Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 20:08

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%
Default LC-ing while visiting India.

When I visited India in yr 2000 I weighed about 164lb. This December 2002
I visited my family in India and I weighed 136lb. 28lb lighter.
Currently doing 134lb.

In the plane:
=============
While the couple sitting next to me ordered orange juice, I opted for water
and one time for diet coke. Airhostess used to smile and say, "For you water sir". I used to say, "Yes please". You need very little calorie while in the plane.

For breakfast, lunch and dinner I used to order from menu and choose the one with less carb portion and never ate the carb part. I did eat fruits though.

That helped and I felt less crappy in air and on grounds.

But on way back I fell sick after eating last lunch before landing on SFO. I had
Chicken and sausage. I vomited and let it all out. God I felt better.
Best thing while traveling is to avoid meat stuff. That would leave us with fewer choices though.

With family:
============
My mother, in-laws knew I lost weight. But they were very surprised when they actually saw me. My mother hugged me and said I have become so thin and asked if I feel weak. I said no and I feel very energetic.

Saddest part is I will not see my father anymore who expired in 2000.
I know how positively my father would have reacted. I'm sure he is saying good job boy. We father and son used to sit out in the sun, drink tea, chat and laugh about things. I missed that part badly.

Lowcarbing in India:
=================
I wrote to mother and in-laws that I take very little rice and sweets. In our culture one cannot imagine food without rice and sweets. That was the hardest part initially. In the dinner table, everybody would eat rice, fish, meat and vegetables. I would take a little of rice, salads, and veggies and have of course fish/meats. I noticed few people look at your plate when all start eating and talking. You can easily push carb stuff on the side and not eat it. Well it is hard though.

So I used to eat salad, green veggies, river water fish and meat (goat, chicken) and kept my low-carb way of life on. I did eat sweets and little more rice on
one or two occasions. But I was not badly derailed. Now I know which gear to push. In fact falling off, dusting off back up and running again is pure FUN.

There is an abundance of locally grown near organic, fresh vegetables. So if one wants to do low carb in India it is possible. GMO and processed food industry is yet to show up there. But people consume awful lot of rice and sweet. Way above the faulty USDA limit of 300/400gram.

Result is there are a lot of overweight people, people with diabetic condition, high blood pressure, cardiac issues that to great extent could be attributed to high carb life style. People in general know that sugar is bad for diabetic people, but they including many doctors don't know that excess carbo can lead to high blood pressure, excess weight, cardiac issues and disturb general well being.

On a party I overheard someone say, "He is on high protein diet”. No it was not me. Also I saw banner ads Like "lose weight now, ask me how” followed by tel#. That seems to be borrowed from the west and was mildly amusing. May be some day…

On the positive note, people are forced upon an active life style. They cannot afford car. Riding in over crowded buses and trains is a good physical activity in itself. They walk to near by shop/market to buy stuff.

Best parts of India are villages where Life is so simple, where ills of modernizations are yet to creep in. But they are not hunter-gatherers either.
Sponsored Links