Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 05:17
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Smile metformin and diet

hi all,
i have a question? my doctor wants me to start metformin(glucophage) on tuesday, for a high insulin level, (sugar was normal). i just started low carbing. how do i handle both? is this dangerous? i dont want to go too low with the sugar, and insulin, and get sick? any suggestions? the adkins book said to be careful, of interactions.
also, has anyone read potatoes not prozac?
thanks for all your help in advance!!
paige17257
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 17:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Paige!

I took Glucophage daily for several months while low carbing without a problem. My dose did have to be cut in half and I eventually quit taking it because I didn't need it anymore to keep my blood sugars in line. Glucophage won't likely give you low blood sugars like other medications because it works differently. Glucophage works by making your body more sensitive to the insulin that you produce, not by making your pancreas produce more insulin like many other antidiabetic drugs do. Keep an eye on your blood sugars and let your doctor know right away if they start dropping below 80 consistantly.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 07:08
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default thank you lisa

thanks lisa!!
your info, was soooo helpful. i wasnt sure how the glucophage worked, all i knew was that my doctor said that it wasnt a diabetic medicine, but a "pre- diabetic" med. so, i am hoping that i am successful like you and with the low carbing, get off the meds, all together. it is so hard for me though, i never realized how much i like carbs, and crave them!! she also told me that the glucophage might help regulate my cycles, by regulating my insulin, and then i will also be able to lose weight easier. if you want to chat sometime, my name is Paigangel on AOL instant messenger, and just Paige on MSN. thanks again!!
paige17257
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 13:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Paige...

Actually, Glucophage (metformin) IS a diabetic medication, but it's also used for pre-diabetic stages such as insulin resistance because of the way that it works. I was taking it because I'm a diabetic. I know that many other doctors prescribe it for insulin resistance and also in some cases just to help people lose weight (most likely because they are insulin resistant). I'm not sure if your doctor or pharmacist told you this, but don't take it on an empty stomach or it could cause some problems with nausea. Always take it right after or during a meal, not before.