Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default L-Carnitine

So I have searched through a lot of older posts and still cannot determine when is the best time to take L-Carnitine.

Most posts I found were from 2006 so I am thinking there may be some better or more updated info.

Does anybody know the best time to take L-Carnitine? I have been taking 1000mg after last meal (some bodybuilders forums I have read suggest taking it with high-carb meals).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-17, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOL
L-Carnitine?

Never heard of it.
I'm not sure it works.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12378044

Effect of L-carnitine on weight loss and body composition of rats fed a hypocaloric diet.

CONCLUSIONS:
The rat model used here did not show a positive effect of L-carnitine supplementation on weight loss and body composition of rats fed an energy-deficient diet. The animals' endogenous carnitine synthesis was obviously adequate to ensure efficient beta-oxidation of fatty acids during the catabolic phase.

In general it sounds safe, but if it is expensive for you, you might want to spend the money on good food, not on pills.