottom of the pan are golden brown and the butter on top is transparent. Slowly pour the ghee through a linen towel or 4 layers of moistened cheesecloth. If the are any solids, no matter how small, strain again to prevent oil from becoming rancid later. The ghee must be perfectly clear. Pour the ghee into a jar or crock, cover tightly and store in refrigerator or at room temperature until ready to use. Ghee will solidify when it is chilled. If may be safely kept at room temperature for 2 or 3 months.

NOTES: Although ghee resembles clarified butter, the long low heat cooking imparts a distinctive nutlike flavor that cannot be duplicated.

From "The Cooking of India" posted by DonW1948~aol.com

I plan to make this to try even though i love and use regular butter all the time.