Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 07:38

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 208/200/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default a question about ketosis

hi folks:
i've only been on this diet since april but since the initial weight loss of 11 lbs of which i gained back 2.5, i have not lost anymore. i have yoyoed a tiny bit but basically i'm still around 200. the thing is i've only been out of ketosis 2 times in 8 weeks. how can you be in moderate ketosis and not loss weight?
i thought that as long as you are in ketosis you are burning fat.
appreciate all the help and encouragement i've already received almost feel guilty for being and info hog.
thanks folks,
jane anne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 07:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Jane,

You can still be in Ketosis and loose inches, but not necessarily weight - water retention and all that. Have you measured yourself? If you do, remember as well as weight, it doesn't always show results since you can loose inches in so many different unmeasurable places.

Plus just about everyone goes through a bit of weight loss and then a little lull, while the body gets used to it, and adjusts intself. If you are sticking to plan, don't worry (easier said than done!) it will come off!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 08:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Jane Anne,

I took a peek through your journal, and noticed a few things. First off, I see some cheats and indiscretions, but I realize those are recent (birthdays, showers etc) so might not explain a long-standing stall. However, if you can think back for yourself, and see that maybe you've been having treats and cheats here and there, that may well be what has derailed you. It's not enough to make you gain, but it's stalled your fat-burning. The reason you still test positive for ketones is that your body will continue to break down the fat you EAT and convert it to ketones, even though it's using the carbs you ate for fuel.

Some other things I notice is that you're not eating eating enough ... I suggest you start using fitday.com (it's free) to track your daily intake; you'll be surprised. Your metabolism will slow right down to a crawl if you consistently consume too few calories in a day, usually 1200 - 1300 for an average woman. I also didn't see a lot of vegetables or salads. But I did see sweet fruits There is no nutrient in fruit that can't be found in vegetables except SUGAR.

I also notice that you're eating eggs, cheese and processed meats DAILY. Although these foods are low in carbs, eating them day in and day out for weeks and weeks and weeks can lead eventually to tolerance and then to intolerance. Especially dairy products. Try varying your menu, and not have the same thing every day. You've mentioned possible candida-yeast and gut problems, so you know the importance of rotating the diet. BTW, "Food and the Gut Reaction" has been re-published, and is now called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet". For more information and resources about candida and bowel problems with low-carb, check out the Candida Yeast & IBS forum. I've posted some web and book resources that you might find helpful; it's in a sticky post at the top of the messages list.

And last but not least, it would be good to start exercising ... even going for a daily walk will be of great benefit for you, not just weight loss, but overall health. You need to get moving in order to turn up your metabolic thermostat

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 11:26

BF:

Thanks folks for all the info and help. i will try to very my diet, add more exercise, and good veggies to my diet. i'm just so distracted right now it's been kind of hard to sort things out. when aaron gets married next week it'll unclog my brain and emotions.....hopefully.
as for "fitday.com" i find it so complicated and when my brain is overwhelmed, it just shuts down. it refuses to compute. i will try again after the wedding to figure it all out, though.
thanks again,
jane anne
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 11:46
Forum Founder

BF:

Awwww, big hugs for you!

I just thought as I was reading ... STRESS is a staller! Your body releases stress hormones .. coritisols, noradrenalin, dopamine .. these will raise blood sugar and trigger insulin and fat-storage --- in preparation for the "fight or flight" it thinks is coming. And the adrenalin too .. it's keeping you going, but your batteries are dying fast!!! The wedding will be so exciting and wonderful, but do try if you possibly can to SCHEDULE some R&R time for yourself NOW. Insist on it ... 30 minutes a day of quiet stress-free time just for you. Maybe a gentle walk in the early evening, by yourself, no wheelchairs to push .

You deserve to have the energy left to actually enjoy the wedding day too

All the best to you, and don't fret about the stall now. Be happy and content that you can maintain ... just focus on your health and SANITY for now.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 12:25

BF:

oh thank you, doreen for the hug. i can't explain it but i felt a bit weepy today (not at all myself) and really in need of a hug.
i guess i am stressed although i hadn't thought of myself in that way. actually i thought i was handling things very well (i have been known to live in denial a time or two)
what i need i think is a few belly laughs, some music and yes, a quiet walk alone. i'll have to wait for that as gerry is with me until tomorrow night and he can not be left alone.
there are some things i'm very concerned about that i can't share with family or even some of my friends. like ....... how do i handle my exhusband at this wedding with his girlfriend, and do i have to sit with him at the ceremony, etc. it's my son's wedding, and i want it to be full of joy for him and his beautiful bride be the anticipation of all that other stuff is kind of bothering me and yet i know once in the middle of it all i'll be okay. i know that these are things that no one can help me with. i just wish that i could zero in on the reality that i always come through in the moment.
time to climb out of the pond of despond..............bring on the music and the jokes, i'll go out and get a funny movie for this evening and that will help a lot.
thanks again, doreen and everyone hugs to you all

jane anne
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi there Jane Anne. I hope you will be able to enjoy the wedding too.

A couple of points of "Ex-Etiquette" for your son's wedding:

A simple "Hello" is all that is required to either Ex or his girl friend. Don't add "how are you?' unless you really want to know. "how nice for (Son) that you are able to be here" is also fine.

"Ex" stands in the receiving line, if you have one, but girl friend does not. (Neither does your new partner if there is one.) Put one of the bride's parents between you on the grounds of "being able to introduce each other's friends and relatives".

Ex & friend sit at a different table than you do. Only the bridal party sits at the head table (bride, groom, maid of honour & best man, ushers & bridesmaids)

These are correct ways of behaving in these 'modern' and complicated times.

Have a good time.

BarB

#8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 15:59

BF:

thanks barb for your timely info. just 1 ;more question if you don't mind. do i have to sit with him during ceremony.
thanks again, i'm starting to feel more secure.
i'm determined to have a lovely time no matter what.
jane anne
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 07:00
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Maybe ya'll can sit on the same row, but just put grandma, grandpa and an aunt or two in between. I think you should sit closest to the aisle and he on the other end. Just figure out a way to do it and make sure he's clued in at the rehearsal!! I'm sure you're not the first to deal with this situation....maybe go to Barnes & Noble and pull a few wedding etiquette books off the shelf and see how it's normally handled. Or ask you friends how they think you should handle the seating! Just come up with a PLAN so that you know what to expect.

I sympathize with you, hon. You'll be fine.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 08:43
Forum Founder

BF:

I just did a quickie web search, and the unanimous verdict is that divorced parents should be seated in separate pews.
Quote:
If the parents of the bride or groom are divorced they are seated in separate pews. For example the mother in the first and father in the second. Alternatively there may be a few rows of family member seated in-between if extra "space" is required. (from ourmarriage.com)
Quote:
During the ceremony, the groom's parents may all sit on the groom's side of the aisle. Just arrange for them to be seated in different rows. During the reception, there can be three parents' tables: One for the bride's family, one for the groom's father and his family, and another for the groom's mother and her family.(from iVillage.com)
If the groom and his father are close, his father may sit in the first row with the mother, separated by a few relatives if desired. But the father's new wife/family will be seated in a separate row.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 10:17

BF:

thank you, doreen for being so gracious as to look up the wedding etiquet for me, i'm feeling better already.
the info will help tremendously for the rehearsal.
thanks again
jane anne