Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,Neaderthin, NHE
Stats: 404/330/200 Male 70 inches
BF:48.2/30.1/12
Progress: 36%
Default Rob Faigin's New Exercise Book

I was reading through the forum recently and I noticed some one had posted that they had purchased a new book by Rob Faigin. I cannot find the post again and I am unable to find the book. They said something about it being about his Exercise program. If any one could help with this that would be greatly appreciated. I have already read Natural Hormone Enhancement and would love to see some more specific information on exercise.

Last edited by crateprice : Fri, Sep-03-04 at 10:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 10:22

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Last edited by jagbender : Fri, Sep-03-04 at 10:36.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 19:39

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just got mine from olusa.com (thanks to caverjen for mentioning the new book in another post)

So far it seems to that hormonaly correct exercise yields more functional muscle than just pretty muscle (although I am only halfway through it). Which is cool, my main goals (despite my sig, which are more progress goals than primary goals) are for optimal health and functional strength (with a healthy looking body as an added benefit).

Definately recomended reading.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 17:46

Mine just came in yesterday!
Nose in book again!

jag
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 18:30

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
Mine just came in yesterday!
Nose in book again!

jag

After you've read it... I'd be interested to hear what you think about it and perhaps what the main ideas are. (if you don't mind sharing)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 11:57

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I got the book (Hormonally Intelligent Exercise) a couple weeks ago and plan to implement the program tomorrow. R.F. expands on information he included on exercise in NHE. The main difference in HIE and NHE is that he recommends weight training only 3 days per wk, and never weight training 2 days in a row. In NHE he said you could work out 2 days in a row as long as you were training different body parts and you separate the workouts by at least 20 hrs. That is the only thing I caught that was contradictory. The writing style is abhorrent and somewhat hard to read, but the information is good.

R.F. does outline specific weight training programs for beginner, intermediate and advanced exercisers. It is a split routine - for beginner upper/lower, for intermediate-advanced chest-upper back/legs-lower back/shoulders-arms. Abs are trained 2x/wk on cardio days, although they can be combined with other work outs. Cardio should be on separate days but can follow weight training. Only 2 cardio workouts per wk are required.

The unique part of the inter-adv workouts is the "consolidation" cycle. Every 3rd or 4th wk you do 2 full-body workouts and 2 abs workouts. Cardio is optional and can be done up to twice that week. R.F. states that cycling like this prevents you from having to take time off periodically.

There's a lot more to it than that, but I hope this will give y'all an idea of what the book is like. It does not discuss diet much at all.

Jen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 15:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the review Jen!

Quote:
The writing style is abhorrent and somewhat hard to read, but the information is good.
This is very strange. Did he actually write the book? I found his writing to be so eloquent and intelligent in NHE.

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 10:25

I would add a couple of things.
Being new to weightlifting I learned a bit by reading the book.
I also started "accentuating the negative" In other words resisting the downward movement of the weight on a rep for three seconds instead of letting the weight come down "fast".
I can really get a major burn and it really cuts your reps down.
I have followed the "consolidation" (full body workout) schedule and am using RF's weight routine as much as my equipment will allow. I have been sore for the last two weeks in different areas. That is good because I was more acclamated to my current routine and needed a few new twists. HIE also got me to try heavy chins and I was able to get 2 sets of 4. So that is a good start. I enjoy the fresh routine. Most sets are 6-9 rep range and two sets per exercise. The pace is fast and that keeps intensity up. There are a lot of different exercises per session. So far I like it, I am re reading NHE and back on the NHE eating program. I am up a couple of pounds from the 2 carb meals but I am confident I will be changing composition.
More to follow!

Jag