Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:02

Plan: dont know
Stats: 296/296/225
BF:
Progress:
Question ANOTHER NEW MEMBER WITH A DUMB QUESTIONS

HELLO FORUM MY NAME IS TERRY FROM MISSOURI, I JUST ORDERED THE DIET OFF THE TV BUT IT WILL BE TWO TO THREE WEEKS BEFORE IT ARRIVES HERE. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH OUT THE FORUM AND SEE SOME OF YOU EXERCISE AND I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU KEEP THE ENERGY LEVEL UP WHEN YOU BURN CAROBS FIRST WHEN EXERCISING AND DEPLETE YOUR BODY OF CAROBS AND THEN DONT REPLINISH THE BODY WITH SUGAR TO GIVE YOURSELF ENERGY. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO BEFORE I RECEIVE MY ATKINS PLAN IN THE MAIL. : : ROARING TO GO THANK YOU MUCH TERRY
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile There are no dumb questions

Welcome to the forum, Terry. Like the subject line up there says, there are no dumb questions

You've certainly got the right attitude. I would suggest that while waiting to read the book and starting the plan you cut back on things like refined sugar and white flour.

As for energy, your body adapts to burning ketones for fuel; some organs actually perfer this to glucose. There is a period of a few days wherein you feel fatigued and *strange*, but it is soon replaced with renewed energy; more than you had prior to LC.

I'd also suggest that while waiting for your book to arrive you read as much as possible on the site. Low Carb Tips (up above in orange) will give you some ideas and answer many questions.

Best of luck to you,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Hi

Hi Terry,

I am new here as well, and just about the same weight when I started as you are now. I can tell you from experience that is can be done, although being a 255 still got a ways to go.

Sugar is just one source of energy, is the way I look at it. When starting Atkins, you will be tired, cranky, headachy for about 3-4 days, but you will get used to it and will not have symptoms anymore, nor will you be tired anymore. Once you get into ketosis (using fat for energy) well, you will feel much better.

By the way, most folks that see good weight lose success via any method will exercise, it's just plain good for you. Have you though about which exercise is for you?

Write back,
wsgts
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:41

BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by wsgts
Hi Terry,

I am new here as well, and just about the same weight when I started as you are now. I can tell you from experience that is can be done, although being a 255 still got a ways to go.

Sugar is just one source of energy, is the way I look at it. When starting Atkins, you will be tired, cranky, headachy for about 3-4 days, but you will get used to it and will not have symptoms anymore, nor will you be tired anymore. Once you get into ketosis (using fat for energy) well, you will feel much better.

By the way, most folks that see good weight lose success via any method will exercise, it's just plain good for you. Have you though about which exercise is for you?

Write back,
wsgts
GREAT, I GUESS YOU ARE OVER THE HARD PART OF THIS DIET THE FIRST FIVE DAYS OR SO KEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS SO I CAN FEED OFF IT. AS FAR AS EXERCISING I WILL TRY THE TREADMILL AND WALKING/RUNNING BUT DUCK SEASON IS IN NOVEMBER AND I WONT MISS THAT ALONG WITH DEER HUNTING. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT KIND OF SNACKS I COULD TRY WHILE HUNTING OR SITTING ON THE TRAIN WAITING. THANKS FOR REPLYING TERRY KEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS AS IWILL YOU IF CAN FIND ANYTHING THAT HELPS.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 13:59

BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Re: Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by sdmac70
GREAT, I GUESS YOU ARE OVER THE HARD PART OF THIS DIET THE FIRST FIVE DAYS OR SO KEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS SO I CAN FEED OFF IT. AS FAR AS EXERCISING I WILL TRY THE TREADMILL AND WALKING/RUNNING BUT DUCK SEASON IS IN NOVEMBER AND I WONT MISS THAT ALONG WITH DEER HUNTING. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT KIND OF SNACKS I COULD TRY WHILE HUNTING OR SITTING ON THE TRAIN WAITING. THANKS FOR REPLYING TERRY KEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS AS IWILL YOU IF CAN FIND ANYTHING THAT HELPS.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 10:56

Default Hehe

That's funny you should say hunting, cause I am a big hunter myself. Not duck too much, but deer, and wild hogs down here in Alabama.

Yeah, I am through the hard part. How are you doing? My exercise is mountain biking, but it's about to start getting cold around here. I try to go four days a week, but sometimes it's five, sometimes it's two. Can you think of any other exercise you might like other than the gym? I hate the gym myself, and can never stick with it.

My 64 year old mother just started yesterday. She can't believe how much I have lost and how good my diabetic blood work is (better than perfect). It will be a year for me in I believe February 2002, but hell, I get to eat all the meat I kill that I want, so I really don't think of it as a diet.

Good luck,
let me know how you are doing.

wsgts
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 14:23

BF:
Progress:
Default WSGTS

HI JUST RECEIVED MY ATKINS VIDEO IN MAIL AND URINE STRIPS I
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 14:36

BF:
Progress:
Default WSGTS

I DONT WHAT HAPPEN UP THERE I HAVE JUST RECEIVED MY ATKINS DIET VIDEO AND URINE STRIPS WILL BE STARTING WEDNESDAY . I HAVE BEGAN WALK\ RUN EVERY OTHER DAY WITH A FEW SITUPS. MY BUDDIES DO HAVE WILD HOG MOUNTS AT THEIR HOME I THINK THEY GO DOWN FURTHER SOUTH TEXAS OR SOMEWHERE DOWN TO HUNT WILD BOARS. I GUESS THEY GET PRETTY MEAN THEY USE BOWS. I WOULD RATHER USE A RIFLE OR HAND GRENADE I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE DIET IS GOING IN FEW LATER TERRY
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 17:29

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default caps

love that you are here!!! Hunting is not a big sport here in Alameda, California but it sounds interesting.

Reason for my post... could you please turn the cap lock off? It appears as though your YELLING at us.

Thanks, I promise I'm not being a nag.....
Brenda
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 21:24

Default Hunting, ahh

I have been hunting for 24 years now, I am alone 28 so that is most of my life. There is something neat about eating the food you harvested, but when you get breakfast food out of it, it's really good.

itsjoyful, it's was strange when I went to college I found out there were people who actually didn't hunt. Now I have found that most people don't. Weird huh?

good luck on ya'lls new way of life,
wsgts
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 23:46

Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi there, it is funny what you learn in college eh? I know that what I am learning isnt what the dean had in mind (I dont think) I lived in Yukon for 8 years and I didnt go hunting but I did butcher the meat when it got back home. Moose and caribou mostly, I have even skinned the hide and made drums and masks and slippers out of them.

I figure that somewhere down the road , that if I am willing to eat meat, I should be willing to kill what I eat too. It seems a bit hypocritical to say that I couldnt kill something but be willing to eat it... I never felt that way before I moved to Yukon and lived much closer to the land than I had when I lived in Vancouver.

Holly
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:17

BF:
Progress:
Default wsgts,brenda,holly

did mean to yell brenda never knew writing in caps meant yelling i though it meant you could not read fine print so i made it bigger to read no big deal this is cool in lower case. WSGTS I JUST CAME FROM A FRIENDS HOUSE WHO SHOT A WILD BOAR IN ARKANSAS THE SKIN IS SO THICK BEHIND NECK IS UNREAL. WHOOPS SORRY BRENDA, i just got through building my deer stand and putting out deer cocaine and corn and salt licks. boy i am hungry but it is for sweets. IS ketchup a no no also because of the carobs i have did good so far on my first day just eggs and more eggs a brick of cheese and a half pound of turkey two diet pepsi and i haven't ate diiner yet Sure hope this diet works. you was talking about college wish i would have gone instead of going to work on the railroad but 25 years on this engine its to late to change boats now. I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN TYPING INSTEAD OF HOME EC. SO IDON'T HAVE TO CHICKEN ON THIS KEY BOARD. OH THERE GOES THE CAPS AGAIN sorry not yelling my fingers are to fat and two or more keys when pecking this out. The book that came with my videos does not have all the food listed as far as carob gram where can get I one at ilooked at wally world {walmarts} but they did not have one. later terry holt
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 16:39

Default Ketchup a nono

Yeap, ketchup is a no-no, at least for induction. I wouldn't do ketchup or tomatoes for a while. When you get into the latter phases, then you can start doing small amounts of that kinda stuff. I ain't really something you are going to miss very much in a while.

Make sure to mix it up some with some grills steaks, pork, fish, tuna, that kinda thing. Gotta run, taking the kid to the fair.

Later,
wsgts
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 18:05

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default Deer cocaine???

You are sooo funny. The deer thing got to me, but good thing I don't eat deer or we'd really be in trouble. What's deer cocaine, and is it fair to drug them before killin' em'?

Great joy on day one. By day 14 you'll be writing the book on the huntin' mans way to acheive your goals.

you was talking about college wish i would have gone instead of going to work on the railroad but 25 years on this engine its to late to change boats now.

IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO CHANGE. YOU CONTRIDICT YOUSELF HERE, BECAUSE YOU ARE CHANGING YOUR WAY OF EATING!!!!!

be happy and joyful
Brenda