Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 06:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/275/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Food, Women, and God

Has anyone read this? I started it at the beginning of the year and I found some profound help. She recommends not dieting, and I am not on a diet, I eat low carb because that is my lifestyle so it fits in.

I have had problems with emotional eating but I have worked through a lot since reading this. I am amazed at how I feel about my eating. I don't want to gorge myself anymore. I've lost 42 lbs and gone from a 28 to a 22 since Jan. I feel great and a month and a half ago I added exercising.

The true test for me was when I had a horrific MD visit last month. Not my usual doc. I am a failed lap-band pt. and had to have it out since it was causing problems and I never lost more than 20 lbs with it anyway. She focused on my failure at lap-band and just ripped into me about how I was an emotional mess and I would never keep the weight off or keep exercising. It didn't matter what I said, she kept at me, insisting that I see this therapist she recommends for emotional eating. Talk about abusive! I was completly freaked out! I went home and meditated, took a long bath and journeled. I didn't eat anything more than my usual dinner. I didn't even think about eating to soothe myself.

Anyway, I got a lot from this book and just wanted to pass on that it could be helpful for other emotional eaters. I don't know if it was just the book, or the time was right but I am successfully exercising and eating right now.

I forgot to add that I found out she was a failed lap-band pt. herself so that's probably what caused her malice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 07:47

Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have not read the book, but wanted to comment on that abusive Dr. I think she should be reported--there is no excuse for treating another human being the way she did. Maybe she is trying to drum up business for her therapist friend--maybe SHE needs a therapist!

What is the exact name and author of the book? Sounds interesting--maybe I'll have time to read since I lost my job

Best of luck to you and congrats for not eating your frustrations away!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 07:56

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:

thanks for the book recommendation. I need alot of help
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 10:06

BF:

The book is: Food, Women, and God by Geneen Roth. It isn't about a particular God, I'm Buddhist and still got a lot out of the book.

I am reporting the Dr.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 18:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Good for you about reporting the Dr.

You were able to handle it... the next person could be wrecked!

I will be looking for that book; thanks.

For me, the path to conquering my emotional eating was coming up with many new ways to feel soothed, feel happy, and feel content. It wasn't that those were my only ways; I had to remember things had changed and I had much more control over my life than I used to.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 19:00

BF:

I totally agree with the control. We give our power away as children, as many of us needed to, and forget to regain it. I refuse to give my power away, I refuse to accept others' abuse. I take care of myself as an independent adult without the need to comfort myself with food. My body is adjusting to the new way of living life very well. I'm looking forword to continuing weight loss as I continue to exercise and eat well.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-11, 12:28

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiddash
I totally agree with the control. We give our power away as children, as many of us needed to, and forget to regain it. I refuse to give my power away, I refuse to accept others' abuse. I take care of myself as an independent adult without the need to comfort myself with food. My body is adjusting to the new way of living life very well. I'm looking forword to continuing weight loss as I continue to exercise and eat well.

WOW. I found this at the right time. Odd that I would even open this thread. I am really struggling with my mother right now. She is angry at me for some reason, no idea what and has been cold to me this whole holiday season. It came to a head for me last night when she didn't call me at midnite like she has always done. Ruined my NYE with hubby and then I have been a mess all morning. The history is far too long to go into but she is passive aggressive and miserable so everyone (especially me) pays.
Then I read what you wrote Rapiddash and I agree. I have to stop giving my power away to my mother and her whims. It is all about her expectations that I continue to fail to reach because i don't know what they are. I cannot change her but I can change how I react to her. Not reacting at all is likely the best bet. I hate feeling like I am always on the verge of f~#king up in some shape or form when I know in my heart that I am a very good daughter. Nothing I ever do is good enough for her so I have to just live a life that is good enough for me.
Thanks Rapid, you have helped pull me from a place of sadness today.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-11, 08:46

BF:

I'm so glad it worked for you. The book has so much good info that I have to read and then think for awhile. I am still going through things. I will post more later but I can't believe I put up with so much abuse for so long, and that I take on more. Happy New Year anyway, and I hope we can all let go of our abusive connections with our parents and forge new, healthy ones, or allow the old ones to just go away.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 13:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
The book has so much good info that I have to read and then think for awhile.

I agree, it's an absolutely wonderful book.

For her, solving her emotional issues solved her weight problem (I gather?)

While solving my emotional issues with food kept me from doing serious damage to my body, I still did not have a handle on keeping myself healthy until I tried Atkins.

I wonder now if it wasn't a chicken/egg thing, at least for my metabolism.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-11, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: experimenting
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 171cm / 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow, I just recently finished reading this book actually!

I recovered from severe depression last year, and lately it's been creeping up on me again sort of. This book enabled me to get in touch with myself once again, and really remember to love and care for the person that is really me. I also suffered from an eating disorder as a result of the depression, and reading this helped me to realize I need to stop seeing my life in terms of a diet, and living for the future when I should be living in the now.

Unrelated- we have the same avatar! LOL! Are you a FF8 fan too? It's my favourite game ever.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 08:56

BF:

Yep, love FF8, it is my favorite! None of the others come close! I'm glad you wrote, I'm recovering from extensive back surgery, I'm 2 weeks out, and getting kind of depressed. I used to exercise at least 1 1/2 hours a day - swimming, walking my dogs, etc and a month before surgery I started falling down 3 to 4 times a day, I was numb from my knees down since Oct. In Dec I became numb from my hips down. I finally had surgery and I haven't fallen, and I'm on and off numb so I'm better. I have only been able to walk 1/2 an hour a day because of the pain and weakness but your post really picked me up! I checked another of her books out of the library, will pick it up today and start feeling better. I'm so glad you posted!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-11, 08:57

BF:

Are you in Vancouver, BC or US?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-11, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: experimenting
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 171cm / 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm in Vancouver BC! No, not in Washington too lol, a little higher up there.

Sorry about your pain.. that must be tough going through a physical change like that. Be sure to eat well and stretch it out a lot and hopefully you'll be up to speed again soon. :O I'm glad my post made you feel better ^^

Which book of hers are you reading now and how is it so far?

edit:

Btw I do hot yoga. It's really helpful for people with injuries (ie muscle/joint problems like sports injuries, arthritis etc) because the heat allows your joints and muscles to stretch out more and heal. I dont know if you'd be up for it but it might be something you want to look into.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 00:00

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
The true test for me was when I had a horrific MD visit last month.

Here are some Washington state medical complaint forms, don't know if any are appropriate for the situation, but if you want to consider:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/Complaint.htm
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 09:15

BF:

I work with some of the surgeons who work with this doc. I did talk to one of them about it.