Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 11:12
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Work in Progress

First entry...

Yesterday I ran for an hour, then I mostly did lower body. I'm not good at describing muscles or muscle groups. I did 4 sets of lunges back and forth across the room. I worked out my hamstrings on the machine, I do that pyramid deal where I go high rep (25) then add weight and do 15 reps then add the most I can do and do about 10 reps. Then I did kick backs on the machine (trying to get my butt in shape). I then did back exercises (rows and the incline bench) and finally I did crunches (3 sets of 25) and whatever it's called when you hang on the bars and raise your legs up to work your abs. I did 3 sets of 15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 22:58
WONJ#3

BF:

Ok...went on Vacation and today was the first day back at the gym.

Here's basically how it went. I REALLY need to lear the muscles or exercises I am doing when I work out with the weights because it's really hard for me to accuratly log them here.

Warmed up for 3 minutes walking
Ran for 30 minutes.
7 minutes ~ 5.0 mph
22 minutes ~ 5.5 mph
1 minute Sprinted ~ 7.0 mph
walked for 5 minutes ~ 3.7 mph
Sprinted for 2 minutes ~ 6.0 mph
Ran for 3 minutes ~ 5.0
Walked for 3 minutes ~3.5 mph
Total time 45 minutes
Whew....the reason I am logging it in such detail is that I am trying to improve endurance and speed and would like to keep track of my progress.

Next...
Elliptical machine for 30 minutes

Next...
Upper body and back
Bicep Curls - 30 lbs
3 sets of 15
Triceps (?) - 40 lbs
1 set of 20
50 lbs
1 set of 15
60 lbs
1 set of 10
70 lbs
1 set of 3
Rows - 30lbs
3 sets of 15
Tricep bar push downs - 20 lbs
3 sets of 15
(Free weights)
Not sure what this one was called but I held the dumbell over my head, behind my back and lifted it to work out the inside of my arms.
3 sets of 15
10 lb dumbell

Last but not least 3 sets of 15 on the incline that works out my back.

Whew!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 08:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I hope you hear from Dane soon, I've let her know you're interested in her suggestions.

I'm sure she'll have some great advice on how to improve on your work-outs as well as your diet.

I will say, that's a lotta cardio, and work your arms LAST. You train biggest to smallest muscles. Arms are secondaries to almost every exercise, if you work them first and tire them out, you won't be able to work the big muscles well at all.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 15:36

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

The Exercise Prescription site (aka ExRx.net) is great for learning about muscle groups and exercises.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 15:51
WONJ#3

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
I hope you hear from Dane soon, I've let her know you're interested in her suggestions.

I'm sure she'll have some great advice on how to improve on your work-outs as well as your diet.

I will say, that's a lotta cardio, and work your arms LAST. You train biggest to smallest muscles. Arms are secondaries to almost every exercise, if you work them first and tire them out, you won't be able to work the big muscles well at all.

Wow!! Now there is something I didn't know!! Yikes!

Also I will check out that site!! Thank you!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 07:58
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hi! The site Terry posted is awesome--I use it alot to look for alternate exercises. A good way to learn your muscles, too, and how they are in relation to each other.

Deb is too kind, or else she's lazy, lol. She knows as much as I do--I think she's just too lazy to type! (just kidding Deb!)

Another good site for you to check out is www.beyondlowcarb.net A bunch of weightlifting women, of all ages and experience levels. Deb's there, too.

Anyway, for starters, what are your goals? I assume fat loss, muscle definition? How new are you? Do you have access to free weights like barbells, and a squat rack at your gym, or just dumbbells and machines?

For people just starting out, it's best, IMO, to do a full body routine 3 times a week, and cardio only 3 times a week, max. You can always do more cardio as time goes on--better not to shoot off all your guns at once,

A full body routine will help you build basic strength and balance, and allow you to hit all the major muscle groups in an efficient way. After about 8 weeks of this, you might then want to switch to an upper/lower split, either 3 or 4 times a week, depending on preference.

Free weights are best, some machines are good. Depends on what you have access to...I started my weight lifting journey at an all-machine gym, and it was fine. I would have gotten better results faster though, had I known then what I know now.

Anyway, as Deb said, don't do cardio first. You want to use your energy for your lifting. Cardio AFTER weights is great, just about 15 minutes worth to start, because lifting mobilizes fatty acids, and the cardio can then burn them off.

About your cardio---are you training for something, or just doing it for fat loss/general health?

So, your routine. You're best advised to stick to compound exercises right now, rather than isolation. Stuff like squats, romanian deadlifts, bench presses, rows, chin-ups (assisted are fine), overhead presses, etc. Things like those kickbacks really won't do much for you, and neither will high repetitions, like the pyramiding you described.

When you are trying to lose fat, and are dieting, the last thing you want to do is too much. Too many exercises, too much cardio, too many reps, too many days. Too much. It will wear you down, "slow down" your metabolism faster, just make you feel like crap. Plus your muscles won't have optimum recovery.

Here's the program I put my DH on--he is also a newbie. We started him on just 2 days a week. Maybe you might like to try it? After 2 weeks it could be modified to 3 times a week.

5' warmup on the stationary bike, just enough to get the blood flowing.

5' dynamic stretching warmup...I'll get you some links for that.

Then
Squats, 3 sets of 5-8 reps, using just enough weight that you could ave done another, but not.
Rest 1 minute between sets.
Romanian Deadlifts, 3 sets of 5-8 reps, 1 minute rest
Bench Press, 3 sets of 5-8, 1 minute rest
Bent Over (Barbell) Row, 3 sets of 5-8, 1 minute rest

These exercises can be done with the barbell or dumbbells.
That's it!

Then a few days later, Workout #2:
5' on the bike, 5' dynamic stretching
Front Squats, 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
Deadlift, 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
Overhead Press, 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
Chinups (assisted if needed), 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
(Again, you can use dumbbells for these if you want)
Can follow the workout with 15 minutes of cardio if desired.

Don't be intimidated by the exercises---look them up on exrx.net, and try to focus on form, rather than on the amount of weight you use. Expect to use light weights with these, but try to challenge yourself. After you get comfortable with the exercises, and can complete 8 reps with ease, it's time to move up the weight.

I should add that your diet is 80% key for success, so be sure you got that straight,

Ask if you need help, or whatever;I check in here just about every day because I use the MyPLAN feature, and maybe you might consider visiting us at the www.beyondlowcarb.net board, where I moderate. You can get LOADS of friendly help there.

G'luck!
~Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 08:02
muscle bound

#8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 10:22
WONJ#3

BF:

Yay!! Thank you Dane!!

I will start doing those exrecises.

The cardio is for fat loss as well as I am trying to improve my cardiovascular system because I just recently quit smoking.

Last night I ran 30 minutes and walked 6 for a total of 3 miles and 400 calories.

I'm utterly baffled and depressed with my newest number on the scale. 171.

No cheats for me. This is too scary.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 11:53
muscle bound

You do need to get your diet set. BUT....keep in mind that when you start exercising again, your muscles are going to respond to the treatment by getting inflamed and holding water. You will probably not be happy with the scale for a week or two at first, but then it will even out.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 09:33
WONJ#3

BF:

Oops I almost forgot to log Thursday. I was actually tired.

I ran and walked for 30 minutes. Not continous but every few minutes. I was tired for some reason and then I did the Elliptical for an 30 minutes.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-07, 16:20
WONJ#3

BF:

Oh gosh...I have not been keeping a very good gym log. Perhpas because all I have been doing is trying to run to get my weight down. I have improved on my running greatly in terms of speed and endurance time.

I have NOT done any weights. I was scared of bulking up but guess what??? I am the same weight and nothing has changed.

I will do strict low carb this week and run my 4-5 miles 3 o 4 times this week and see if I am the same weight afterwards.

Then I will start back to the weights again.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 08:24
WONJ#3

BF:

Ran 5 miles last night.

I also worked out my arms and my back hamstrings.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 00:43
WONJ#3

BF:

Gosh I'm not good at keeping track.

I ran 5 miles on Thursday morning.

Ran 4.25 miles today (Saturday) Also to be noted, I ran for 45 minutes non stop.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-13, 12:10
WONJ#3

BF:

OMG!!! My last entry was in 2007!!!!! At that time I was running non stop for 45 minutes and running 5 miles was a normal thing for me. Ugh.... I was also probably about 160 lbs then.

Not now!!!!! Fast forward 60lbs and I am now 220 lbs and cannot run like that without hurting my hip and knees.

BUT.... I want to run a marathon by December. hahahahahahah

So I am here to start logging my journey BACK to health.

Today - the goal...is to walk consistently 3-4 times a week. I will also be doing HIIT. So I basically will be sprinting in between my walking. I would like to make this a goal for 1 month. Then if all is well - I will step it up.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 15:42
WONJ#3

BF:

Today's Cardio:

I am definitely slower than I used to be, but that's to be expected carrying an additional 60lbs.

I walked 3 miles and it took me 48:44 minutes.

Ugh, and yes that included my 2 minute runs after 3 minutes of walking! Sometimes I hadn't quite cooled down after walking for 3 minutes and I went a lil longer.
That seems really slow and yet I'm totally sweating. We all have to start somewhere.

At least I'm moving. I remember my old boss Larry saying any type of cardio activity for at least 30 minutes 3 xs a week will have tremendous health benefits.

I have time, I don't have to run 26.2 miles tomorrow.

As the weight comes off I am sure it will get better.