Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 19:25

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/170/135
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default What does a low insulin level mean?

I did an insulin fasting test and the results showed that my insulin is low (4.6), but that my glucose is normal. My (temporary) doctor told me that I should have had a high glucose level because of the low insulin level. She told me something is destroying my insulin. She told me to see the endocrinologist, but because it is an HMO, I will have to wait to get an appointment. (These endos don't know the difference between lifestyle-based and glandular-based problems anyway).

Also, she didn't tell me whether I am insulin-resistant or insulin-sensitive. I don't think she knows. Does anyone have any answers for me?

We are getting a new healthcare provider next year, a PPO, and I plan on getting an appointment with Dr. Schwarzbein in January. Lucky me.

In the meantime I am so confused about what to surmise about these test results and how I should be eating. I've been Schwarzbeining for seven months. Is it possible the insulin is low because I'm not eating enough carbs?

I will really appreciate any information you might provide.

Sincerely,
Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 19:39

Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Judy,

I do believe that low-carbers have lower insulin levels than the norm. You'll have to let us know about your appt with Dr S.

Lila
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 20:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: What does a low insulin level mean?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ayaju
I did an insulin fasting test and the results showed that my insulin is low (4.6), but that my glucose is normal. My (temporary) doctor told me that I should have had a high glucose level because of the low insulin level.

Judy, I did a search and dug up a few posts by Doreen on the subject of fasting insulin levles and what is 'normal' and what that means.

Do on Insulin Levels (from Dr. Bernstein)

Fasting Insulin and Blood Sugar

Since Do took some of her info from Dr. B I've included a link to his website - you might find some info there.

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution - Some of his book is included on the site; chapter 3 should be of particular interest: "Blood Sugars: The Nondiabetic Versus the Diabetic"

Best of luck,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 20:32

Stats: 330/330/175
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Schwarzbein Appointment

Late last year I contacted Dr. S's office to arrange for an appointment. I have always had ppo and thought it would be a no-brainer. I was told (buy a very snippy male receptionist) that Dr. S doesn't accept any insurance, and that I would have to pay the entire amount (I think it was either $600 or something like that) and then submit it to my insurance company for reimbursement. He was very snooty and implied that Dr. S is somewhat of a celeb and can do business however she wants. I was so put off I never called back.
Marieze
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 23:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Judy,

I think perhaps the dr. was trying to suggest that something is destroying your insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, which would lead to diabetes. This is extremely unlikely, since your blood sugar is normal. If you were becoming diabetic, your blood sugar would be very high, even if you had been eating a low-carb diet. Low insulin levels associated with diabetes come as a late sign, and other symptoms would show up much sooner .. high sugars, high insulin .. weight gain, elevated blood lipids etc etc . all the symptoms of insulin resistance.

More likely, as Lila suggested .. your insulin levels are low because you're low-carbing AND .. you were fasting. Especially if you'd been fasting for more than 12 hrs. It will be good to see an Endocrinologist; perhaps she or he can also do a fasting glucagon test. In fasting/starvation, your insulin would be low, and glucagon would be high. Glucagon will trigger the liver to release stored glycogen, which would keep your blood sugar in the normal range so that it doesn't drop too low.

As for your question about insulin sensitivity .. HIGH fasting insulin levels are the hallmark of insulin resistance.

My suggestion is that you continue to follow the Schwarzbein program as you have been doing. Make sure that you are in fact eating the amount of carbs that you should be for your level .. the lowest would be 15g per meal and 7g per snack. Don't skip meals.

hth,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Schwarzbein Appointment

Quote:
Originally posted by marieze
Late last year I contacted Dr. S's office to arrange for an appointment. I have always had ppo and thought it would be a no-brainer. I was told (buy a very snippy male receptionist) that Dr. S doesn't accept any insurance, and that I would have to pay the entire amount (I think it was either $600 or something like that) and then submit it to my insurance company for reimbursement. He was very snooty and implied that Dr. S is somewhat of a celeb and can do business however she wants. I was so put off I never called back.
Marieze

The snippiness is truly sad to hear about. The price of fame, I suppose. She's not the only doctor who does not want to deal with insurance companies. This is the result of the bureaucratization of our lives. I could write volumes on this, but this is not the place.

Sheldon
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 08:48

Stats: 185/170/135
BF:
Progress: 30%
Talking You don't know what you did for me!

I was so completely stressed-out yesterday after that doctor put fear into me about my health. I was confused and didn't know what to think. I couldn't even find any clear answers in TSPII. Well, that is because I am fine!

I know you are all right. It makes perfect sense that eating a lower carb diet would create lower insulin levels. In fact, they are probably normal, not low at all. If everyone ate lower carbs, the guidelines would have to change because all of our insulin levels would be naturally lower.

So... I can't believe I am not insulin-resitant! I thought for sure that I was! I'm so excited to know that I am probably insulin-sensitive. In other words, with healthy insulin levels and responses. Yee ha!

I am so eager to find out if I have burned-out adrenal glands or not. The way things are going at Kaiser, I will have to wait until I can order a kit from Dr. S's website. That should be soon though. www.drhormone.com for those that do not know. For those who do not know, Dr. S has four different metabolism categories. You eat accordingly.

I am surprised to hear from people doing eating plans I have never heard of, and not TSP folks!

And in conclusion, I am getting more certain every day that my health problems (CFS, five years) are caused by the Synthroid I've been taking for 10 years, along with previous bad eating and lifestyle habits. That I ought never have been put on the stuff. That I have lifestyle-based hypothyroidism, not glandular-based.

I will at long last get my answers when I get to see Dr. Schwarzbein in January. Yay for me! Especially if she helps me get off Synthroid forever!!

Thanks again, Judy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 09:09

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Maybe if the Dr.S web-site ever *actually* has a place to post our ?s (as promised at the end of the bk.) we could get a little more clarification.

I do not see how one can know exactly what to follow without a lot of expensive medical tests that the average Dr.may not sanction. I am anxious to see what her tests from that site will have and cost! I guess one can't go too wrong with following the basic program though until later? I know I have felt better since following it as closely as possible.

I wish you well, Judy.