Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 03:54
Registered Member

Plan: vegetarian LC
Stats: 136/133/120 Female 5ft 6in
BF:27
Progress: 19%
Default London LCers

Hi everyone,
I've been knocking around the forums for a couple of weeks now and just stumbled across this UK one today.

I'll be finishing induction over the next few days (haven't actually picked an exact date for upping my carbs yet!) and I'm pretty new to LCing. I think I've sussed what products are available in Boots H&Bs and the big supermarkets (and there's not a great selection is there?) and I can't bring myself to pay the extortionate prices most online retailers are quoting. So some tip-offs on good shops and restaurants to visit would be really useful, especially in the london area as I'm in NW London (well, middx really).

(BTW, I'm vegetarian and I know you carnivores can eat anything you like from the Dundee Steakhouse or whatever, so there's no need to rub it in!)

Also, does anyone have a really easy recipe for low carb bread, with not too many ingredients, that I can make in my bread machine?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:47

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Jebuk and welcome to the low carb forum.

Sorry can't recommend vegetarian restaurants as seldom eat out, particularly in your part of London.

Do a search for low carb bread recipes. There have been several recipes posted on this forum, but don't forget to look in the recipe forums as well. Never had an interest in bread, so have never tried myself.

I am hoping to arrange a picnic in St James Park on Saturday 10th July. Perhaps you will be able to come. Need to get a thread going about it.

Every success.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: vegetarian LC
Stats: 136/133/120 Female 5ft 6in
BF:27
Progress: 19%

Hi Anne,
Thanks for the lovely welcome. I'll try looking through this forum for bread recipes, I looked on the recipe forum and most of the ones I found were either really complicated (I'm not much of a cook!) or contained ingredients I've never seen in the UK.

Thanks so much for inviting me to the picnic, I'd love to come. I do sometimes have to work on Saturdays, at the moment I don't have anything in my diary though, so hopefully I'll be able to make it.

Your weight loss looks pretty amazing - well done!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:52

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Jebuk, Urban Gypsy has posted a *UK* bread recipe in her journal, you might want to have a look at that for inspiration

I'm avoiding it myself as I know my weak points and don't want to tempt them But it sounds delicious...

Hope to see you on 10 July
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 05:38

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

Just before I read the vegetarian bit I was going to suggest Nandos! Sorry can't think of any restaurants which are lc friendly. Good luck in finding one!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:20
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I'm in Middx. myself and Nando's is a big lifesaver for me, when I need to eat out. The only things I can think of are tofu-based dishes at Chinese places, but you have to be careful about the sauces--some of them are high sugar. I occasionally had Chinese when I was on Atkins, and I don't recall any bad effects.

I also rely on Holland & Barrett whey protein powder (called "Body Fortress"), which frequently goes on half price sale making it about £13 for a big tub. They also have soy protein powders, suitable for vegans. But IMO the whey protein tastes, um, "whey" better.

Emily