Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:36
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default PCOS

This disorder is such a confusing one. With my daughter, it just all happened at once. She was thin when she was young, she had normal periods for about 2 years. Then, boom, wham, no periods and weight gain and exhaustion. I couldn't understand it.

I knew that it wasn't a change in the amount she ate...she was not gorging herself with foot, but at that time she discovered that she loved potatoes. She wanted carbs...she craved carbs. She did not eat a lot of sweets, but she loved potatoes and bread. Over a years time, she gained 20 pounds....she is only 5' tall, so those pounds showed.
The pill increased her weight gain and gave her headaches and upset stomach...she still stayed on them for a year before we just gave up on them. She had thyroid tests and sonograms...all fine. The doctors never mentioned PCOS or gave me any diagnosis. It is sooooooo frustrating! At least we know what the problem is now...at least we have an idea how to fight it. I can feel for every one of you that suffers from this. I have watched my daughters pain and frustration and the awful feeling that there was something less than "female" about herself. I think her self-esteem suffered more than anything else.
We have a friend whose daughter is having similar problems...only worse. They have not taken the girl to a doctor, but I am sure she has the same problem . She was a small child and overnight, she seemed to blow up! She is 13 now and showing the same symptoms as my daughter...only they are more extreem. I told the mother about this diet and the Met and she won't go for it. She says the poor child wouldn't get enough carbs on this diet! The girl is 13 and weighs 265 lbs. She has been picked on about her weight all her life. This is so frustrating for me. I care about this little girl and there is nothing I can do to help because they won't listen. We are still trying to get it through to them and perhaps if they see my daughter overcoming this, they will at least try the diet. I am sure this girl would need Met also, but try to convince them of that!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:51

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile Hello!

Welcome aboard Pepper. If you feel the need to ask questions to us, please feel free. We love to help if we can.

Spring: About that little girl you're trying to help: My only suggestion is to first convince the parents to bring her to a doctor. Or give them something to read. The other thing is to give the girl something to read. Depending on her age, she can do things on her own. For instance, if she reads about PCOS and sees that she has alot of the symptoms, then she can convince her parents about things.

I do have questions though: What's her diet like? How are her periods? What symptoms does she have other than weight gain? How old is she?

One baby step at a time. Some people are not willing to open their eyes!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:53

BF:
Default Sorry...

Spring: I just re-read your post... I saw you said she was 13.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:16
Registered Member

BF:
Default 13 year old girl

I am not completely sure about her diet. When she was over here, she drank tons of milk and a lot of cereal. I think she likes vegetables...it seems she eats normal amounts of everything but pigs out on milk and cereal in the mornings.
Her other symptoms...her periods are not normal but she is only 13. She had a period about a year ago and then one about six months later and I don't think she has had any since then.

I read about a disorder that has a skin discoloration around the neck and under the arms. She is showing this. She also sweats heavily. I always thought it was due to her weight, but now I am not sure. She is very very tall for a 13 year old....about 5'10 or so. She was diagnosed with ADD and has been on medication for that. I keep remembering a disorder that is similar to PCOS where there is a discoloration of the skin. My daughter does not have this dicoloration but her friend does.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default 13 year old girl

My word but that's young to be having so many problems. I can sympathize with you. I wish her parents understood that carbs are just sugar. In nature our bodies are designed for protein and vegetable intake. Fruits and other high carb food sources were seasonal and few and far between. There was no question of being on a low carb diet it seems. Now, all a carb-addict needs is a box of breakfast cereal. My downfall is always breads and potatoes, just like your daughter. But it's so unfair that children are treated like a "market" by advertisers, despite the apparent health risks to them. Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. I'll pray for you to receive wisdom in how to best deal with this. I know it's frustrating, but just listen to that still, small voice. You will do the right thing. Hang tough! Pepper
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 04:45

BF:
Default Hi

The skin dicoloration comes from insulin problems. I also have that and was told by my doctor that it's a sign of insulin problems.

It's hard when this isn't your daughter and her parents aren't open to helping their child or open to suggestions from others. Some people resent others help because they'd like to think they know it all!!! Unfortunately they only end up hurting someone they could have helped!

If I were you, I'd invite her over for the weekend, and serve her nothing but low carb all weekend. On Sunday I'd ask her how she's feeling! Explain to her what you're doing with your daughter, and say that the meals are to support your daughter. Maybe she'll catch on, and want to be like her (sometimes they like to do that)

Good Luck!
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 07:34

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:

Josee:

I'm curious about the skin discoloration. Can you give me specifics. I have PCOS and have been suffering with some sort of skin problem on my face. I'm not sure if this is something your talking about or if it's something else. I have had it for about 5 years now and have finally decided to go see a dermatologist. I know you mention you take Glucaphage or Metformin....How long did you have to be on it before your body adjusted. I hate asking this, but I feel desperate for answers and I feel I get more info from all of you rather than my own doctor. I am suffering with SEVERE stomache problems, I feel like I have to be close to a bathroom at all times. Will this go away? Are you taking 1500 mg?? Do you know if they have this in one pill or do you have to take 3 of the 500? I know alot of questions, Thank you so very much for your time.

Tara
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:44
Registered Member

BF:
Default I will try that

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try having her over for the weekend and see what happens. As we are all on Atkins, then maybe she will not feel singled out. I am thinking that as her guardian...she was taken away from her mother, sees my daughter loosing weight and feeling better, perhaps she will let the girl try this...I hope so.
So far, in 10 days time, my daughter has dropped 6 pounds and had a scant period....so there is hope!
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:06

BF:
Default Hi.

Tara: I did read that having PCOS does give achne as well. The skin discoloration I'm talking about is this yellowish tint on the neck, under the armpits and between the thighs. I'm not sure about the face though.

Spring: Let me know how it turns out. There's nothing better in my books than leading by example. What I told one of my friends is this: try it for a month. If after following it for a month, you see no results then quit it. One month is not health threattening if that's what worries you. When they start seeing just how much they lose in just one month and see that it wasn't so hard to do... they will change their minds!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:08

BF:
Default Ooops sorry, I forgot

Tara,

Yes it does go away this whole thing. TRUST ME!!! I thought the same thing as well. Give it time and try to take your met before the meal, during the meal, and after the meal and see which one works best for you.

For me it's after. It certainly cuts down on a diarrhea. I've heard some people taking it during the meal and others before. Try to find your happy medium.

Every once in a while it comes back, but I'd rather every once in a while then day in and day out!!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 05:25

BF:
Default More answers

I take 1500mg per day. One 500mg pill with each meal. I went up to 2000 but it was too high a dosage for me. I don't know if they make them in higher dosage, but I do believe I know why they make you take them this way....

If they have you take them throughout the day, then the medication is always working in your body. It's like someone with Diabetes. Once a day would be too much of a boost and a downer. Too much roller coster effect. Where as this way, it's a little at a time but constant. Your body will work better with the meds this way.

Hope this helps!
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 00:41

Plan: mix of Atkins and Paleo
Stats: 227/191/115
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wow! I've been reading this thread, as well as many others in this forum, and its pretty overwhelming. Sometimes I feel so disgusted with drs!

When I was 8 years old I had a lot of stomach aches and nausea and vomiting and my grandmother took me to our family dr who did a blood test, which came back fine. A month later when the symptoms persisted my grandmother took me back to the dr. He told her I was fine, and just didnt want to go to school. The solution, send me to school no matter what. Well, the vomiting and nausea and stomach aches went on for almost 2 years. One night, at about 3am I awoke from a dead sleep with such intense pain I couldnt do anything but double up and cry. My mother called emerg and they sent a dr over (this was the 60s). I remember him arriving and examining me but I dont remember him leaving or me going to the hospital. I was hospitalized, tests were done, they couldnt figure out what was going on, decided to do exploratory surgery, and turns out that I had 9 large gall stones (so they removed my gall bladder), and my appendix was enflamed so of course they removed that too. Would you believe that my family continued going to the same family dr after that?

When I was 12, and had my first period, my mother said I should see a dr for a checkup. I hadnt been to a dr since I was 10 and had the surgery. I refused to go, I begged, I cried, I pleaded. Finally she agreed to find me another dr, a female dr. That was when I began to see Dr Patry. She was my dr for 21 years. And she was a great dr.

When I was 16 I had a problem with recurring yeast infections that didnt seem to respond to the usual medications and she figured out an alternative for me that worked. She also tried to get me to change my diet but hey, I was 16.

When I was 17 I got pregnant. I contemplated having an abortion, or giving the baby up for adoption. My dr told me to think long and hard about my options and told me that she believed that I had "dysfunctional ovaries" and I should include this fact in my decision making. I decided to keep my baby, and I will never regret that I did.

When I was 24 and had been trying to conceive another child, she sat me down and told me that we would try everything we could, but I may have to face the reality that I did have "dysfunctional ovaries" and having more children just may not be in the cards for me. I was very angry, and very sad, and cried and told her how angry I was. She told me that she wished there was something she knew of to be done but that short of an "ovary transplant" which just wasnt done, there wasnt. She said we could try a few courses of fertility drugs and see if that would help, but no promises. So, for three months I used clomid, with no success.

A few years later, she called me at home (from her home) on a weekend and told me that she had just read something about some new research on "dysfunctional ovaries" and would like to refer me to a Reproductive Endocrinologist if I was interested. I lived in Victoria, BC, and the RE was in Burnaby, but I didnt mind making the trip.

I saw Dr. Jerrilynn Prior, and she was great. She told me that she believed that I had something known as PCO "polycystic ovaries" and she would like to try some experimental stuff with me. First, she had me take my temp (armpit) every morn and chart that and my cycles (which of course were very irregular). She put me on a drug called Spiranolactone, and another drug called Provera. She also had me cut grains from my diet (except rice). She told me that she believed that there was a sensitivity/intolerance to grains for many women with PCO. Within three months I was having regular periods, which seemed like a miracle to me. Then, she put me on a series of fertility drugs for three months, with no success. She told me not to be discouraged, we would take a 6 month break and then try again. So, I continued on the S and the P and the grain free diet. By this time I had started gaining weight. I had always been thin (although with very round hips and very large breasts I always thought I was fat). But now it seemed that with each year I put on exactly 15 pounds, no matter what I did (I was also totally into fitness and an aerobics instructor). She tested my thyroid and told me that I had developed Hashimotos thyroiditis. So, she put me on Synthroid.

When I was 32 we moved to another province because of my husbands job. I had not managed another child, and I had continued to gain exactly 15 pounds every year. When I was close to running out of my meds I decided it was time to see a new dr. We live in a small town and there are only 4 drs to choose from. I chose the female dr. I told her that I had PCO and of my history, and what medications I took, and she refilled them. When it came time for my annual physical the following year I told her that I was feeling very depressed and fatigued and that I felt like a beached whale. I was by now obese at 5'1" and 200lbs.

She referred me to her husband who was a dietician and had his own practice in conjunction with a fitness trainer. They had me keep a food journal and bring it in once a week. After the first few weeks journaling had been reviewed they told me that I would never be able to lose weight if I didnt stop lying to everyone and myself about what I was actually eating. They told me that if I only ate an average of 1100 calories per day (which is what my recorded food worked out to) I would not be obese, and therefore I must be eating a lot more and failing to record it. I went home in tears. They didnt believe me about what I ate, and I wasnt lieing. I quit going to them. And, because this was my drs husband I didnt want to go back to her either.

I just kept having my new prescriptions phoned in through my pharmacy. When two years had gone by the pharmacy said that my dr wouldnt renew my prescriptions over the phone and I would have to see her. So, I did, and she didnt mention anything about her husband or any of it. She did tell me that she would not renew my Synthroid since my levels seemed to be normal now on a very low dose.

When I went to see her a year later I had gained an additional 23 pounds. Then she told me that she would not renew my Spiranalactone meds as new research led her to believe that it wasnt good for me. I stopped having regular periods, I gained more weight, I lost a lot of hair, I started to develop hirsutism, and I felt like a mess.

A friend told me of a gp who was also a wholisitic dr and so I waited on a 6 month list to get into see him. He had me charting my cycles and morning temp again, and put me back on thyroid meds (dessicated thyroid). He had me go off the provera, and had me begin taking a number of vitamins and supplements. He had me eliminate caffeine and white flour from my diet (which I had by this time gone back to). I started losing weight and feeling quite a bit better, but I quit having periods. I didnt have one for a full year. Then I began having very heavy periods that would go on and on until I would have to have a D&C.

My gyne wanted to perform a hysterectomy. My gp sent me to another gyne.

The new gyne put me on birth control pills. I started to gain weight again and felt horrible again, although I was once again having regular periods. Then I started having excruciating pain. Turned out that my uterus was enlarged to 4xs its size and my ovaries were also enflamed. My gyne wanted to remove my ovaries. My gp asked me if I was willing to try some alternative treatments instead. He really didnt believe that removing my uterus or my ovaries was going to solve my problems.

That was February of this year. I have since gone off the bcp, and am on natural progesterone cream, as well as b12 shots and many other vitamins and supplements. He also had me cut all sugar from my diet. I also started doing research of my own on the internet. I found the Soul Cysters website where I learned about many women with PCOS having success with LowCarbing.

March 1st I began LCing. During the month of March I lost 32lbs. I also felt a lot better than I had in a long time. And, I had two periods (one for three days and one for ten days) which although quite heavy did stop on their own. When I went to see my gp again, (I see him every 6 weeks right now) I told him of the LC diet I had started. He was pleased with the weight loss, but there was a set back. I had always suffered from low blood pressure since childhood (my norm was 90/65), but when I went on the bcp my blood pressure suddenly shot up to 140/70. So, one of the things we were focusing on was getting my bp down. When I saw him toward the end of March after LCing for four weeks, my bp was up to 160/90. He wasnt pleased and wanted me to stop the LC diet and go on the Paleo diet. Finally we agreed on a compromise between the two. So, I see him again the first week of May and I am hoping and praying that my bp is down so that he will be convinced that LC is alright.

Meanwhile, I have been struggling a bit this month. With the added carbs of two servings of fresh fruit daily, and 5 servings of vegetables I am having a hard time losing weight. It seems to be all over the place. One morning I will weigh 195 the next 201, the next 190, the next 200, the next 191,... I am still overall down, but its very yo yo like and I am having a problem with water retention. It is a real problem. When I weighed 227pounds my rings wouldnt come off but they didnt hurt (my wedding rings). Now, at 190 - 200, there are days when my fingers swell so badly my ring finger turns red and blueish and my rings are so tight it really hurts. I am considering having them cut off it is getting so bad.

Has anyone else experienced this type of water retention?

Another thing that is happening is that my ankles are swelling, which is giving me legaches and hot hot feet. I have always hated having hot feet. I always sleep with my feet out of the covers, even in the dead of winter. My grandmother has radiant floor heating in her condo and I cant stand it! My feet never feel cool when I'm there. At first I thought the leg aches were a lack of potassium as I have heard some other LCers say that this is a common complaint. But, I have been on potassium supplements for three weeks now and if anything the legaches just got worse. Then one night I decided that I couldnt stand how hot my feet were and slept with an icepack under my feet and lo and behold my first night without legaches. So, now I sleep with an icepack on my feet every night and that seems to work.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem with their feet?

Kawanda