Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 16:34
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I've made this with fresh peppers, however, it is way better with the canned green chilis the recipe calls for.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 17:12

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

sounds good to me
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-17, 02:20

Stats: 150/135/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

I made this Jack Chicken before in my skillet and it turned out great. My stove is on the blink and probably will be for a while. Is there any way that one could make this in a slow cooker? Any ideas from anyone on here. I LOVED the chicken cooked this way!!!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-17, 11:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've done a similar recipe in the slow cooker, but you still need to simmer the liquid out. I would omit the chicken broth and dairy. The chicken is going to have a lot of liquid cook out of it and it can't evaporate out of the slow cooker. Add liquids and cheese at the end sort of just by sight, and microwave or broil, if your stove isn't working.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 04:29

Stats: 150/135/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for relpying

Thank you for the feed back. I am not that great at cooking. Are you saying to take the cream and broth and microwave them and then add? I have no idea how long to microwave. Would be scared to use broiler as I would probably burn the chicken!!! Thanks so much!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-17, 07:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I just suggested the microwave and broiler at the end, to melt the cheese, as per the recipe and assuming you can't use your stovetop. Now that I think about it, I'd put nothing in the crockpot except the chicken and the can of chilies. It looks dry at the get-go, but the chicken will shed a lot of water (aka broth.) At dinner time when it's done, again assuming you can't use your stovetop, you'll want to drain off the "sauce" from the crock pot, and find a way of making it thick to your liking. Maybe just add a splash of cream? It's tough if you can't heat it on the stove... Then again, it's probably not that important to the flavor for it to be thick. It'll probably still taste good.