Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 21:23
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs down Fat & Fab

It's really sad when people BASK in their obesity.

http://eastbayexpress.com/Issues/20...ws/feature.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 21:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

But it is very good when people accept themselves and don't put their lives on hold just because they're obese.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 21:31
Registered Member

BF:

You don't have to put your life on hold to lose weight. This whole "fat acceptance" thing is just a way of getting out of doing the hard work to lose the weight and be the healthiest person you can be.

At my heaviest I knew I was fat. I wasn't willing to do anything to change that, but I didn't go around saying how wonderful it was to be fat.

This woman is local to me. The lake in the article, Lake Merritt, is literally a short walk from my health club. I aim to walk around the lake one of these days.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:10
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Wow, are you sure you don't want to just walk ON the water instead?

No need to step on we fatties who aren't up to your standard. Not putting your life on hold means not hiding because people judge us for "Not doing the hard work".

Quote:
"The diet industry is a fabulous business because it never works, and people always blame themselves," said Elizabeth Scott of the Body Positive,

No need to blame ourselves when there are so many volunteers!

#5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:12
Registered Member

BF:

I'm not stepping on anyone. Everyone who is here is here because they WANT to lose weight. This woman is saying overweight people shouldn't lose weight. To accept yourself and want to change is one thing; to accept yourself and feel there is no need to change is quite another.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:15
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

More power to her. Wish I had the guts not to wear long shirts to hide my size 16 body. Shame - not a good thing at any size. denise
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:16
Fully Caffeinated

There are plenty of people here who WANT to be healthy, no matter what their size.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:18
Registered Member

BF:

Personally, I don't see how 100 pounds overweight can ever be healthy.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:30
Fully Caffeinated

There are plenty of healthy people on this forum ALONE who are very healthy and still overweight.

We can debate the health effects of obesity til the cows come home, but I do know for ME there's a direct link between trying to cram myself into someone else's ideal body shape, hating myself for not being perfect, and being depressed and sick.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:36
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down

No one is trying to cram anyone into anyone's body shape. But frankly, this woman is crazy if she thinks she can be healthy at 100 pounds overweight. Sorry if you don't like that opinion, but I make no apologies for it. The health effects are very real. A little overweight is one thing - I see overweight but extremely healthy people at the gym every day. But I have never met a healthy person who's morbidly obese. Hell, at 70 pounds overweight I wasn't healthy. I'd get winded just climbing the stairs to my apartment.

Ok, how many people actually READ the piece? I know these two didn't because it's long and they responded within minutes.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 22:55
Fully Caffeinated

You must think you're the first one to ever have read the article, or anything like it? We've discussed the Fat Acceptance movement quite a bit around here in the past.

There was quite a lively discussion in 2005 when the studies cited in the article came out, I recall.
It's a subject quite obviously close to my heart, so I really have been following the issue for some time.

I used to share a lot of "How the hell can she feel GOOD about herself and not be as eager as I to lose weight?" issues, until my life changed and I learned a few hard lessons along the way.

I guess I'm weighing down the other end of the teeter-totter now, wondering why everyone can't just accept themselves and be the healthiest, happiest WHOEVER they are.... <shrug>
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 23:05
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up another article

From Jimmy Moore's blog (i.e. I did not write this, though I do agree with him).
http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.c...oid-weight.html

Fat Acceptance Is A Ruse To Avoid Weight Loss

Why can't society just accept fat people for who they are? They're human beings too and should not be scorned by others just because they carry around a few extra pounds. When are we going to stop begging people to lose weight when it is quite possible to be healthy at any size?

Have you heard statements like these from some well-meaning people? The "fat acceptance" movement has taken root in this country with groups like the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance promoting their viewpoint that fat is beautiful and nobody should be forced into losing weight if they don't want to.

I'm sure many of my longtime readers remember how this woman got so mad at me over this blog post because I dared challenge the premise that being fat is okay. The notion of accepting fat people for who they are sounds pretty good on the surface, doesn't it? If I'm fat, then it's my choice to be this way so LEAVE ME ALONE!

Okay, fine. But as someone who used to weigh over 400 pounds, I not only have a right to speak out, but I would also say that it is my responsibility to share with others that remaining obese is not an option when there are viable ways to shed the pounds even when you think you've tried everything.

Unfortunately, we have people pushing "fat acceptance" like Kim Barto who believe strongly that weight loss is overrated. She is a senior at the University of North Carolina-Asheville just up the road from my hometown of Spartanburg, SC and she recently wrote this op-ed piece for The Citizen-Times about this very sensitive subject of America's obession with weight loss which Barto describes as "urealistic" and even "harmful."

Barto attempted to provide evidence to support her theory about American culture hung up on dieting by noting that eating disorders have risen sharply while more and more people express concerns about their weight. She contends that this is leading to higher rates of mental disorders that sometimes leads to suicide attempts and even death.

Morbid thoughts indeed. But what Barto is conveniently forgetting is the fact that TWO OUT OF EVERY THREE AMERICANS IS OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE and the rates keep going up and up! So it stands to reason that weight loss is on our minds as a country because it needs to be. We're FAT!

In Barto's world, though, she doesn't see anything wrong with people remaining fat if that's what makes them feel good.

"A wide variety of body types are normal, depending on one’s bone structure, metabolism and genetics. It is fruitless and misleading to expect everyone to conform to the same weight. Whether you are naturally muscular, chunky, twiggy, curvy or tiny, trying to change your body can be frustrating and even dangerous."

Now wait just a minute, Ms. Barto. What is so "dangerous" about someone trying to lose weight? When I weighed an abysmal 410 pounds at the beginning of 2004, many would say I had put myself in a bad situation, even a potentially "dangerous" one. My health was on the decline with breathing, blood pressure and cholesterol problems among other ailments. I was quite literally a ticking timebomb just waiting to explode.

But then I started livin' la vida low-carb and changed my life forever. Sure, I could have just accepted my fat for what it was and begged people to not judge me for my weight. However, it wasn't about my image, but rather my health. It was better for me to go on the Atkins diet than to remain obese. I honestly believe I may not be here today had I not lost 180 pounds two years ago. Weight loss not only was a desire, but a necessity for me to survive.

It kills me how people like Barto like to bring up the point about how 98 percent of dieters gain back their weight and then some within five years. To that I say SO WHAT?! What the heck does that have to do with the person who needs to lose 50, 100, 200 pounds because their health is in disarray because of their obesity? If diets fail then don't go on a diet. Instead, find a permanent lifestyle change you can do for the rest of your life.

My weight loss is still less than three years old, so I suppose it is possible I have time to regain my weight, too. Should I just throw my hands up in the air and just assume the weight will come back on my body? Is giving up hope for lasting weight loss success the answer? Heck no, it isn't. Weight loss is a journey of choice that YOU and ONLY YOU must make for yourself if it is something you need to do. Fat acceptance is nothing more than a ruse to avoid necessary weight loss. PERIOD!

The problem is that too many people are in denial about their weight problem to begin with. In other words, people HAVE too easily accepted their size and it is now taking a toll on their health. Rising obesity rates is creating financial problems for Medicare because of the extra healthcare costs that are involved with obesity-related diseases. The unintended consequences of fat acceptance is declining health among all age groups.

Lamenting the weight loss profits totaling nearly $50 billion a year, Barto said this is all just so ridiculous and people should stop trying to lose weight while lining the pockets of those who don't care about their health.

"What a paradox, that dieting should be such a lucrative industry in a country with such high obesity rates. Someone is obviously profiting from fat phobia in a big way. Take a nation of insecure people, bombard them with images of impossible beauty standards, and they will greet the latest fad with open wallets. Couldn’t those billions of dollars be better spent? Instead of trying to buy happiness, think of all the good that money could do if diverted to cancer research or stamping out hunger."

Oh please, Ms. Barto. There's no conspiracy to trick people into thinking they are fat to get them to buy weight loss products. Have you looked around lately? There are a LOT of people who are FAT! It literally breaks my heart to be in a public place like a restaurant and see someone whose belly sticks out in front of them at least two feet. My first thought is, "God, I can't believe that's how big I used to be." Then I remember the hard work I put into losing my weight and wish so desperately to help these people get healthier, too.

While everyone is trying to get their piece of the proverbial pie in the diet industry, it is up to the consumer to be smart about what choices they make regarding their own health. They can't rely on a company like Nestle to provide them quality products for a healthy diet. Misleading marketing ads exist out there and people need to educate themselves about what is best for them. This blog post was the perfect illustration of the business model for being in diet market.

Barto contends that people can be in "good health at any size."

"Too many dieters harm their bodies and psyches by skipping meals, purging and popping pills in the quest for skinniness. We should eat for nutrition and well-being, not solely to lose weight. Amidst all the deprivation and guilt associated with eating, we often forget that fresh, simple food is a joy in itself."

Does carrying around a big pot belly cause harm to our bodies, Ms. Barto? It most definitely does, which is why people need to lose weight. I don't advocate starving yourself, throwing up or taking the latest magic weight loss pill to get there. But a healthy low-carb lifestyle has been proven to be the most nutrient-dense and balanced nutritional approach I have ever come across in my life. There's no deprivation, but rather indulgence to the max on this amazing way of eating.

Concluding her article, Barto said it is time for a "change in mindset."

"Let’s embrace diversity of size and question the source of our insecurities. Find the weight that’s healthy for you, individually, without comparing yourself to the skeletal models on TV. Life is too short to hate your body."

I agree with the point that the warped image of what "normal" is from Hollywood is wrong. But there are ways to deal with your weight problem and get healthy that fall outside the realm of these unrealistic images. Heck, technically I'm still obese despite losing over 180 pounds! But am I worried about that? HA! Yeah right! My body is much better off now in the 220's than it was at 410.

Wouldn't you agree, Ms. Barto?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 23:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, Newbirth, but it sounds to me as if the underlying basis of some of your statements here is that losing weight is not all that hard. You did it, and therefore others can do it too.

I am very happy for you that you were able to lose weight with relative ease. But for many of us who are older, with medical conditions and on medications that cause weight gain, it is not at all easy. In fact it can be impossible at times.

I can remember when I was a lot younger wondering, because I had easily dieted off a whole extra 5 pounds, why people with a lot more weight to lose didn't "just do it." Now that I am older and with a whole lot more problems, I am embarrassed to think I was ever so arrogant.

For people to not just accept themselves as they are, but to try to improve their health by exercising sounds great to me. Now I freely admit I did not read the whole article, but I think acceptance and basking are 2 very different different words.

Just my opinion...

Rosebud
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 00:58

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Arent some football players "overweight" - up to 100lbs? and body builders can be "overweight" also... They seem to be healthy to me... healthyish anyway. Never know whats really going on unless Im at the doctor with them.

I think its really sad when people judge other people for no reason and expect everyone else to agree with the opinion, then feel the need to defend it when they dont, but then again I might not have the right to comment due to my lack of acctual commitment, determination and hard work.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 01:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

This is my take...

There is a difference between not discriminating against people who are overweight and supporting them in their unhealthy lifestyle.

I personally think a larger person should not be treated badly because of their weight. Discrimination of any kind is inhumane. I have often seen people treat the obese like they're less than everyone else.

On the flip side, encouraging someone who is overweight to just accept themselves instead of finding a way to health scares me. I'll admit that I decided one day to be beautiful despite my weight..and surprisingly..everyone started believing I was. I got very comfortable with my size, but slowly, I realized how desperately sick I was. That how I felt day to day was not normal nor was it healthy. When I announced I was going on Atkins, most people rolled their eyes and just encouraged me to be happy the way I was. I ignored them.

I'm still working my way down to a healthy weight and it hasn't always been easy, but I do have a core support system in my life (including this forum) and it helps tremondously. The naysayers have gone silent and I'm glad for it. I need encouragement to lose weight, not someone telling me that its okay to stay where I am.

Encouraging people to just accept themselves as overweight is as bad as holding up a size 0 emaciated actress as the picture of perfect health in my book.

Just my thoughts...