Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/219/175
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default diabetes

... wonder if anyone else on here is a diabetic and if so how are they finding this diet in maintaining low sugar counts ...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 21:16

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Hi

I am a type ii myself. I have found that the Atkins diet allowed me to completely quit all medication. My last HbA1c was 5.8 or about 114 average.

To me, it has been a cure.

good luck,
wsgts
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 23:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Deborah

Why not check out our Diabetes forum? On the main Active Lowcarber forums page, scroll down a bit to Low Carb and Your Health. Diabetes / Insulin issues are discussed in their own forum. A number of members have posted their success at bringing blood sugar down, getting diabetes under control, and getting off medication!

Are you taking any meds for your diabetes, or just diet-control only?? You might want to have a look at Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Your library might have a copy you could borrow. He recommends low-carb diet for both Type 1 and Type 2's. In fact, he states that low-carbing will bring your bloodsugars down and keep them down, with the potential to reverse the terrible side effects of diabetes, such as cholesterol and heart disease, poor circulation, kidney disease and eye problems. And no miracle hooey or anything special to buy. Just stick to low-carb RELIGIOUSLY, and monitor blood sugars frequently, so that you KNOW how and when food affects you. I'm not diabetic, but I went out and bought the book, after borrowing from the library. It's an excellent book.

He has a website, and a few chapters of the book are posted online. Check it out here.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 06:57

Stats: 219/219/175
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks doreen ... I will look at that diabetes site when I get a chance tonight ... I should be on meds but I have a stubborn or stupid streak in me so I want to try and control it through diet and exercise first as I am beginning to see problems arise from a health perspective .. thank you for the effort to round that up for me

Deborah/CWB
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 08:45

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Don't avoid the meds

Deb,

Don't avoid the meds. It only takes a little while to mess you up bad. If you stay with the diet, it will help. But a secret of the meds, they help with weight lose too.

The type I am talking about is Glucaphage. It helps the body absorb the insulin you make. It will also help you lose weight (or did for me). I only had to take Glucaphage for about 2 months, but I wouldn't avoid them.

Good luck,
wsgts