Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:35

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Pork Rinds...flavored!

My wife hates them, but I have always kind of liked them, especially the flavored ones.

I was excited to see they are an indulgence we can have on low carb and can be used for coatings, etc..

So I started shopping, and sadly, so far the flavored ones I found have sugar in them. Why do manufacturers feel like sugar has to be in almost everything? Because MSG freaks people out? (that's another subject..the stuff isn't as bad as people think).

So, my "cheffy" mind starts churning and I took some regular salted pork rinds, tossed them in a 1 gallon bag leaving plenty of room and shook in some Franks hot sauce powder in there (no sugar in that stuff but very salty for the salt concerned). Shaking the bag of course...and re-shake every time you grab it for a few to nibble on.

Really good! Albeit a bit salty because they were already salty and the Franks powder is salty. But in small doses, a great grab for some snacky crunch.

So..."word to the people"! Pork rinds with all their "nooks and crannies" (porosity for the technical minded) take up powdered flavor easily!

If I could find some unsalted pork rinds the Franks powder would be fantastic.

BUT! Even with salted pork rinds, a mix of fine or powdered seasoning is a great way to jazz those things up and take control of the ingredients and flavor profile yourself.

Keep with powdered or fine seasonings. Larger flakes etc. will not stick and stay as well and end up in the bottom of the bag.

It only ends with your imagination. I have found all kinds of powders on spice sites like MySpiceSageDotCom (not an ad, just who i have used, your mileage may vary). Including vinegar powders, cheese powder and even powdered soy sauce, Worcestershire (wash your sister sauce) powder and hot sauce powders...even lemon and citric and ascorbic acid powders.

This is a good way to buy the cheaper bulk size packaging and spare the expense of the flavored ones (in some cases they are more expensive) and have a variety of flavor only limited by your mind but also tuned to your preferences. And if there are unsalted ones...even better, but if you add salt, used the finest salt you can find so its not lost in the bottom of the bag.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Makes sense. I find the pre-flavoured pork rinds don't usually add enough flavour, anyways. They seem to think pork rinds are for people with delicate palates.

Maybe it's just the brand we get around here.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

good post Mr. Ken. I found new flaovr yesterday for the first time at the local Walmat called "Caliente" I think that's spainish for "mmm, mmm good!" Mac's brand. try $1.00 bag 2.5 oz
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 16:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Makes sense. I find the pre-flavoured pork rinds don't usually add enough flavour, anyways. They seem to think pork rinds are for people with delicate palates.

Maybe it's just the brand we get around here.

I totally get that. I am a power flavor guy. I like it hot, sour and salty…always could do without the sweet, but in some cases like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
good post Mr. Ken. I found new flaovr yesterday for the first time at the local Walmat called "Caliente" I think that's spainish for "mmm, mmm good!" Mac's brand. try $1.00 bag 2.5 oz

Please Thud, please…Ken is fine. I see you have been reading my posts grasshoppa…or maybe you are the sensei since you figured me out!

No that’s Spanish for “dayumm that’s hot!”

The wife and I were shopping at Walmart the other day, and that’s what inspired me on this. I was throwing in massive quantities of something similar in the cart all excited, can’t remember the exact name but is was a spicy version. Then I stopped, grabbed a bag and looked at the ingredients…and there is was...SUGAR…my new nemesis…

The idea came to be also because I have seasoning my own nuts…(get your mind out of the gutter)…

I started by literally washing off salted cashews, shaking them in colander until they stopped dripping the water, then seasoned the heck out of them with Franks dry seasoning turning them with a big spoon and shaking them around in the colander, then spreading out on a stoneware pan and roasting them in the toaster oven at around 200 degrees F just until dry.

I’ve never found nuts like mine anywhere…wait, that still didn’t sound right…
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 05:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding a downer to this thread, watch the carbs in nuts (esp. cashews! Not really nuts but a drupe) and the amounts eaten.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/nuts

And if you were a real southern chef, you would be frying your own pork rinds Had them in Lexington NC...they are a Whole ‘nother Food.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 09:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Adding a downer to this thread, watch the carbs in nuts (esp. cashews! Not really nuts but a drupe) and the amounts eaten.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/nuts

A great point, not a downer to the thread; this thread is about seasoning pork rinds…my nuts inclusion was about how I came to the idea so easily because I have begun to season my own stuff…like nuts, long before I ever decided to diet and lose weight. But I love to discuss stuff like this and debate and share facts…and LEARN

A person can’t go “nuts” with nuts on a low carb diet, that’s for sure. I always followed the advice of…of all people “Dr. Oz” (not because I follow any specific TV nutritional people, just because it stuck with me, made sense and he claimed its how he eats), who said he eats a handful of nuts every day.

Based on the link you provided, they consider 100grams three handfuls. Even before I dieted, I doubt I ever ate more than handful of nuts at a time/per day. I actually get tired of eating nuts after a handful, I’ve had my fill at that point (except peanuts...I have to be really careful with those). I can’t remember a time when I ever sat down with a whole bag or canister like they suggest you don’t do. I usually eat about a handful, which is 1/3 of the carb load of the 100grams (3oz) they use as an example.

Since starting low carb I’ve been following a printout from a South beach website. South beach being an extreme or low fat version of Atkins with massive vegetables used for the balance. This list allows 15 cashews OR 15 almonds. Maybe they are considering nut carbs a better carb for the impact? Granted, carb for carb the almond allows you to eat three times as much as Cashews if that is the only consideration. Since beginning my low carb induction I have been primarily eating the 30 pistachios allowed per day. About a handful…about 6 grams carbs. But not every day. A few times I have eaten the 15 cashews…and yes, literally counting them down to the half a cashew. I’ve been successful at 13lbs in 13 days of induction lost, so I guess I haven’t blown it doing this.

The macadamia nut is ranked as low carb in that link. A very tasty nut, but very expensive. I’m glad to see peanuts in the reasonable range.

That article is specifically based on Keto diet, so of course it is geared toward carbs…and only carbs and nothing but the carbs. Totally relevant for low carb numbers, I agree.

Here’s a chart of nuts/nutrients:

http://www.almonds.com/sites/defaul...0Web%20File.pdf

This is promoting almonds of course, but I’ll assume the other data is accurate. This is making me look twice at Brazil nuts. Not a nut I have eaten much of, but this chart seems to rank nuts in overall beneficial value from left to right. I haven’t ran all the numbers, so, I can’t say with surety.

Something that stood out to me in the Zero Sugar Diet book my wife has decided to follow

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Sugar-D...zero+sugar+book

Is, in order to successfully lose weight for most people, they still need to eat things they enjoy. My problem is I do not like almonds. They squeak between my teeth and leave a granular fibrous aftermath in my mouth. I can eat them, sure…but I can also eat a handful of flax seed. Not enjoyable, but doable.

My favorite nut of all is the cashew, I also like peanuts and pistachios and of course macadamia. I do not care for almonds, pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts…pine nuts are good, but like macadamia they are outrageously expensive for the American products. I avoid Chinese pine nuts (look that up, I won’t detail that here)

This article from HealthDotCom

http://www.health.com/health/galler...for-your-diet-0

Deals with overall health and nuts, not from just a carb perspective. Fortunately for me 2 of 3 of the best overall nuts for your diet are the Cashew and Pistachio…and also that pervasive superfood…the Almond…I wish I liked them more. The worst for your diet includes the Macadamia…one of the top winners of the low carb article shared above. I do use Macadamia in my pesto’s, because as expensive as they are, they are still cheaper than American pine nuts oz per oz and you cant tell the difference in a pesto.
It’s a shame I don’t like walnuts, they are apparently good for the heart. My mouth literally reacts to them and they never did taste right to me, with the exception of some baked dishes which we cant have on low carb...I dont like them raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And if you were a real southern chef, you would be frying your own pork rinds Had them in Lexington NC...they are a Whole ‘nother Food.

Ha ha! Yes many restaurants in the south offer these as table snacks or sides instead of fries, etc. They are outstanding. I’ve looked in to making them, it’s even too much for me and I will delve in to complicated cooking. You have to dehydrate the pieces of skin first; I have a dehydrator and I'm still not going to do them. The ones I had in restaurants are better than bagged, but like a $150 bottle of bourbon compared to a $50 bottle of bourbon, its not literally 3 times better...for me...to make it worth my time/vs. what I get to eat in the end.

I have deep fried some pork skin, and wasn’t happy with my results. And oddly enough, I’m not a fan of cracklin’s. The fat isn’t rendered enough for me. I end up eating the little bit of flesh off and tossing the fat. I love fat, just not like that.

Now chicken skin on the other hand…whenever I break down a whole chicken, I always keep the skin, because I make schmaltz. I roast the skin for as long as it takes at no more than 350F, slowly melting out the fat, and reserve that for cooking. An egg cooked in schmaltz (I’m not Jewish by the way) is a tasty experience similar to bacon fat in its own way. But once the skin is done releasing most usable fat and starting to get crunchy, I take it out, season it heavily with my homemade Cajun/creole seasoning (a modified Emeril’s Essence recipe) and back in until it totally crisps up. Soooo good, and the facts are, the fat from skin, especially poultry skin is really good for you. I won’t delve in to that here, people can look it up. My wife won’t touch it…she doesn’t even like the “fattiness” of thick cut bacon. Not from a nutrition sense, she just doesn’t like the mouth feel...like me with cracklins.

Back to store bought pork rind flavorings. My next experiment will be to make up a batch of my Cajun/Creole without the salt and shake with the pork rinds. Then, same deal with my southwestern seasoning. Just eliminate the salt. Then, maybe something with herbs, maybe even some shaker Parmesan further finely powdered in a spice grinder to see how some Parmesan herb tastes with them!

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sun, Jan-14-18 at 10:11.