Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Welcome. My name is Bruce, and I live in Dartmouth. Good to see lots of low carb'ers around.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%
Talking

Well, one good thing about being a transplanted maritimer this time of year is that it is hovering between 22 and 25 degrees here. We're thinking of installing the air conditioner next weekend!
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 16:48

Stats: 196/173/130
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well I too am a transplanted Maritimer - formerly of Dartmouth, NS. I do NOT miss the winter, but I do miss the hot summer nights and the much friendlier people. Oh well.

As for low carb lifestyle - I have been getting SO MUCH FLACK from co workers and friends it is driving me nuts: "your brain requires more carbs", "sure, you've lost weight but you're just tricking your body - it'll get back at you later" WHAT-EV-ER!

Seems everyone in my circle is against me. Nevertheless I shall persevere.

Vancouver has been nice lately ... somewhere around the 24 degree mark - how are things back in NS?

ta ta!

#79   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 17:15

Stats: 256/250/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up Hello Maritimers

I have just joined this site and wanted to say hello to the other maritimers. I am from Eastern Passage, NS as well and have recently started Atkins. Having a bit of a struggle, but will perservere.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 03:25

Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Hi Everyone!

Just when I thought everyone had flown the coup surprise...surprise...this thread on Maritimers has popped up again ...after a wet and cold spring we finally have some sun and heat .... here in Fredericton we can get some HOT summer days...looking forward to the HEAT WAVE ...great to see this thread revived ...B
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 06:20

Stats: 235/229/185 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Everyone,

Transplanted Newfie now living in Charlottetown PEI. I have only been LCing for 1 week and lost 6 lbs, wife lost 2lbs. ( but i work harder then her...hehehe)

I have enjoyed the change in our eating pattern on this Atkins diet. We are eating a lot of salads...use any raw vegies and we all love them...I am somewhat suprised by my daughter (19 yo) who has taken to this like a duck to water...she loves it. Meat of all kinds is mixed in with our salads for lunches.. and coupled with some cheese or hard boiled eggs on side to round out the meal or as a snack mid morning / afternoon.... for desert my wife makes a LC jello which we enjoy even more then the store brand name jello. Last night she made a wonderful LC chicken soup.

I would like to know what you all are drinking for beverages, though, besides coffee- no here likes it- , tea or water? Anyone know how to make LC bread ?

Cheers,
Sandy
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 18:41

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Hi Everyone!

Wonderful, a thread for Maritimers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie
Just when I thought everyone had flown the coup surprise...surprise...this thread on Maritimers has popped up again ...after a wet and cold spring we finally have some sun and heat .... here in Fredericton we can get some HOT summer days...looking forward to the HEAT WAVE ...great to see this thread revived ...B

Fredericton is my home town!

I moved to the US about 8 years ago.

I hope you're getting better weather there than here in New England... it's done nothing but rain since May!
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 03:31

BF:
Default Beverages And LC Bread

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy99
Hi Everyone,

Transplanted Newfie now living in Charlottetown PEI. I have only been LCing for 1 week and lost 6 lbs, wife lost 2lbs. ( but i work harder then her...hehehe)

I would like to know what you all are drinking for beverages, though, besides coffee- no here likes it- , tea or water? Anyone know how to make LC bread ?

Cheers,
Sandy

Sandy...here is one recipe that I use all summer...Diet Iced Tea...usually now use Green tea but any kind of tea bags will do:

2 quarts (8 cups) water
3 Lipton tea bags (orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea blend)
**** I used decaffinated tea but I'm sure any kind will do....
3/4 Splenda

1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice (again adjust to taste)

**** We have gone through so much of this that when I make it I double the recipe.. great for sipping on a hot day...

1. Boil the water in a large saucepan over high heat.
2. When the water comes to a rapid boil, turn off the heat, put the tea bags into the water and cover.
3. After the tea has been steeped about an hour, pour the sugar
(Splenda) into a 2 quart pitcher, then add the tea. The tea will
still be warm, so the sugar will easily dissolve.
4. Add the lemon juice. Chill. Makes 2 quarts.

*** I also fill pitcher up with ice cubes and a lemon sliced.

There are several recipes for LC Bread here at this site under Recipes...I use one called Gabi's Cheesebread for Breadmakers...you can find the recipe here:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pe-bread23.html

Nice to meet ya... ..B
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 03:35

BF:
Default Re: Re: Hi Everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by Coriolis
Wonderful, a thread for Maritimers!

Fredericton is my home town!

I moved to the US about 8 years ago.

I hope you're getting better weather there than here in New England... it's done nothing but rain since May!

Yep it was hot and dusty yesterday and the forecast is the same for next week FINALLY some summer weather ......nice to meet you Coriolis ..B
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 17:43

Stats: 235/229/185 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 12%

hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the sugestions and tips. I ama little surprized this week. My first week was great, I felt good was not falling asleepat work in the PM....this week I am back to my old self and tired in the afternoon.......eating the same stuff as last week.... not sure what has changed but would like to gt the energy I had last week back again... ..

Has this happened to any one else out there?

Cheers,
Sandy
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 03:30

BF:
Thumbs up Check out this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy99
hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the sugestions and tips. I ama little surprized this week. My first week was great, I felt good was not falling asleepat work in the PM....this week I am back to my old self and tired in the afternoon.......eating the same stuff as last week.... not sure what has changed but would like to gt the energy I had last week back again... ..

Has this happened to any one else out there?

Cheers,
Sandy

Sandy take a moment to read this thread....just one of many that deals with tiredness...makes sure you are drinking plenty of water...eating foods rich in potassium and a good multivitamin...I did not experience tiredness at all in the first few weeks on PP as I made sure of all of the above...good luck...B

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...nd+multivitamin
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 03:59

BF:
Thumbs up Heat Wave

As the ole saying goes be careful what you wish for checked the thermometer yesterday and it was 102 degrees in the shade . ..needless to say I spent the day in my pool ...are the rest of you getting this hot weather?...know being in central NB when it gets HOT it stays HOT and HUMID..by the way Sandy hubby asked me to make some Diet Iced Tea so have some brewing as we speak ....B

Last edited by Bonnie : Fri, Jun-27-03 at 04:04.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 11:47

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

Yes, it's hot as Hades here in Boston too -- what a transformation from last week. From cold and rainy, straight into a heat wave! Oy! I know well the heat and humidity Fredericton gets -- I grew up with it. A little dip at Queen Square would always do the trick though.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 14:19

BF:
Thumbs up A little dip in Queen Square would always do it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Coriolis
Yes, it's hot as Hades here in Boston too -- what a transformation from last week. From cold and rainy, straight into a heat wave! Oy! I know well the heat and humidity Fredericton gets -- I grew up with it. A little dip at Queen Square would always do the trick though.

Coriolis....just came inside for a break from the heat yep, you never knew what went into those public pools after all the kids vacated at the end of the day but somehow at that age one didn't care ...my father was a WWII Veteran so I grew up on Veteran's Court in Marysville...just a skip across the field to the public pool and man I lived there all summer ..didn't matter if the temp was 65 degrees somehow we jumped right in ...I now live on a cliff on the northside ...I am 500 feet above the road below therefore the sun can get pretty intense but I love it...B

Last edited by Bonnie : Fri, Jun-27-03 at 14:49.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 18:05

Stats: 260/239/145 Female 5,4
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hello from a gal in Ontario. We are that is my hubbie and I to Halifax,Darthmout next week , going through Maine . The question is where do you get your low carb stuff? We are staying with family in Dartmouth so I'll be able to cook there but where do I buy it? I cannot bring it with me going through the states can I? Hugs,Lynn