Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 14:22

Plan: Atkins72, mostly
Stats: 294/178.6/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default 95 lbs down, 2/3 to goal, and under 200!

So this is a multiple milestone post.... as well as a re-cap of how I got here

I re-started this WOE December 24 2014 at 294 pounds, which is the heaviest I have ever weighed. (I may have been heavier by a few pounds but didnt weigh to confirm, so I am going with 294!)

I had successfully lost some weight using both original Atkins and the 1990s version of Atkins, so thats where I went-- I remembered the basics, so I immediately cut out all sugar, bread, starch, etc. Meanwhile, I dug out my old 1990s book and also bought a used copy of the original Atkins at my local Salvation army (25 cents) and I read and re-read. I also searched for and found this forum, and spent time reading new and old threads.

I stayed in pretty strict induction (Atkins '72 style) for several months, with the addition of more cream and more cheese. I use this forum's P.L.A.N. program to track foods, weight, and measurements. I started paying attention to macros, and try to stay around 70 % fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs, based on protein being under around 100 grams a day. (But I am not overly strict with macros day to day). I have recently added some nuts and chia seeds, and I have found that my total carb count and % (I count total and not net) can be a little higher, likely because of the fiber that the chia seeds add to my intake.

I DO drink a boatload of diet soda-- hasnt seemed to be a problem. Its something I will address if it eventually is a problem, but for now, its my one vice I have dabbled with having a few SF candies and bars (Aldi's "endulge" brand because I am cheap and so are they lol) without ill effects, but I keep that to a minimum! Overall I avoid "copycat" recipes (for low carb bread, noodles, etc) or dependence on SF sweets-- instead I have embraced the lack of cravings for carbs and sweets, and my tastes have adjusted accordingly.

My consumption of on-plan foods has varied (both in assortment and quantity), as has carb/protein/fat balance and calories, however I HAVE NOT CHEATED-- as far as, no sugary carby stuff, no bread or pasta or potatoes. Even when I gain or have a pause in the losing action, I stay on plan. (If you look at my P.L.A.N. foods and see that I listed sugar, be aware that its my own personal shorthand for the carbs in artificial sweetener, because I am too lazy to figure out how to add a custom food/recipe for that )

If I am hungry, I eat-- more bacon, more cheese, more pork loin, a whole skillet of ground lamb and some shredded cabbage with curry.... whatever amount it takes to keep me satisfied and on plan. Its not often that I go over 1600 calories but sometimes I do-- 2200 2300 on occasion-- but there are also days I am well under 1000. I do track it, but I dont sweat it.

The results are, so far, I have lost 95 pounds in 9.5 months. I am under 200 pounds for the first time in 12 years. I am now 66% of the way to my tentative goal of 150 pounds. I will be turning 50 in the fall of 2016 and I should be at or beyond that goal for the occasion

I feel better-- we have a small farm and animals to care for, and I can climb hills and fences and carry buckets and stack firewood without feeling like I am going to asphyxiate. I sleep better, my knees and hips feel better. I can (and often do) walk out to the pasture, when I used to hop on my ATV. I have much more energy and most days i feel like my thinking is clearer and my memory is sharper.

I have lost a significant number of inches-- 8 inches off each thigh, 16 inches off my belly, 14 inches off my hips, nearly 5 inches off each arm-- and more. And I didnt measure the first day, it was about 2 1/2 weeks in, so I was likely even bigger.

Weight loss has not been linear-- I am a near-daily weigher, to keep myself aware and honest, and yep my daily weight goes up and down, but as long as the overal trend is downward, again, I dont sweat the little bounces.

Here is a pic yesterday comparing my highest weight to current, wearing the same shirt. I have had to buy some clothes to remain dressed, because the old stuff is either sliding off or like trying to function in a tent-- I still have to make myself look at size large top rather than searching for a 3x or 4x, and size 14 pants rather than size 22 or whatever stretchy ones I could find that fit without being skin tight. I can wear jeans again now too-- all day-- without feeling cut apart.

So thats my multiple milestone report-- Thanks Russ for encouraging me to post here on this thread-- still a ways to go, but I am determined to keep on with it!

Last edited by Himadri : Mon, Oct-12-15 at 14:26. Reason: sausage fingers/spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 15:58

Plan: Atkins 72'
Stats: 329.4/254.0/179.4 Female 5'10"
BF:hmm..too much ;)
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himadri
So this is a multiple milestone post.... as well as a re-cap of how I got here

I re-started this WOE December 24 2014 at 294 pounds, which is the heaviest I have ever weighed. (I may have been heavier by a few pounds but didnt weigh to confirm, so I am going with 294!)

I had successfully lost some weight using both original Atkins and the 1990s version of Atkins, so thats where I went-- I remembered the basics, so I immediately cut out all sugar, bread, starch, etc. Meanwhile, I dug out my old 1990s book and also bought a used copy of the original Atkins at my local Salvation army (25 cents) and I read and re-read. I also searched for and found this forum, and spent time reading new and old threads.

I stayed in pretty strict induction (Atkins '72 style) for several months, with the addition of more cream and more cheese. I use this forum's P.L.A.N. program to track foods, weight, and measurements. I started paying attention to macros, and try to stay around 70 % fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs, based on protein being under around 100 grams a day. (But I am not overly strict with macros day to day). I have recently added some nuts and chia seeds, and I have found that my total carb count and % (I count total and not net) can be a little higher, likely because of the fiber that the chia seeds add to my intake.

I DO drink a boatload of diet soda-- hasnt seemed to be a problem. Its something I will address if it eventually is a problem, but for now, its my one vice I have dabbled with having a few SF candies and bars (Aldi's "endulge" brand because I am cheap and so are they lol) without ill effects, but I keep that to a minimum! Overall I avoid "copycat" recipes (for low carb bread, noodles, etc) or dependence on SF sweets-- instead I have embraced the lack of cravings for carbs and sweets, and my tastes have adjusted accordingly.

My consumption of on-plan foods has varied (both in assortment and quantity), as has carb/protein/fat balance and calories, however I HAVE NOT CHEATED-- as far as, no sugary carby stuff, no bread or pasta or potatoes. Even when I gain or have a pause in the losing action, I stay on plan. (If you look at my P.L.A.N. foods and see that I listed sugar, be aware that its my own personal shorthand for the carbs in artificial sweetener, because I am too lazy to figure out how to add a custom food/recipe for that )

If I am hungry, I eat-- more bacon, more cheese, more pork loin, a whole skillet of ground lamb and some shredded cabbage with curry.... whatever amount it takes to keep me satisfied and on plan. Its not often that I go over 1600 calories but sometimes I do-- 2200 2300 on occasion-- but there are also days I am well under 1000. I do track it, but I dont sweat it.

The results are, so far, I have lost 95 pounds in 9.5 months. I am under 200 pounds for the first time in 12 years. I am now 66% of the way to my tentative goal of 150 pounds. I will be turning 50 in the fall of 2016 and I should be at or beyond that goal for the occasion

I feel better-- we have a small farm and animals to care for, and I can climb hills and fences and carry buckets and stack firewood without feeling like I am going to asphyxiate. I sleep better, my knees and hips feel better. I can (and often do) walk out to the pasture, when I used to hop on my ATV. I have much more energy and most days i feel like my thinking is clearer and my memory is sharper.

I have lost a significant number of inches-- 8 inches off each thigh, 16 inches off my belly, 14 inches off my hips, nearly 5 inches off each arm-- and more. And I didnt measure the first day, it was about 2 1/2 weeks in, so I was likely even bigger.

Weight loss has not been linear-- I am a near-daily weigher, to keep myself aware and honest, and yep my daily weight goes up and down, but as long as the overal trend is downward, again, I dont sweat the little bounces.

Here is a pic yesterday comparing my highest weight to current, wearing the same shirt. I have had to buy some clothes to remain dressed, because the old stuff is either sliding off or like trying to function in a tent-- I still have to make myself look at size large top rather than searching for a 3x or 4x, and size 14 pants rather than size 22 or whatever stretchy ones I could find that fit without being skin tight. I can wear jeans again now too-- all day-- without feeling cut apart.

So thats my multiple milestone report-- Thanks Russ for encouraging me to post here on this thread-- still a ways to go, but I am determined to keep on with it!

Himi: I am so proud of you, and so glad I got to know you! You have done an amazing job and stuck to your plan completely. You look amazing! Congratulations on your huge milestones. I hope a year from now, I will be posting something similar.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-15, 21:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Congratulations on your success!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 07:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Himadri

Thanks for posting your story. What an amazing year it has been for you. You've definitely got this WOE figured out. Isn't it amazing what can happen if you just stick to the program and take cheating off the table? Congratulations on reaching Onederland and I look forward to watching your progress all the way down to goal. You are an inspiration and your story is a roadmap for how to get this done.

BTW: I've saved one outfit from my max weight days, too. I put them on every once it a while to remind myself of what I've accomplished so far. I almost can't believe that I used to wear them. I'm planning on adding a pic with those clothes on in my next milestone.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Oct-13-15 at 07:11.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

WOW. Your story and your success are both wonderful and an inspiration.

I so love seeing people's before and after pictures. Not just the change in size, but the change in posture, in attitude!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 14:53

Plan: Atkins72, mostly
Stats: 294/178.6/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Thanks Guys! Haha Ken, I thanked "Russ" for the encouragement to post a milestone,, but I should have thanked YOU-- KEN.... apparently your username confuzzled me. For some reason I am no longer able to edit my original post, so everyone when you see "Russ".... think khRUSSva
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 18:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himadri
Thanks Guys! Haha Ken, I thanked "Russ" for the encouragement to post a milestone,, but I should have thanked YOU-- KEN.... apparently your username confuzzled me. For some reason I am no longer able to edit my original post, so everyone when you see "Russ".... think khRUSSva

No problem. That wasn't the first time someone has called me Russ. I rather like that name, actually. About being locked out of editing your post... that happened to me, too. I thought we'd have at least a day or two of access to it. I saw a few typos and grammar errors in mine that I'd like a chance to fix.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 21:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

What a brilliant story! So far...