Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 115/95/100 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default OMG!! Cholesterol skyrocketed!

Hi. I mostly lurk here and have read how many people on the Atkins diet had lowered their cholesterol. I've also read DANDR and know the benefits of the diet. However, I went in for my yearly check up with my OBGYN and my cholesterol level has skyrocketed! One year ago, my cholesteral was 218 (below 200 is normal). I started Atkins on June 17, and have lost the 15 pounds that I wanted to lose. I am only 5'1" and am 100 lbs. and have been limiting my carbs for two months now. So, I don't understand how my cholesterol level is - get this- 347!! When my doctor told me this, I about died! I for sure thought that I would be below the 218 I was at this time last year.

I had a couple pieces of pork rinds last night, and this morining, I didn't have time to eat breakfast, so I had about 8-10 pieces of macadamia nuts on my way to the doctor's. Do you think this could've affected my cholesterol? How fast does the fat from the nuts go into my bloodstream? My doc is having me go back in on Friday after a 12 hour night fast to recheck my levels, but OMG! I'm still in shock! Please, somebody, tell me their is an explanation for this, and that it is not accurate! I would hate to abandon this way of eating because of this. My doc does not even know yet that I'm doing Atkins. I might have to tell him on Friday.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this. Thanks!

rain
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:23

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I think that you are supposed to fast prior to blood work for chlorestrol.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

Hi Rain74.
Please read page 119 in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book. (A Frequently Asked Question)It deals with cholesterol issues and may help explain it for you.
Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain74
I had a couple pieces of pork rinds last night, and this morining, I didn't have time to eat breakfast, so I had about 8-10 pieces of macadamia nuts on my way to the doctor's. Do you think this could've affected my cholesterol?
Definitely! Accurate cholesterol tests should be done after fasting for 12 hours - nothing but a little water, don't even smoke if you smoke. You also need to get the breakdown of triglycerides, HDL and LDL. A rise in HDL is a good thing, and it will be reflected with a rise in total cholesterol - but that is actually protective of CVD.

I think you're stressing over nothing, at this point. Have the test redone - and make sure you fast for the minimum 12 hours!

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Please see my reply in your other thread in the Cholesterol/Heart Disease forum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...257#post1309257

-Nat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:58
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

YES! Doing those things will raise your cholesterol. I had the same thing happen after adding cream to my coffee and then going to get my cholesterol checked. Wait a little while-and go back in after fasting. You aren't supposed to eat anything after 8 or 9 the night before
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:07

Stats: 137/117/115
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Some Reassurance

I've been on Atkins since January and nearly died when I had a free cholesterol check at our community center in April. I did not fast prior to the test. My cholesterol was 318! However, HDL, the good cholesterol, was 73 - anything over 40 for that is considered good. BUT 318???

So, in a panic I made an appt with my doctor to have a second test done on August 16 (with a fast). Results were as follows:

Cholesterol - 265
HDL - over 100
Triglycerides - 65

My doctor was thrilled with this. Why? Because HDL and triglyceride levels were ultra-low -- and they are what count when it comes to heart disease risk, not total cholesterol --even though that went down too. In fact, my doctor said my good cholesterol (HDL) was so high, they couldn't even calculate my bad cholesterol (LDL).

So take heart!! and be sure to get your HDL, LDL and triglceride levels. Those are the important measures.

Jane
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:22

Stats: 228/207/155 Female 67 in.
BF:
Progress:

My doctor recommends at 12-hour fast before cholesterol testing. And the lab technicians always ask if I've fasted the 12 hrs.

P. S. I'm a newbie, but just had to comment on this.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:28

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Everyone is right. You should fast before the test for it to be accurate. My husband is a medical technologist and he does these tests. My GYN checked my cholesterol the last time I was in but only because I hadn't eaten breakfast or anything since the night before.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 17:38

Stats: 115/95/100 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 133%

Thanks for all your replies, everyone. I feel a little better now. I just have to prepare myself for a lecture from my doc on Friday. I'm sure that if my cholesterol is still high, and it probably will be since I've only been doing Atkins for 2 months, he'll question me about my diet. Thanks again, and I'll definitely have my levels rechecked in four months.

rain