Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 18:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Holiday coping mechanisms?

So, tomorrow is Easter. The kids are going to have a lot of treats around which will be very tempting for me. I had been planning for weeks to make a carrot cake from scratch but I'm not going to. I found a recipe for Atkins Cheesecake, so I'm going to make that instead.

How do you all deal with the holiday temptations?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 18:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

In the beginning I used to cheat. By cheat I mean have some low carb food before I attended the party. No one but you need to know that you cheated. I hope you find this technique helpful.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 133/124/112 Female 58ins
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess
So, tomorrow is Easter. The kids are going to have a lot of treats around which will be very tempting for me. I had been planning for weeks to make a carrot cake from scratch but I'm not going to. I found a recipe for Atkins Cheesecake, so I'm going to make that instead.

This is going to sound so sanctimonious, but I don't give into them - because personally, I don't have them.
I'm very fortunate that actually, I never really had a sweet tooth to begin with, so saying 'no' to high-sugar treats is no sacrifice to me.
Spaghetti was harder. I love spaghetti, and being Italian, it has always been a staple, so in the early days, I couldn't imagine being able to do this so completely.
Now? I shudder at the thought of eating any, and have somehow, subconsciously generated an actual aversion to anything carby.
I can't look at pasta, rice, bread and potatoes, without grimacing, or wincing.

It must have been a mind-set that established itself in my brain early on.
It's frankly, very welcome to stay for as long as it likes!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 04:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The only thing that has worked for me is to make a rule and stick to it. I don't eat sugar, grains, fruit...fill in the blanks with those things you don't eat and then you don't have to make any decisions. You just say "no". Over time this just becomes second nature and as TaraMaiden says these foods become aversive. I view them as poisons and no matter how good they may taste or how good I remember them tasting, I don't eat them because I don't voluntarily ingest poison.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 06:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

The absolute, most critical thing for me is to not take ONE BITE. Refuse to believe the lie that you'll "just" have one little teensy weensy egg. Fill yourself up on your allowed foods, treat yourself to something you might not normally, like that cheesecake. Something like that motivates me because I would have spent money and time on the cheesecake, and cheating on crappy chocolate would throw that effort right out the window, in my mind. I'd be mad at myself for sure.

It helps if you buy only (or mostly) chocolate for the kids that you don't care for. (Yeah, too late this year, I know. ) I got my SO a little chocolate rooster and it contains wheat flour. My gluten reaction is bad enough that stuff like this is 100% off my radar. Absolute NO.

Don't buy too much. They have your genes and don't need it any more than you do. My parents always got little presents to put in our Easter baskets.

Another thing that helps me to avoid cheating on stuff that SO bought, is to really elevate it to "his" status. He says he wouldn't be mad at me if I ate his chips (or whatever,) but I might be annoyed if he ate my last (LC whatever) that I made for myself and I was looking forward to it. I know they're just kids, but once you've given it to your kids, it's theirs. Taking it back would be mean.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 07:54

BF:

Thanks everyone for sharing, you're very helpful!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

.... And don't fall for the "Oh come on, one little bit won't hurt you!" brigade!

My response is always, "Ok, if it's that harmless, you have it then! Be my guest!"

I've had a variety of replies, ranging from, "oh no, I've had enough!" (Response: "Good, so have I!" "But you haven't had any!" "Exactly!") to self-deprivation and lack of enjoyment.

And I always tell them "A minute 'twixt the lips, a month on the hips! If this is self-deprivation and lack of enjoyment, all I need to tell me that I made the right decision, is to stand on my scales! Believe me, when I see how much I've gained in health and lost in pounds, that's a far greater enjoyment! But you want it, you go right ahead!"
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 08:05
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
The absolute, most critical thing for me is to not take ONE BITE. .....

<snip>

Taking it back would be mean.

Good luck.

Excuse me asking here, but - how does one 'like' posts, on the forum, please?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 09:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMaiden

And I always tell them "A minute 'twixt the lips, a month on the hips!

I love this! Great point!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 09:17
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Everyone before me gave some really good advice!

I think the most important thing to remember is that we're surrounded by temptations every single day...holiday or not.

I have a boat load of go-to strategies to help me thru the temptations.

My biggest one is knowing that if I give into a temptation to eat off plan, where will that lead? B/c I know I am a carb addict... so I don't cheat ever, it's so not worth it to me.

I have worked to hard to get where I am to let a temptation derail me now!

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 12:49

BF:

Thank you so much everyone for all of the advice. I am doing good. The cheesecake is cooling in the fridge for later, and I made low carb meatballs. I'm curious to see how they will come out later.

I also have shirataki noodles to have later while my family has regular spaghetti.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 14:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My best advice is the advice you gave yourself. It's Easter, you should have something special. I have never cheated on a holiday as long as there was low carb cheesecake, or some heavy whipped cream and berries around.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 13:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Sounds like you did great with the cheesecake And shirataki. Well done!

For future, here are a couple ideas I didn't see already posted:
1. Get excited about no food parts of the holiday- for Easter, I would think about things like a pretty table setting with flowers and cute bunny or carrot decorations, an Easter egg hunt for the kids, dying eggs with kids (why look, now you have great low carb snack in the fridge)..... For July 4th, I'd get excited about fireworks and dress the table with flags and stuff, etc....
2. As teaser said, make something special. I love making holiday themed low carb meals. Just google keto and whatever holiday, you will find loads of ideas.
3. This sounds vain, but wear form fitting clothes.....
4. During the holiday, keep busy! If you are washing dishes, you aren't grazing on the pie left on the counter. And even if you aren't hosting, everyone loves a helping hand.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 17:50

BF:

Thank you. I am so fixated on food. I like your suggestion to focus on decorations and other things.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 10:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I'm glad you liked the non food related ideas. Here are some more :

I'm assuming you have young children from your initial post--

Christmas-
Take kids to see Santa, a holiday light display, live Carolers....
Go to one of those farms where you can pick out your tree, and make a day of dressing it with the family.
Take them sledding or ice skating
Watch all the old classic movies
Volunteer at a place making meals for those less fortunate. It's a perfect time of year to try and get kids to understand how lucky we are.

Valentine's
Instead of an overpriced dinner from a pre fix menu, maybe you could do something romantic with your DH like get a couple's massage, take a dance lesson, spend a night away in a town close to home (like a country inn or maybe a cutesy historic town nearby), etc....

Thanksgiving
Food is th focus of the day- but don't forget the Macy's day parade, enjoying a nice walk on a nature trail to see the leaves change, all the new clothes you will need after losing weight you can get great deals on cyber Monday!, etc....
I make some low carb favorites like cauli mashies, but mostly I focus on just enjoying seeing my family altogether and I volunteer for dog walking duty.

Super Bowl (American's second highest calorie count after thanksgiving!)
I like to get creative with fun low carb recipes here. We have done nacho toppings (meat, salsa, guac, cheddar, sour cream- but I used bell peppers to scoop
Chilli is a great one
Pulled chicken/ pork stuffed bell peppers
Wings!
Etc.....enjoy the game and have fun low carb recipes just for the occasion

July fourth
Again, I like making themed stuff- a favorite was a huge berry and cheese plate I made. It looked an American flag- blueberries for the square, rows of strawberries, cherries or raspberries alternating with rows of white cheeses cut into squares, to make stripes.
I have also done fruit/ cheese skewers with American flags......
If you are grilling, set up games in the yard for the adults, too. A bean bag toss is dirt cheap and a lot of fun for adults as well as kids.

Halloween
Movies that are age appropriate are a good choice.
Carving pumpkins with the kids is fun- and you can roast the seeds for a perfect low carb snack. I'm partial to lime juice and chile, I'd do cinnamon and Splenda since you have kids.
Deck out the house and yard with cobwebs, and whatever. I did a pretty involved centerpiece last year with day of the dead decorative plates, skeleton arms for the stems of cheap champagne glasses, and a few pumpkin/squashes.
Go to a farm to let kids the pumpkin, and enjoy a wagon ride or whatever other stuff they have going on (many have goats to pet, you can slide on a hay bale, etc.....).
Visit a haunted house/ trail walk of your kids are old enough.
Even playing a Halloween soundtrack and lighting the pumpkin is a fun thing to do in October.
Get into the costumes

After awhile, you won't miss the old carby traditions. You will have so many traditions and you will so much better, you won't feel like you are missing out on anything. You will have come to love your new lifestyle and holidays will be just as special. In fact, I'd say they are better, because wouldn't it be nice to wake up on Black Friday without feeling a truck hit you and your pants are too tight?

Holidays should never feel like you are depriving yourself. It's just shifting mentally in terms of the things are celebrating.