Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 21:06

Plan: Atkins20
Stats: 127.8/125/121 Female 156
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Numb tingly face

Hello!

I've been on Atkins 20 for exactly one week now and sometimes I get this weird tingling sensation on my face, mostly my nose area. I have type 2 diabetes and since I started this diet I stopped taking my medication (Metformin) and I'm very happy about my blood sugar levels. The main reason to go low carb was not to loose weight (that's just a bonus! I need to drop about 4-5 pounds just to be at my pre pregnancy weight) but to stop taking Metformin which was giving me severe bloating and diarrhea! I feel great now and wonder what's with this tingling sensation? Has anyone else experienced this?
Also, after the induction phase will adding more carbs worsen the blood sugar levels again or will my body adapt to it?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 21:51

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Hi N!
Welcome here, I don't know what the tingling is, sorry.
Suggest you get deep into the diabetes literature, as there is a lot going on. When you decide that you have lost enough weight you'll probably need to carefully add this and that to see how much of what you can tolerate. I don't have sources at my elbow here, but relieving the stress on your pancreas and giving it a chance to heal MIGHT have potential, no promises but currently a lot of research.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 02:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
No idea about the tingling in your face, but have not heard of it as a location for diabetic neuropathy, best ask your doctor.

As for adding back carbs, that's where having a BG meter comes in handy. Test various foods, amounts of carbs and combinations of foods in a meal to see what your body can handle. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2014/...ool-fingertips/

Have you found the Diabetes forum? http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Good resources for LC diabetes info there.

All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 03:21

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Nodiabetes, Well, first welcome to the forum, second, isn't it a bit risky to just simply stop your meds, maybe you should be consulting with your Dr. just sayin' I don't know much about the disease, except that it can be nasty if not handled correctly, I think the best source of info here is your Dr. Best of Luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 11:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get tingling/numbness in my nose from migraine headaches. Any chance you get those?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 09:11

BF:
Default Thank you!

Thank you JEY100 for the extra information!

I actually figured out myself what's with the tingling, I think this is my body's reaction to ketosis (I checked with the Ketostix) which proves my theory. The good thing is that it doesn't last long and I no longer get the terrible migraines!
Now something else doesn't make sense! I exercise regularly (at least 3 times a week) and last week I stopped just to be on the safe side. I went back to the Gym and was pleasantly surprised I didn't immediately need a snack after working out as I didn't get a low, but today I checked it right after and it was higher than usual (I mean the beginning of the induction). Don't get me wrong, it is till in the normal acceptable range but higher than I would've expected it to be as exercising is supposed to help things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome
No idea about the tingling in your face, but have not heard of it as a location for diabetic neuropathy, best ask your doctor.

As for adding back carbs, that's where having a BG meter comes in handy. Test various foods, amounts of carbs and combinations of foods in a meal to see what your body can handle. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2014/...ool-fingertips/

Have you found the Diabetes forum? http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Good resources for LC diabetes info there.

All the best,
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 09:20

BF:

I met with my endocrinologist this past Monday and to my surprise she didn't mind at all stopping the medication an was all for trying this naturally if this doesn't become something frustrating for me. I will see her with the blood test results in three months and I hope everything is going to look perfect!
I know Metformin is not supposed to give you lows but it still did and the worst is the constant bloating and diarrhea and that was from the very beginning of my diagnosis which was in 2011! I feel great so far and I know they say you can not reverse diabetes but maybe by eating right I can? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl
Hi Nodiabetes, Well, first welcome to the forum, second, isn't it a bit risky to just simply stop your meds, maybe you should be consulting with your Dr. just sayin' I don't know much about the disease, except that it can be nasty if not handled correctly, I think the best source of info here is your Dr. Best of Luck to you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 11:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh, just another thought. Try a good B12 supplement. Preferably sub-linqual. The reason I mention that is metformin causes B12 depletion and B12 depletion causes neurological issues.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 13:08

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Nodiabetes, good for you for getting off your Metformin, especially if it was bothering you. I am diabetic and I can tell you that exercise will sometimes raise your blood sugar immediately afterwards, but it will come down lower in a while, and as your body gets used to the exercise it will eventually not go up as much. I wouldn't be too concerned since you said it didn't go up a lot, just more than you expected. You might have exercised a little harder too. That puts stress on the body, and stress can raise blood sugar.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Just keep testing!