Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 17:00

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default 6 week results - Lifting, karate and TKD

Hi, folks!

I thought I would post some results for you. I'm doing hardcore keto 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein, 5-10% carbs. Cals cycle with carb meals anywhere from 1300 post carb up to 3k on a heavy carb day. I'm carbing up with one meal per week, Heller-style, timed to hit the intense part of my WO week. The meal is often something like steel cut oats with blackstrap molasses, fruit and yogurt and maybe some wheat toast with jam. If I feel really depleted, I'll add some dextrose pre-WO and/or throw in a smaller, 2nd carb meal during the week.

For lifting, I'm working with a trainer twice a week. Other exercise is 2-4 hrs per week of shito-ryu karate. (Aionagi school, a cousin to shoto-kan for you karate buffs)

Time period is 6 weeks: 6 weeks on the eating plan and 5 weeks working out. Stats are done by the trainer with calipers and cross-checked with tape measure.

BF% lost ---- 4.5%
scale loss ---- 2 lbs
fat mass lost ---- 9.5 lbs
LBM gained ---- 7.5 lbs

Inches lost

chest ---- 1.75
waist ---- 2.45
hips ---- 2.75
thigh ---- 1.75

Seems to be working really well. I have been considering doing a third lifting day on my own (can't afford that guy 3x/week). And he wants me to do 2 half hr cardio sessions, but giventhe results I'm getting, maybe I should not fix what ain't broke? I'll be happy to listen to reasons I should add the lifting day, but I think the extra cardio is a lost cause.

Cheers,

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: anpb diet
Stats: 228/221/215 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 54%

So how is your bodyparts split into the two lifting workouts. Personally I would have you lift like this.

Mon-Chest,Delts,Tris,abs

Wed-Legs,calves,lower back

Fri-Back,bis,rear delts,abs

This is what my wife and I are doing it is the best way for maximum recovery time so you can blast your muscle fresh without overtraining. I know it works as my wife got up to 165lbs at 16% bodyfat at a height of 5'2". Of course we also train all out heavy as well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 21:24
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Congrats Friday. These are awseome results in such a short time. WTG!

red
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 21:49
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

congrats on the numbers...my .02 add the xtra lifting day and only add the cardio when you plateau...the more cardio you donow the more you will have to do later when your body adapts....slow and steady wins the race...good job
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 22:34

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

As for the rotation, I do what the trainer tells me. It usually upper body one day, lower the next, with core usually coming in on the upper body day. He seems to be mixing it up pretty well. We do a combo of pyramids and drop sets, super sets here and there. Today was hack squats/lunges, for example.

He doesn't treat me 'like a girl' at all, but he's still learign my abilities. I chuckle at him sometimes. He put me on cable flys at the end of one session and said we were going to do drop sets and burn out my chest and shoulders... Then he watched me pop 20 reps while looking at him funny and asking if this was supposed to be burning any?

"Ok... so we're NOT doing drop sets. I'll UP the weight instead."

Adding the third lifting day - gonna be hard. My schedule is hell, but I'll see what I can do.

M - karate
T - lift
W - karate
sat - lift

I'm also doing heavy classwork for my PhD and single-momming while for another 6 weeks or so til we can join hubby at our new house. Free time I ain't got.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Cheers,

Friday
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Yeah, great job fridayeyes!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 10:35

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Fridayeyes, Looks like your trainer and program are working for you. Congrats on your loss! (that would sound funny anywhere else)

Jag
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 11:59

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Great going, girl! Sounds to me like you've found something that works for you. I wouldn't add extra cardio unless there's something you would enjoy doing. An extra day of weight training (maybe on Thurs?) might be beneficial - just an add'l 30-40min workout would contribute to more strength gains. But if you really don't have time for anything else, why not just stick with what is working?

Jen