Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/310/185 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Low carb vs Extra Low Fat Diets

While perusing Youtube I came across 3 diet plans. One was being a Fruitarian (all fruit), The Starch Diet (Potatoes,pasta, rice) and the other was 30 Bananas a Day (extra low fat with pasta and rice and large portion being fruits). All 3 diets propose eating huge amounts (pounds and pounds) of food and being lean and healthy. They have pictures of Low Fat doctors being lean and Low Carb doctors being heavy. Are they on to something? Or, is it our bodies just can't handle 2 energy sources (fat and carb) at the same time? If anyone has tried these diets can you also comment on how they worked,etc?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 11:00
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall21
While perusing Youtube I came across 3 diet plans. One was being a Fruitarian (all fruit), The Starch Diet (Potatoes,pasta, rice) and the other was 30 Bananas a Day (extra low fat with pasta and rice and large portion being fruits). All 3 diets propose eating huge amounts (pounds and pounds) of food and being lean and healthy. They have pictures of Low Fat doctors being lean and Low Carb doctors being heavy. Are they on to something? Or, is it our bodies just can't handle 2 energy sources (fat and carb) at the same time? If anyone has tried these diets can you also comment on how they worked,etc?

Thanks
I haven't but seriously, if one uses any of these 3 forms of "diets" to lose weight, what HAPPENS after....

Is it sustainable? Do you continue eating that way? If not, then you'd probably gain all the weight back!

Be interesting to see if any of the LCers here have ever tried these "diets"!

I'm gonna stick to my tried and true LC WOE journey since I am über carb sensitive...

Last edited by Just Jo : Tue, Dec-22-15 at 11:01. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 11:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I tried the fruit diet many, many years ago. I lost a few pounds and was ...."very regular" lol. So it worked. I managed to stay on it pretty much for about three months........until will power and complete hatred of fruit took over and I just had to have something stodgy and non sweet. So, just like so many other diets, its a will power thing and - well for me, totally unsustainable for very long

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 11:35

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I never tried any of these because I knew I'd never be able to stick to them, even until I lost weight, let alone forever. Will Power and I are not acquainted.

I will stick with what I know works (for me) forever.

take care,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 12:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I think the question of whether these diets can be sustained is the key issue here. How many nutrients are being sacrificed by eating this way long term? How long will the body stay healthy with little or no healthy protein or a very narrowly effective, limited type of protein? How long can people eat this way without their metabolism and brain forcing them to include something else? When I was carb adapted and the majority of my macros were carbs, I had to eat frequently and desired to consume more carbs even when I consumed fat and protein. Just sayin' . . .
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-15, 09:00
Registered Member

Stats: 310/310/185 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It is somewhat intriguing that cutting out almost all fat without decreasing calories will also result in weight loss. Maybe our bodies only want 1 energy source. Hmmmm
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-15, 09:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I tried an ultra low fat diet in the 80s (Pritikin). It worked, I lost about 17 pounds and looked (for the first time ever in my life) gaunt - to the point that my head looked too big for my body. Was it sustainable? As soon as I went on vacation and did not have access to my very austere foods, I began to put the weight back on. Within 3-6 months, it was all back. When I quit smoking a year later, I quickly added even more.

I think that for some people with good ability to process carbs (young, active, good metabolism), low fat can work to take off the weight. But in my experience it is impossible to maintain and does not result in the sort of healthy body proportions and high energy level that one gets with high fat/low carb.

Will it work for you, pitfall? There's only one way to find out.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-15, 10:05

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

After being stalled for years on LCHF I decided to try the Potato Hack diet this year which is essentially fat free, and just potatoes with some fat-free condiments - I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, cider vinegar, mustard, salsa.

Clearly it's not a "for life" eating plan on its own, but I find it super satisfying. The potatoes taste good, my blood sugar readings are way better than on LCHF, and I've lost nearly 40 pounds since incorporating it into my WOE.

I think it's the fat PLUS carbs which is the really bad combo. I love LCHF but I think the Potato Hack plan may certainly become part of my long-term eating strategy. Sagehill here on these forums used it for a while where she did PH during the week and LCHF on weekends, and had a lot of success with that. I can see doing that too - sort of a 5:2 diet in reverse.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-15, 13:36

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

30 Bananas a Day , I about spit my water at my monitors at my desk. I have herd of the fruit one. My friend that is a girl is on this and it lasted about 2 weeks for her. Do what works, but this LCHF life style is great. I am down to the weight I was when I was 18 and I am 33 now. I love the plan and will never go back.