Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#721   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 08:36

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Ok -

how to wean myself off salt? And what about cooking meat in a slow-cooker - is that too much? I cooked up a bunch of meat, organs (chicken liver/kidneys) and bacon in my slow-cooker yesterday on a VERY low heat and although it was ok, even with some herbs/spices/garlic it tasted bland to me without a little sea salt. So I ended up adding a little and it was suddenly very tasty.

Is this just me - does no-one else have this problem?

It was nice and fatty though.

I'm still scared of giving up veggies though, especially as I've been ill 4 times in the past 4 months with colds/throat viruses, which is unusual for me. I keep wondering maybe my demands for vitamin C etc are higher than everyone elses.
Sponsored Links
  #722   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Loops, I'd say that you shouldn't do too much too soon or you may burn out and give in all together. Get yourself in the habit and prefernce of all protein and fat, then start to ween yourself of the salt and additions you are accustomed to now. You are doing so great switching to protein/fat and you need to give yourself time. It will be a much more maintainable change if you don't shock your system too soon and throw in the towel. Jusy my opinion.
  #723   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you sure you want to give up salt? Sounds like it is good for you.
  #724   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: -/-/- Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

theBear, what is normal for BM's with this way of eating? how often? thanks.
  #725   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 10:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

#726   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 11:30

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Weaning yourself off salt slowly is a good strategy. I'm having the same issues with salt, Loops. Salt added in meats makes everything tastier. But can't ask myself to be perfect at this point. I know I'm heading toward the right direction by eating mostly meat though My vices right now are: eating non-organic meat, salt, and drinking too much coffee! LOL.
  #727   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Thanks Demi for the link.
  #728   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 13:15

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Some things taste fine without salt - I think it's what you're used to. I can't stand the sausages here though (chorizos) - they have WAY too much salt - makes me feel ill eating them. However a pork chop in my opinion tastes way better with a little salt added.

Might be why I love butter as well.
  #729   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 13:54

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

Demi,
That is an interesting article. Especially for those here who are working out, it sure says alot and confirms what Bear has told them..they don't NEED carbs before a workout!! Weird what an upside down world we live in huh?
  #730   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 19:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

hi CGraff! I've found when switching entirely to meat and egg-type diet, that I'm a little extra 'bound' for maybe a week. Then I get back to normal; once a day, first thing, no difficulty. I think anytime you alter your diet, you will experience some form of "irregularity", but it will resolve itself in time. I wouldn't resort to adding fiber unless absolutely necessary.
  #731   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 19:31

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

posted twice.

Last edited by theBear : Fri, Mar-17-06 at 19:35. Reason: extra
  #732   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 19:31

BF:
Progress:

Salt is an addiction. It is culturally induced induced by the need to add some salt for flavour in vegetables. When I gave up salt, the only food that I ate which seemed to need salt was eggs, but after a few years this passed- unsalted butter made the difference- without that added fat eggs are definitely very bland. Take care to only buy and use unsalted butter. Salt in butter is there as a preservative, thus the level is very high. Unsalted butter is a bit more expensive because only very fresh cream can be used to make it, whereas soured cream, neutralised with soda is used to make 'regular' butter that is then preserved with salt. The very best and tastiest butter possible is made at home by shaking pure cream, and separating the resulting delicious near-white butter from the whey.

Taking in more salt than you body needs is very, very bad for you. If your sweat tastes salty, you have too much intake. Both the skin and the kidneys dump salt, but cannot 'change gears' quickly. Both organs are affected by passing salt. The salt content of sweat and urine can go down to a few parts per million, to conserve the saline balance of the bodies tissues. It only takes about one ounce of any meat/day to supply all the sodium your body requires. for normal saline balance. I sometimes sweat so proficiently that I need to drink 3 or four litres of water in less than an hour. I have no effects of low salt, and my sweat is never salty. I used to watch the other kids in ballet class scarfing slat tabs, while I just drank water, my shirt was very wet, but dried out normal but theirs were rimed with a heavy white salt crust,indicating that the massive excess of alt was simply being dumped. If they did not eat the salt tabs when drinking water, they fainted.

If addicted to salt, just like with any other addiction, when you stop using, you will experience 'side effects', such as everything suddenly seeming tasteless and bland. If you persist, salt becomes vile-tasting, and food without salt very tasty (but not (sodium-deficient) veggies-tasteless by nature, but which we are not talking about here).

It takes several days for your body to stop dumping salt through the skin and kidneys and begin conserving it, so when quitting, be aware of your salt balance- you may experience light headed-ness and the other classic signs of low sodium, if necessary take a tiny pinch- but try to stop all salt as quickly as you can tolerate it. Salt was a significant cause of my grandfather's demise at 91 from kidney failure. I consider it a chemical poison. Only vegetarians have a salt-deficiency in their diet.

I am unsure what a 'slow cooker' is. The healthiest meat is raw, next the quicker minimal cooking is accomplished and the least the mass of the meat is exposed to heat, the better. This criterion points to a quick fry in melted fat at high enough heat to brown the outer layer of the meat and only warm the interior is preferred. The term 'slow cooker' sounds like something designed to process basically indigestible vegetables.

I have not had a cold or flu in about 6 or 7 years, and I never eat veggies- in fact I would suspect the load placed on your system trying to deal with them might actually work to weaken your immune system. If you are feeling a bit down, 5 gm of mineral ascorbates and a bit of echinacea each day should help boost things. Get a flu shot every year- it stimulates your viral-resistance against more than just influenza.

On a meat diet, generally you will poo once a day or less. There simply are no great masses of dead bacteria to void. The mass of waste the body produces is small and generally soft. Cheese is binding, coffee the opposite.

What is 'non-organic' meat? Last time I checked all animals were organic creatures. Once the food is taken in, the animal is the same no matter what type of feed it gets. The meat animal is a fantastic filter. The only thing that is better is grass rather than grain and feed without pesticide residues, which can concentrate in the tissues. People who eat vegetation are at more risk with non-organic VEGGIES, since all edible veggies require being treated with various pesticides to reach a mature state for harvest- the organic ones are usually grown under protective cover to reduce this need.

Animal feed-plants are much less subject to pest predation than the specially bred human-edibles which have the natural protective toxins removed through selective breeding over hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of years.

I could only find a recipe for preparing turtle in Joy of Cooking, I guess between 1931 when the book was written, and today, turtles have become a non-PC food item. I am not referring to sea turtle, only the fresh water kinds.
  #733   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 19:47

BF:
Progress:

'To lose body fat, eat more steak and eggs':

This linked story, while stating some truth, also contains flawed information: It suggests the wrong mechanism for efficacy, i.e., 'spares carbohydrates to later...' which is simply nonsense- carbs are only converted into fat, and cannot provide energy for doing any work with the muscles.
  #734   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 20:45

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Bear,

Don't our tongues have taste buds for salt and sweet? Why then wouldn't it be natural to desire those?

You're not specific about the kind of salt. Regular table salt is heavily processed, but supposedly sea salt has trace minerals and is promoted as healthful. Just want your opinion. Salt is salt?

Many health gurus suggest eating fermented foods with active bacterial cultures and lactic acid, like sauerkraut, and claim it's good for digestion. Your opinion? A carb is a carb is a carb?
  #735   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 21:38

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

"I have not had a cold or flu in about 6 or 7 years, and I never eat veggies- in fact I would suspect the load placed on your system trying to deal with them might actually work to weaken your immune system"

I have been eating very low carb for a little over 3 years now. In that time I have had nothing more than a very minor case of the sniffles. Admittedly, I have always been a very healthy person, but previous to low-carbing, I would usually get one or two bad colds every winter. Not any more.
Closed Thread