Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Cocoa powder shouldn't have an issue being cooked with the eggs, right? I'd sort of think it would need to be mixed in really well with the eggs so it could have a chance to be absorbed, dissolve, whatever it would do. Whatcha think?

I can't use cream in my diet unfortunately!

Sorry, Nancy, up to my eyeballs the last couple of days with classes and more...

Cocoa powder doesn't really dissolve so much as it seems to get moistened and distributed (real chocolate, even unsweetened, has the cocoa butter as a carrier for the chocolate solids; if you can't do cream, I guess cocoa butter is out of the picture, eh?)

If you haven't sorted this out already (I haven't read the rest of this thread yet), I'd make a very smooth paste with whatever liquid you will have in your hypothetical Chocolate Curd, and then incorporate THAT in your beaten and cooking eggs...whatcha think?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 18:44
Registered Member

Quote:
The traditional stuff is very thick, a knife would stand up in it. It is spreadable, like Nutella. I suspect it is an English invention and I bet they put it on scones. Its extremely lemony and sweet and it'll make your tonsils writhe in lemony ecstasy. I have put it on French Toast, bread, yogurt, cottage cheese, directly on my tongue... anything I can think of! Oh yes, another thing I think people put it on is pound cake.

My version, without the butter, isn't quite so thick and is more like a custard or pudding versus a spread. Still extremely tasty on all the things I mentioned.

Here's the classic, though Kraft makes one too, IIRC! This is the English brand that's sold all over the world, runs about $5-6 Canadian for this jar...
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 09:54

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i'll try to dig it up for you.....the lemon chicken recipe.

i caved and had some and it was WONDERFUL!

Deb

Last edited by deb34 : Fri, Sep-16-05 at 09:56. Reason: reply not specific
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 10:02

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%
Default Lemon chicken w/lemon curd

i'm pretty sure this is the recipe my sister used. Looks exactly the same....

http://foodnetwork.com/food/recipes...6_19367,00.html

deb

Last edited by deb34 : Fri, Sep-16-05 at 10:03. Reason: link didn't work
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 10:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I made chocolate curd last night. Same basic recipe but I used unsweetened cocoa powder and some splenda sweetened chocolate chips (Mini-carb, Netrition has them).

Doing this in the microwave is harder than it seems. You really have to do it in short bursts (like 15 seconds), watch the temperature like a hawk. I think the double boiler is actually not difficult at all and results in a better.

So far my microwave attempts have almost curdled on each occassion. They definitely don't have the smoothness of the double boiler method.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 12:07
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

How do you make it with out the poly... stuff, I can't eat it. I see there was an 4 egg way, anyone know how to do it?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 12:19
Experimenter

BF:

Just leave it out, Lessara. No other change is necessary. Add however much splenda makes it taste right to you. The original recipe called for 3/4th cup of sugar but I vary the eggs so much that I have to taste the mixture before cooking it.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 13:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

<coming to>

did you say LEMON CURD!!!!!!!! I absolu-freaking-lutely ADORE lemon curd, have missing it horribly-usedto top cheesecakes with it, and no LC recipe is the same without it.

Basically, its lemon jelly without the pectin. made like a custard, its the eggs that do the thickening. And a WHOLE LOTTA SUGAR. which has always been the problem. Where does one find polydextrous? would my local uber organic store have it, or gnc? (course, theyre about useless for food stuffs these days). I already know my local safeway will not.

But I am definatley giving it a try. YAY!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 21:04
Experimenter

BF:

You can get buy without the PDX. Just use extra egg yolks. Actually, if you don't mind it being a bit looser, don't bother with the extra egg yolks.

My chocolate curd came out like a really, really thick, rich mousse. But with a fraction of the calories. *drool*

Here's a great spot for low carb baking products: http://www.honeyvillegrain.com/products/lowcarb.html

Even though you CAN do lemon curd in the microwave, I really recommend you use a double boiler (I put a stainless steel bowl over a pot of gently boiling water). It comes out so much smoother. You can also use bottled lemon juice but it just isn't as good as fresh. However, when I need a fix and I don't have fresh, I use bottled. But I do have frozen lemon zest in th efreezer from the last batch of fresh lemons I had.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 02:09
Registered Member

Quote:
I made chocolate curd last night. Same basic recipe but I used unsweetened cocoa powder and some splenda sweetened chocolate chips (Mini-carb, Netrition has them).

Did ya post it, huh?! The proportions, the recipe?!

ps: Netrition has Polydextrose now, I think, as well as Honeyville...whichever you order from (both have great shipping prices for the lower 48) it's best to order a bunch of stuff at once...
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 08:17
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Did ya post it, huh?! The proportions, the recipe?!

Pffft! As if I measured! Lets see, I used 3 giant tablespoons of cocoa powder and tossed in some splenda sweetened chocolate chips afterwards.

I wish you could buy unsweetened chocolate chips, those splenda ones are tasty, but they taste ok in this recipe.

I've also gone back to using the double boiler. You just can't get as good texture in the microwave, I've decided.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 18:21
Registered Member

Quote:
Pffft! As if I measured! Lets see, I used 3 giant tablespoons of cocoa powder and tossed in some splenda sweetened chocolate chips afterwards.

I wish you could buy unsweetened chocolate chips, those splenda ones are tasty, but they taste ok in this recipe.

I've also gone back to using the double boiler. You just can't get as good texture in the microwave, I've decided.

Yeah, yeah, yeah but at what point did you toss in all that cocoa??!!

For example, I melt my choc chips in the same glass measuring cup I'm melting my butter in (when I'm using butter, natch); so did you make a paste with the cocoa? and with what? and then whisk it into your cooking mixture at the beginning? or at the end just before final thickening?

Sheesh....

ps: I just break up the unsweetened chocolate instead of chips ... and have recently found some unsweetened (i.e., "chocolate liquor") Callebaut in a local HFS! Heavenly quality compared to Bakers' which is our only other option (usually) up here for unsweetened ...
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 20:11
Experimenter

BF:

Oh! I just added the cocoa to the raw eggs and splenda and beat it in really well. The chocolate chips I stirred into the hot mixture afterwards.

You know, it really reminds me of chocolate mousse! Oooh! Is chocolate liquor liquid? Wow, that sounds wonderful.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 08:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For unsweetened chocolate chips just make your own using bakers chocolate. Temper it, spread it out on a cookie sheet to cool then break it apart. There are recipies here to do it.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 19:13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
For unsweetened chocolate chips just make your own using bakers chocolate. Temper it, spread it out on a cookie sheet to cool then break it apart. There are recipies here to do it.

Bakers' is grainy and just hasn't got the right texture, IMHO Don't get me wrong, it's in my chocolate arsenal, I'm just happy when I can find a better quality unsweetened chocolate/chocolate liquor (which, sadly, is NOT liquid by the time it gets to retail, it just means the tempered chocolate base before adding sweetening and such, as I understand it. Ah, tradition.... )