Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%
Question 41 days induction.....

Hi, I am Melanie, I have been on this diet for 41 days, I have stayed with induction, I lost 11 pounds in the first two weeks, and then nothing. I am walking every morning and eating less than 20 carbs a day, and have not lost any weight. What should I do? I need a little support, I am getting discouraged.
When I started on May 1st I weighed 180, am now to 169, would like to make it to 145. I would be happy at that weight. I have been really trying, and I know that 11 pounds in 41 days is good, I am proud of that, but have not lost any in awhile.
I hope I am not doing something wrong....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 18:43

BF:
Question Another Question...

I also would like to know when I see the phrase
" Some people need to tweak their diet" What exactly does that mean? ....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 18:46
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Melanie, welcome aboard

There could be a number reasons why you seem to be stuck. It would really be helpful if you posted a sample day's menu, with amounts. Then we might be able to pinpoint some trouble areas for you.

I'm sure there's a solution. Hope to hear from you soon

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 18:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: Another Question...

Quote:
Originally posted by Melameter
I also would like to know when I see the phrase
" Some people need to tweak their diet" What exactly does that mean? ....
That means, when you've been lowcarbing for a while, following your chosen program as written ... you might find that you need to make some changes to individualize this to YOU specifically. Dr Atkins talks about this in DANDR (I have the 1999 edition, blue cover) in chapter 23, "Eating Your Way to Permanent Slimness in the Real World".

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 19:03
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi!!

Your experience is very similar to my own....and we've got very similar stats. I'm older than you by 11 years, so keep that in mind when I relate my "advice".

Doreen has suggested that you start and keep a journal .... which is really important so we can get a good idea what you're eating. It's even better if you keep track of your intake on fitday.com and copy/paste the daily counts in that journal. That's where the "tweaking" comes in.

Everyone is unique, that's for sure. Depending on your age, dieting history, current medications, activity level, etc. there are adjustments you may need to make to your intake or your mental attitude .

For me it was a matter of accepting that I will lose more slowly than the girl who is 23 and 100 lbs. overweight.... she's going to lose a lot faster than me and I can't be discouraged that I'm not losing at the same rate as her.

"Tweaking" also means perhaps increasing your protein, increasing water, adjusting supplements, increasing/decreasing fat, determning your BMR and monitoring calories more closely, .... things like that. From my time on this board, I've realized that taking charge of my health and weight is a SCIENCE. If I want to succeed I'm going to have to be an active participant, do some research and make adjustments to see what works for ME. Now, not everyone is like that....but it does seem like the folks that are within 20-30 lbs. of goal (like you) will have to do these things to reach goal. The alternative is to not worry about it too much, stick to the plan and be patient. Patience is the tough one.

If you visit here daily, post in your journal and ask questions, you'll learn a TON of things you never knew about how your body works. .... and you'll be so glad you did. These are lessons for LIFE!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 16:41

BF:
Default Hi Doreen & Terridoodle...

I am so glad to hear from you, it is a little hard to do this diet when you have no one to talk to about it, and so many Questions???
I am going to put my menu down for the last 2 days, I have been keeping a journal since I started, so here goes...
1cup of decaf coffee with 1 splenda and a little splash of heavy whipping cream. 3 strips of pork loin grilled in skillet. 16oz. water.
For lunch, we went out to eat at a mexican food place, so I figured the safest thing to eat was the fahitas with no beans, rice or tortillas. It had steak, cheese, a little bell pepper, Small amount of onion, a scoop of guacomole, and a little pico de gallo, (I know that tomatoes are higher than some vegatables so I raked most of those off) Had a big glass of water with lunch.
Snack- 1carb candy bar mmmm....1.3 grams countable carbs, it says.
For supper, I had a sirloin steak, and a glass of diet peach soda, it says no carbs.
Also at some time through the day I had 2 slices of deli style turkey, and a few pork skins. Had several 16 oz. glasses water through the day, probably about 5 glasses.
Also walked 1 1/2 miles.
Next day, for breakfast 3 pieces of sausage (Owens Extra Mild) A diet soda, 16 oz. water.
Lunch two slices turkey with slice of cheese in the middle, and a bit of sirloin left over from supper.More water....also had a little cream cheese with vanilla and splenda, I make little cookie sized snacks out of them and freeze them, I ate 2 of those, probably about an ounce total.
Drank lots of water, everyday, to the point I cant sleep for needing to go to the restroom
Snacked on some pork skins and 1 strawberry.
For supper, feeling lazy, so had a can of vienna sausage, also says no carbs.And had 1/2 cup of squash cooked in whipping cream butter and a little splenda. Also ate another carb candy bar.
Also should add, I take 2 carb solution vitamins everyday, so that adds an extra gram each day, and have also started taking some acidophulus, I fear I may have yeast trouble.
In the beginning of my diet I got a sinus infection and had to take antibiotics, which caused me to have yeast infection Dr. gave me 1 Diflucan which cleared up the itchy symptoms, but I have been having heartburn pretty bad. And hungry for sweets, Have not given in to temptation except fot the carb candy.
I didnt intend to write a book, but maybe if you know something about me, you will have some wonderful tips to help me out with my diet. I dont know alot or I would try to give you some tips too. But I'm learning everyday. I really love this diet, I just love the fact that I CAN eat!!!!And I drink enough water to float a boat.......
Anyway if you see something in there that I should do different, I will try my best. I may need to eat more vegatables, but I find I have a hard time, I love salad, but only with ranch dressing and it all says it has sugar in it, and the Hidden Valley calls for milk...
Let me know what you think, and thanks so much for your time........ Melameter
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 19:31
Starting Over!

Here are my observations and hints.

1) Very first thing I want you to do is look at the label on the low-carb candy bar. How many servings are in each bar? The ones I ate at first were Carbolite bars and they counted each bar as being FOUR servings - with 2 carbs per serving. No more Carbolite bars for me!!

2) I would say trade in the candy bars for the Ranch dressing!! You really, really need your salads and vegetables and that may be part of your solution, too. They provide essential micronutrients that you just won't get out of a pill. If you stick to the plan, soon you'll find you really crave the taste of good veggies....what could be better than that!!?

3) You might want to try cutting back on salt....watch the sausage, fajitas, and especially pork rinds! I know its hard to do, but just be aware of how much salty foods you're eating and don't do too many in one day.

You really are doing fine otherwise. You haven't "stalled" or anything, your body is just going through its normal adjustments. I go for weeks without losing anything and then suddenly I'll lose 2-3 lbs overnight. This is quite common and is something you have to learn to get used to or else you can get quite discouraged.

My best advice is to just get comfortable with this WOE and accept that it may (or may not) take more time than you expected for the weight to come off. You're enjoying your foods, your energy level and general feeling of health and well being....above all you're not hungry, nor do you feel guilty when you have a snack between meals.... all those benefits are really worth whatever downside you may have to deal with, right? And what's the alternative anyway?

Just stick around these boards, stay away from sweets as much as possible, EAT YOUR SALADS, and keep drinking that water!! A loss of 1-2 lb./ month would be considered a success for you, so keep that in mind and just hang in there!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: lean for life
Stats: 168/159/129
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile Keep going!

Melameter, congratulations on your progress so far!

It may seem hard to take when you've been so good and the scale has not rewarded you yet - but it WILL!

I try to think about it this way - I would be happy losing 1 to 2 pounds per week (better than gaining!) so if I lose 3 or 4 or 5 in one week I'll just take it as an advance to the next week - that way if I don't lose anything the next week I'll just feel like I'm at the point I need to be at this time.

It would be great if weight loss was linear - I would know what I have to do, and how much weight would come off to the second - but it does not work that way and seems to happen in spurts. Unfortunately most of us panic and feel that we are doing something wrong or that our body just won't cooperate. Just be patient.

And also make sure to take note of other factors - like measurements!

Do you exercise? Starting to work out will not only make you feel great, but may also boost your weight loss.

Finally, the support can take you a long way - and it is wonderful that you found this forum because one thing it's full of is support! I personally am thrilled - its a lot easier when you don't do your journey alone.

Best of luck!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 08:32

BF:
Default Goodbye Carbolite bars.....

) I was eating the carbolite bars also, so I will quit that, I think they were giving me a stomach ache anyway. I did better last night and ate some shish ka bobs with summer squash, a little green pepper, mushrooms and steak. I am like alot of people I have read about, I have never been a vegetable eater, and I am not just crazy about eggs, I like miracle whip better than mayonaise, so I am trying to adapt to a whole new way of eating. So I find myself alot of times just eating a hamburger pattie by itself or something because I dont really care to much for greens or egg salad, I guess I should get into a carb recipe book for ideas.
I appreciate all of the tips and the info, I guess I would have eaten carbolite bars on and on, I never noticed the 4 servings. I guess I better pay closer attention, I wondered how they could make them taste so good, with only 1.3 carbs.
And I also want to say thanks to Nike for the support, you are so right, the weight does not just fall off of your bones on any other diet, and is not going to on this one, but I have never been happier on any other diet. I am going to stop jumping on the scales looking for a miracle, and keep eating (more greens ) And think of it more as a way of life instead of a diet.I will eventually get to my goal.
And I'm on my way to get those carbolite bars out of my house, and the pork skins too! Thanks so much, Melameter....
P.S. I wonder how it would be to make the hidden valley ranch dressing with heavy cream instead of milk?, I think I will try it. I dont have to eat much, just a little to flaver the salad. What do you think?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 09:02
Starting Over!

Thumbs up Good girl!!

Your attitude is excellent!! You'll do fine You'll learn to appreciate the taste and texture of vegetables before the summer's out, I'll bet!! Just wait and see!

As for the ranch dressing, you absolutely can use cream .... just thin it with water to get a "milk consistency" and you probably won't notice the difference!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 09:53

BF:
Default Thanks Terridoodle

I am going to try the ranch dressing like that, and I bet your right.
I also would like to know if it is normal to have like stomach cramps. One day last week, I got really bad ones, and then last night I was up alot of the night with the same, It is somewhat different than a cramp when you are menastrating.
Its hard to explain it kind of burns. Also have really liquidy stools. Is this something that happens, something I am eating? Any suggestions?
It is not comforatable..... Melameter
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:58
Starting Over!

Most likely it's the carbolite bars.... they tend to do that. I believe it even has a warning on the label! Lay off those things and see if it gets better in a couple of days.

Are you eating any of the Atkins (or any other) lo-carb bars at all?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:33

BF:
Default Terridoodle....

No, I tried them but did not like them, they have a chalky texture to me. I dont know how bad it is to mix a little heavy cream with cream cheese and splenda, with a small amount of vanilla, but that is what I have been doing some time when I am really hungry for something sweet, I just put little spoonfuls on a piece of wax paper and freeze them, like a little cookie, once in awhile I eat a couple of them. I have gotten rid of the carbolite candy. I am still having a little trouble with my bowels for two days now...
I have been cutting back on my cheese and things for fear of yeast problem, but maybe I need to eat a little. I have really been feeling low energy today, I did not even go walk, (have been everyday) I feel a little drained. But I will get over it. Maybe just tired.
I wonder how many people like me are eating those carbolite, without realizing there are more Carbs in them than you think? It just sort of leads you to beleive there are only 1.3g.
I have been checking the labels on everything I eat since. I am trying to hard to mess up, exspecailly when I dont even know I am doing it!
Also tried the ranch dressing like we talked about and I am very pleased, I will enjoy my salad alot more now. Thanks again...You are full of wonderful advise.A big help to me.....Melameter
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 20:46
Starting Over!

Arrow Supplements

Well, now let's talk about supplements!! Which ones are you taking?

If you're feeling tired, I'd like to recommend that
1) you review how much water you're drinking and MAKE SURE it's at least 64 oz minimum.....80 would be even better.
2) You may want to take a potassium supplement (400 mg) for a while until you increase your carbs. That can make a big difference in the way you feel.
3) You need to take a calcium-magnesium supplement, too.
4) This is all assuming that you also taking a good multi-vitamin (w/o iron is best)

Oh yes, it's important to check the labels very carefully ... especially on "lo-carb" products! Tricky, tricky!!

Happy that the ranch dressing turned out okay for you! I KNOW that makes you happy!!

You know you really should start a journal....and we could have this conversation in there...that way it will always be at hand for you later on. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Have you checked out www.fitday.com yet? Very cool place where you can keep track of your food/carb counts!

I'm happy to help you in any way I can!! Just holler!

Hey, whereabouts is your ranch? Is it purdy?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 09:57

BF:

I will check out fitday.com, and the only supplement that I have been taking is called carb solution, I will get me some potassium and the others you talked about, I'm sure I need to, I have been noticing a little cramping in my leg muscles, I have always heard that is lack of potassium?
And I live in the big city of Cherokee Texas. If you ever come through here and blink you will miss it. I dont actually live in Cherokee, but it is the closest town to me. And yes it is PURDY, I dont think I could stand to live in town after living out in the country. We raise trophy sized whitetail bucks, and a few cattle and antelopes.
And of course, RATTLESNAKES... I hate that part!
I will check out the journal, now... Melameter