Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default Vegans and vegetarians may think they’re 'eating healthy.' They’re not

My apologies if this has already been posted by someone. I have it in an open tab of mine and I can't remember where I found it.

Quote:
Vegans and vegetarians may think they’re 'eating healthy.' They’re not

More than 7 million Americans are now vegetarian, and more and more are converting every year. The number of vegans in the U.S. increased by 600 percent between 2014 and 2017.

And while it is true that predominantly plant-based diets have numerous benefits, they can also cause several underappreciated health problems.

The reason? Those who avoid animal food products often do not get enough B-12, the much-needed vitamin found in animal products that helps build red blood cells, repair DNA, and protect the brain.

That could be dangerous. Whether through more animal foods, including eggs and dairy, or a dietary supplement, Americans must ensure they get enough of this essential but scarce micronutrient.

Most vegans, those who don’t eat any animal products, and vegetarians, who don't eat red meat, seafood, or poultry, are short on B-12. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found nine in 10 vegans had below-normal levels of B-12. Vegetarians fare a bit better thanks to dairy and eggs, but they also fall short -- more than two in three are below normal in B-12. And about 55 percent of children on a vegetarian diet have inadequate B-12 levels, according to a study by researchers at East Carolina University.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018...thy-re-not.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 10:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Billy, you bring up an important point about eating food, and I will piggy back it with a discussion yesterday, and another one today.

Meats provide many important nutrients. Beef particiularly--The B vitamins for sure, but also zinc though in small amounts. It is the best absorbed iron source. The best zinc source is oysters---- Otherwise meats including all kinds of animal sources and eggs supply amino acids in a complete form. That is every bite contains all the essential amino acids that we require. Plants contain a little of this and a little of that, and need to combined in carefully determined combinations to be sure that all the essential amino acids are aquired on a daily basis.

One cannot become a haphazard vegetarian or vegan. I know of one child permanently disabled due to a misguided mother that fed a poor diet. By two the child was disfunctional-- lack of meats and proper amount of fats/oils. I wonder if that mother thought it was worth her choices. ( I had to avoid her in fear I might say something she deserved.)

That is the glory of meats in regards to protein and fats.

As far as micronutrients, the meats provide many macronutrients that are not in vegies, and are a reflection of the feed they are given to eat. Had a college friend send me an article about the newspaper material included in the feed for cattle. Really!

Otherwise there is the pleasure of biting into a juicy hamburger and that many of us cannot handle vegetable matter in any appreciable amount due to poor insulin responses.

What we eat matters. How it is fed matters. How it is housed matters.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 10:50

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"...And about 55 percent of children on a vegetarian diet have inadequate B-12 levels..."

Throw the children in there to add more "skareyNess" to the article. Vegans can ethically supplement can't they?

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/V...thProfessional/
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 10:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

BUT do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

One cannot become a haphazard vegetarian or vegan.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Billy, you bring up an important point about eating food, and I will piggy back it with a discussion yesterday, and another one today.

Meats provide many important nutrients. Beef particiularly--The B vitamins for sure, but also zinc though in small amounts. It is the best absorbed iron source. The best zinc source is oysters---- Otherwise meats including all kinds of animal sources and eggs supply amino acids in a complete form. That is every bite contains all the essential amino acids that we require. Plants contain a little of this and a little of that, and need to combined in carefully determined combinations to be sure that all the essential amino acids are aquired on a daily basis.

One cannot become a haphazard vegetarian or vegan. I know of one child permanently disabled due to a misguided mother that fed a poor diet. By two the child was disfunctional-- lack of meats and proper amount of fats/oils. I wonder if that mother thought it was worth her choices. ( I had to avoid her in fear I might say something she deserved.)

That is the glory of meats in regards to protein and fats.

As far as micronutrients, the meats provide many macronutrients that are not in vegies, and are a reflection of the feed they are given to eat. Had a college friend send me an article about the newspaper material included in the feed for cattle. Really!

Otherwise there is the pleasure of biting into a juicy hamburger and that many of us cannot handle vegetable matter in any appreciable amount due to poor insulin responses.

What we eat matters. How it is fed matters. How it is housed matters.

Hearing about cattle being fed newspapers boggles my mind. I've also heard about them being fed waste from candy factories. It's disgusting to say the least.

There is also not a doubt in my mind that they would find a way to slap the label "Organic" or "Grass-Fed" on such meat.