Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 09:11

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default I want ice cream!

I want it but I am not going to give in..I am on induction so is there something I can buy or make that will help me out a little?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 09:15

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Laurie - try the recipe for Ziplock Ice Cream in the recipe section - this will really satisfy your craving - tastes like frozen custard! Also, I whip up some cream w/a bit of sweetner (cocoa later on after induction) and freeze it. Not QUITE the same, but still works in a pinch!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 09:40

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

first off, get yourself an ice cream maker. the countertop models with the inner cannister that you freeze beforehand run around $50. then get yourself a copy of ben & jerry's ice cream cookbook. there are 3 or 4 recipes right in the front for different bases... wherever you see "milk", substitute half & half or light cream. wherever you see "sugar", substitute dry splenda. just make sure that whatever flavor you want to make, you keep the ingredients low-carb friendly. churn according to the manufacturer's directions.

i will warn you, whenever i used those bases, no matter how long i left the ice cream in the machine to churn, they always froze rock solid (though they did taste good). i had to start adding 1/4c of alcohol to the flavors in order to get scoopable results. i've used kahlua and bacardi melon rum with good results.

lately i've been using an egg custard base for my ice cream, but that takes 3 days to make.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 13:32
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Last time I had Ice Cream it was Baskins 'n Robbins Pralines&Cream in a waffle cone
I have had an no sugar added walnut ice cream that was very good at the local Chinese Buffet.
I try an ice cream maker, or its best to forget it unless as a special treat once a month. I have kind of lost my taste for it now which happens eventually on this diet plan.

http://www.epinions.com/Cuisinart_I...Ice_Cream_Maker
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 13:42

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I know how you feel, but (and don't anyone hate me for this) but the sooner you realize you can't make this woe look like what you used to eat, the more success you will have.

I promise you, once you get into a good ketosis and you're losing, the need for any treats will be met with very friendly foods.

Don't think about what you're not having, think about all you CAN have on this diet!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 19:52

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is not for induction, but it's reasonably low carb. I take about 1/4 cup frozen, unsweetened blueberries and stir in a few tablespoons of heavy cream and a bit of Splenda. The berries freeze the cream and you get an ice-cream-like dessert that ought to hit the spot. Don't overindulge, because it's about 5 carbs - pretty low for, say, Maintenance, but a bit high for Induction. But if it's that or cheat ... well, you know best what to do.

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 21:39

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

How about some jello with homemade whipped cream? You can also make cheesecake pudding, which is yummy!