Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 13:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Fat cells sensitive to sunlight

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...80110113007.htm

Quote:
New discovery may explain winter weight gain
UAlberta researchers make first-ever observation that fat cells are sensitive to sunlight

We may have a new reason, in addition to vitamin D generation, to bask in a little sunshine.

A breakthrough study by University of Alberta researchers has shown the fat cells that lie just beneath our skin shrink when exposed to the blue light emitted by the sun.

"When the sun's blue light wavelengths -- the light we can see with our eye -- penetrate our skin and reach the fat cells just beneath, lipid droplets reduce in size and are released out of the cell. In other words, our cells don't store as much fat," said Peter Light, senior author of the study, who is a professor of pharmacology and the director of UAlberta's Alberta Diabetes Institute.

"If you flip our findings around, the insufficient sunlight exposure we get eight months of the year living in a northern climate may be promoting fat storage and contribute to the typical weight gain some of us have over winter," he added.

Light cautions the finding is only an initial observation and that pursuing exposure to sunlight is not a safe or recommended way to lose weight.

"For example, we don't yet know the intensity and duration of light necessary for this pathway to be activated."

However, he added the novel discovery opens up new avenues of future scientific exploration which could some day lead to pharmacological or light-based treatments for obesity and other related health issues such as diabetes.

"Maybe this mechanism contributes to setting the number of fat cells we produce in childhood -- thought to stay with us into adulthood," he speculated.

"Obviously, there is a lot of literature out there suggesting our current generation will be more overweight than their parents and maybe this feeds into the debate about what is healthy sunshine exposure."

The researchers made the discovery while investigating how to bioengineer fat cells to produce insulin in response to light to help Type 1 diabetes patients.

"It was serendipitous," said Light, adding that his name is an ironic coincidence since light was not his primary field of research. "We noticed the reaction in human tissue cells in our negative control experiments, and since there was nothing in the literature, we knew it was important to investigate further."

Based on the finding, the fat cells we store near our skin may be a peripheral biological clock, said Light.

"It's early days, but it's not a giant leap to suppose that the light that regulates our circadian rhythm, received through our eyes, may also have the same impact through the fat cells near our skin."

He explained that the molecular pathway they discovered was first identified as being activated by the eye when exposed to the blue wavelengths in sunlight.

"That's why you are not supposed to look at digital devices before bed because they emit the same blue light the sun does, that signals us to wake up," he explained.

"Well, perhaps that pathway -- exposure to sunlight that directs our sleep-wake patterns -- may also act in a sensory manner, setting the amount of fat humans burn depending on the season. You gain weight in the winter, and then burn it off in the summer."

This could be evolutionary process, supported by the fact that unlike many other mammals, our fat is spread out all over our bodies just underneath our skin, he added.

"Our initial first observation certainly holds many fascinating clues for our team and others around the world to explore."

The principal author of the Scientific Reports (by Nature) paper is Light's student Katarina Ondrusova and the second author is Light's research associate Mohammad Fatehi.

Interesting possibilities, anyways. And that bit about engineering fat cells to put out insulin in response to sunlight--talk about cutting out the middleman. I don't see how you trust that beyond supporting basal insulin levels.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

As a motivation to myself I did a month of tanning in a tanning bed for my last month of active dieting . I wonder if that helped the last ten pounds fly off that month. In the pacific northwest we don,t get much sun even in the summer we tend to be over cast if not outright raining at least 11 months of the year.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I guess that could be called baking yourself!

Thinking downstream does the fat go into circulation and get restored to the cells, or go to the liver?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 16:05
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

My guess would be that the fat cells are releasing cholesterol in response to the sunlight in order to make vitamin D.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-18, 23:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

When I was a teenager we would lay out in the sun and put baby oil all over us to get a better tan....
I don't know who told us to do it but everybody did it. Some even put iodine in the baby oil and IDK why....

I know that I was thin then.....maybe getting a tan helped.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 07:59
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've know that for years.

I gain during the winter and lose during the summer.

Been that way for the last 50 years. I'm sure I wrote about it somewhere.

And it's only the sun or tanning beds...supplements don't have that same effect...so it must be the effects on the skin.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 17:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

My grandmother used to lie under a special light every day - don't know if it was a tanning light or what, but she needed to cover her eyes. And she never looked tan - very pale. This was back in the early 60's. She was also very obese, so I doubt if light takes care of everything.

On the other hand, I started using a light therapy lamp for SAD last spring. I use it daily & this has been my best winter ever! No depression & plenty of energy. Not losing weight - but would it only be where the light hits? In which case the right side of my face should be thinner.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 18:27

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Clearly this proves causation. If you go to any beach during the summer, look around at the peeps sunning themselves. They are a lot thinner ( and probably better looking) compared to the rest of us looking for lost parked cars on iced over city streets or parking lots.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 18:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
Clearly this proves causation. If you go to any beach during the summer, look around at the peeps sunning themselves. They are a lot thinner ( and probably better looking) compared to the rest of us looking for lost parked cars on iced over city streets or parking lots.

When the snow is falling thickly - as it is has been all afternoon - it's very hard to find the sun. And I find myself thinking about a short story I read years ago - Silent Snow, Secret Snow. Weird. I suppose a lot of us in the north get a little strange. I want to stay home more, husband wants to go into town more. I sometimes think he'd go to town on snowshoes for a cup of coffee & a chat with anyone but me.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 19:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Sunlight doesn't go very far into the skin, so only a few fat cells would respond. I doubt that there would be any meaningful effect on body weight.

The parts of the body that most of us would like to lose fat cells from are almost always covered by clothes.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
My guess would be that the fat cells are releasing cholesterol in response to the sunlight in order to make vitamin D.

Good guess, maybe more optimal hormones in general.