Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 06:22

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I will keep that book in mind AlienBug. I have a difficult time working out to a book but it's probably a good thing to have for referrence. I got an email on friday that the Kettlebell club had gotten my registration form for the workshop. It's Feb 7. I will keep everyone updated.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 18:50

BF:

Went to my kettlebell workshop today. I bought a 18 lb kettlebell too although I only used a 9 pounder in class. I will probably just be able to do the swings for awhile until i build up strength. I did turkish getup but used no weight.........that one is hard. I feel wiped out and like I really worked my muscles to exhaustion. The workshop wasn't constant working as they did a lot of talking to show us form and stuff but it was very informative.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 11:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

I've been doing kettlebell dvds off and on for a little over a year, I think....I use the Iron Core dvds, the Goddess Workout and my newest one is Kettlenetics....a bit more choreographed but fun for something different. I've used from 4 lb. to 20 lb. kettlebells and they all have their various uses. It's a good workout for me considering I have a bad knee...it's easily modified to fit my needs and I get a great workout!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 05:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff
I've been doing kettlebell dvds off and on for a little over a year, I think....I use the Iron Core dvds, the Goddess Workout and my newest one is Kettlenetics....a bit more choreographed but fun for something different. I've used from 4 lb. to 20 lb. kettlebells and they all have their various uses. It's a good workout for me considering I have a bad knee...it's easily modified to fit my needs and I get a great workout!

I've barely picked up my kettlebell since the workshop. I see that you have kettlenetics. That is one I was curious to try before I went to the workshop but never did. I only need to get a good dvd as all I have are instructionals and they are quite boring.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 08:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I've barely picked up my kettlebell since the workshop. I see that you have kettlenetics. That is one I was curious to try before I went to the workshop but never did. I only need to get a good dvd as all I have are instructionals and they are quite boring.

For a basic workout I like the Goddess workout dvd and the Iron Core series. They are straightforward and not choreographed. I'm sure some people think the Iron Core series is not as much of a workout and it's got 30 second rest periods between exercises but I look at that as almost an HIIT workout or could use the 30 seconds for a little extra cardio or something. The Goddess Workout has a lot of different exerices and you can mix and match them. I use a 15 and a 20 lb. kb for those.

The Kettlenetics is more of a choreographed "routine" with a tiny 4 lb. kb but it left me sore and I've only done it twice. I had taken some time off from the kb workouts from mid Jan to this week due to not enough time to get it all done....I also do other workouts and I try to mix things up....do something for a few months, drop it for a bit and do something else, then go back....I just did the switch this week which is why I'm back to the kb workout. I think once I learn the exercises better for the kettlenetics, I will have an easier time...I'm kind of dorky with anything choreographed! And I will definitely move up to a 10 lb. kb once I get the moves down!

The thing is, kettlebell workouts do tend to be boring if you like the more choreographed stuff. But I like the fact that it can be done fast and you get a great workout that is strength and cardio at the same time. I keep all the kbs on the floor for ease of switching during the dvd if necessary. I do most swings with the heaviest one and anything that is more like a swing/lift I do with the 15 lb kb although I may use the 10 lb kb for the next week or two.

I find that I can move up quickly in weight if I do the workouts at least 3x a week.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 06:06

BF:

I'm the same way as you Linda. I do something for a month or so then switch to something else. I do like choreographed workouts for cardio but lifting or resistance not so much. I just need a better dvd for kettlebells. I've heard good things and not so good things about kettlenetics. I guess the hardcore kettlebell people think it's a joke. But I think one day I will get it. I like lots of variety.

Right now I"m doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I have done it for two weeks and will continue for two more. Then mayb it's time to hit the kettlebells again. I did find when I was doing kettlebells that the 18 pounder got easier to handle the more I did it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 16:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I'm the same way as you Linda. I do something for a month or so then switch to something else. I do like choreographed workouts for cardio but lifting or resistance not so much. I just need a better dvd for kettlebells. I've heard good things and not so good things about kettlenetics. I guess the hardcore kettlebell people think it's a joke. But I think one day I will get it. I like lots of variety.

Right now I"m doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I have done it for two weeks and will continue for two more. Then mayb it's time to hit the kettlebells again. I did find when I was doing kettlebells that the 18 pounder got easier to handle the more I did it.

I definitely think that it's not for hard core kb people but it's a fun workout for a change. I felt like it was good cardio and my legs were sore for a couple of days from the squats so it was still a workout in my opinion....
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach diet
Stats: 216/165/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Kettleball gets a A-OK in my book because it uses functional movement and strength building
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 17:03

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialgym
Kettleball gets a A-OK in my book because it uses functional movement and strength building

+1 and it is so efficient it's almost like cheating. KB swings, snatches and presses have given me well-defined arms, without ever doing curls or tricep extensions, 6-pack abs without ever doing a single crunch and legs like elevator cables, without being bulky. Still got no butt though. I also have a resting pulse in the low 50s and a 2-minute heart rate recovery of 60. Best part is my workouts are 20-25 minutes, 3-4 days a week.

P.S. I find it hard not to roll my eyes when twiggy runners ask "but what do you do for cardio?"
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach diet
Stats: 216/165/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
+1 and it is so efficient it's almost like cheating. KB swings, snatches and presses have given me well-defined arms, without ever doing curls or tricep extensions, 6-pack abs without ever doing a single crunch and legs like elevator cables, without being bulky. Still got no butt though. I also have a resting pulse in the low 50s and a 2-minute heart rate recovery of 60. Best part is my workouts are 20-25 minutes, 3-4 days a week.

P.S. I find it hard not to roll my eyes when twiggy runners ask "but what do you do for cardio?"

Have you incorporated squats with your kettle-bells?
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 16:54

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialgym
Have you incorporated squats with your kettle-bells?

Not really, not being an NFL running back, I've never seen the need for massive thighs. I occasionally do one-legged, butt-to-the-floor "pistol" squats.

My workouts are pretty basic:

Monday: "Take it easy"
One arm clean & pressw/63lb bell, 5 sets of six each side
One arm snatch w/53lb bell, 10 minutes, about 60% of what I could do "all out"

Tuesday:
Varies, some pullups, either two arm or a (very) few one-arm, some dips or one-arm pushups and a few pistols. Sometimes I'll take the 2-year-old on a 4-5 mile walk pushing the jog stroller.

Wednesday: "Kinda tough"
One arm clean & press, 5 sets, about 10 reps each
Swings w/63lb bell, 10 minutes at about 75-80% of "all out"

Thursday:
70lb power cleans and either Turkish getups (TGUs) or windmills, or some combination of the three, or more dips and pullups and a walk.

Friday:
Off

Saturday: "Go heavy"
Clean & press, sets of 15, when I can do 5 sets, I'll up the weight
Swings, 10 minutes "all out" which usually means about 210

Sunday:
Off