Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 14:44

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default induction diet foods?? i'm confused

i'm just starting the atkins ndr and am slightly confused? what is this you are talking about carbs/fiber cancelling each other out in some foods? are you subtracting the amount of fiber from the amount of carb? does this really work?

ive only been on induction 2 days and am having to start over. my husband made brownies and i succumbed to temptation. then yesterday he brought me a big bowl of ice cream when he got hisself some. i'm sure he knows i was starting a diet but hey he is man and probably immediately forgot. it also doesnt help that he has the opposite problem that i do. he is underweight and i am overweight.

i noticed the first and second day of induction i did fine until the evening but i really needed something to satisfy my sweet tooth. maybe more psychologically than actually physically. we can eat diet jello right? on induction is there a limit, i'm not planning on eating 20 diet jellos a day, but can i eat 2 diet jello cups if i want on induction and not screw it up?

i am also going to the store to stock up on induction diet foods. i did not really do that ahead of time and was just kind of winging it and that just made the temptation too easy.

looking forward to your advice!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello and Welcome. Here are some answers to your questions.

All vegetables and fruits and grains contain fiber which is a carbohydrate which humans cannot digest, so it passes out the other end. The recent editions of Atkins agree with Protein Power plan that this fiber can be subtracted from the total carbohydrate amount.

So if you eat a vegetable which has 12 carbs per cup, but it has 8 grams of fiber, you only need to count it as 4 grams of carbs. Be very careful to read labels or use www.fitday.com to enter your food and it will figure out your carbs etc.

When that sweet craving hits, a very effective way to take care of it and still stay on your eating plan is to EAT SOME PROTEIN INSTEAD. Tell yourself that you know that you want something sweet and you can have it IF you still want it AFTER you eat some meat. I never remember to go back for the sweet.

About the diet Jello cups: why 2, why not just one? You are allowed as much meat as you need to not be hungry. Wanting sweets is mostly habit. Besides, some people stall from artificial sweeteners so keep them as low as possible.

I'd also advise that you avoid "diet foods" which are substitutes for foods you might never eat again. Stay with REAL FOOD: meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, vegetables and salad instead. And you CAN have butter, creamy salad dressings or oils - all the usually forbidden foods.

It will only take a few days before you wonder why you ever liked potatoes.

All the best.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 21:13

Plan: adkins
Stats: 187/169/130 Female 62
BF:30%

wow Jedswife your just starting and you've already lost that much- how did you loose the first 60? I'm new too I'm going to buy the book been just relying on a friend and I'm not doing everything right only been eliminating the carbs and keeping them to no more then 20- drinking more liquid- Ice Tea no sweetner and eating more meat, eggs, cheese etc. The Hershey low carb bars are good too
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 21:40

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Have two jellos is fine, they have 0g carb (at least the jello and walmart brands do, royal has 1g) and are very low in calories too. So enjoy the jello and dont worry so much about having 1 or 2, just have what you want.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 09:22
Registered Member

Stats: 145?/145?/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

If I find a product that some brands say has a carb or two, while other brands say 0, I assume that the one that says 0 is really like .9 and count it as one. Better to be safe than full of too many carbs!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 10:57

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:

Hi, induction is hard on people who like their sweets. But, just like tofi said, if you stick with it, it won't be but 4-5 days before the cravings are not so strong or even there at all. I know what you mean about your husband bringing those snacks to you. Same thing here. Hubby is not overweight and I am. He knows that I am dieting but if he buys something for him, he gets me one too. I think he feels guilty because he is eating and you're not supposed to. So, if he gets you one and you don't eat it, that was your choice and he doesn't feel so guilty. I do okay the first two days of induction too. It's the 3rd and 4th that get to me. But, if you can make it past those bad days, it will be easier from then on out. And if I wanted 2 jello's I would eat them. At least that will help you get past those bad days. better to have two jellos than a brownie or ice cream, right? Hang in there. It is tough at first, but I promise it gets easier.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/157/135 Female 5foot7inches
BF:bit to much
Progress: 21%

Hi all, man I wish i liked Jello, I am on day 4 of induction for the second time. I am having a hard time with snacks in the evening that arnt loaded with salt. I love beef jerky, I guess i'm eating to much cause the roof of my mouth is really soar. I just hate the texture of jello. But good luck all
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Stats: 264/218.5/155 Female 5'9"
BF:43%/38%/23%
Progress: 42%

It is a really good idea to have high protein snacks in the house at all times...if not you may turn to the foods that you shouldn't when you want a snack. Some good ideas are deviled eggs, pepperoni, I like to put them in the microwave and melt some shredded cheese on top. Celery with cream cheese, I like to make spinach dip and use fresh veggies for dipping.
Whatever you do, don't give into the sweet cravings...these sweet cravings will go away. The purpose of induction is to get us over the cravings so give it some time and eventually the cravings will go away. I don't think 1 or 2 sf jellos will hurt...sometimes they do cause stalls though so be careful. I hope I have helped a little bit and gave you a few ideas. Good luck on the woe!