Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 21:20

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default "Flomelette" - in search of the rising omelette

I made something on the fly I'll call a "Flomelette" (Failed Omelette) . I was thinking about these big fat omelette's I've seen. I think they do them in the oven. Then I started thinking about how to get them "big" I thought maybe some air or something so off I went...

3 eggs
salt and pepper
dollop of sour cream in eggs

Then I mixed them up with a stick blender. I was careful not to go do far, just some pulses then a good long blast. I could hear "some" are going in.

I have some corned beef that I'm trying to git rid of so I sliced some so that i could break it up easy. I folded that into the mixture in the blender thing. I heated up about a tablespoon of butter in a small teflon pan. Then I thought, "gee, I have this flax meal stuff, I'll mix in a heaping tbsp."

Heat was on medium and I added the egg mixture. Now what!? I cooked a lower temp then usually because I fugred these would kind of need to cook thru. Of course the center was still liquidy and the outsides were looking done. I thought this was the opportune time to try a flip. I can flip stuff really good in pans but I chickened out on this so I used a spatula to assist with gravity.

PLOP. It worked OK but the bottom had got a bit over done. I lowered the heat a titch and put a glass cover on to, I'm not sure why. Then the thing STARTED TO EXPAND! what the hell!? I flipped it, new side down on the plate and added some chili garlic paste and another dollop of sour cream. It kind of deflated before I could get a picture.

It wasn't bad but I wonder how anyone else ties to make one of these "expanding" omelettes. I do have an 8 inch cast iron skillet and maybe the oven would work. Is there any ingredients that make it better?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 21:48

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here is my go to Quiche, Thud

Crustless Quiche
Dozen large or jumbo eggs
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, monterey jack etc)
1 to 2 cups of cooked meat (bacon, sausage, spam, ham etc)
chopped onion to taste (optional) - (remember the carbs!)
broccoli or other cooked veggie or fresh baby spinach (optional)

Whip up the eggs and cream. Fold in other ingredients. Pour in a 9x13 inch pan (or a large cast iron skillet). Or do what I do and pour in a large muffin pan (makes 12 muffins). Either way use cooking spray first or butter the pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until cooked through (a little longer if in the 9x13 pan). This freezes exceptionally well, just nuke in microwave for 60 seconds or so. Make a batch on the weekend for quick and easy breakfast during the week.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.. let cool before cutting.
(Leftover taco meat is great for Mexican flavor)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 21:55

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

I've always found that adding some heavy cream to my eggs when I'm beating them will make for a fluffier omelet.

When I liked them a little more "well done", I would start them on the stove then finish under the broiler. Recently, my tastes have drifted toward a softer, more gentle cook (i.e. no brown bits), so I just do them on the stove over medium heat and risk the peril of the flip. It takes longer, but I love the taste and texture.

There's a little French cafe near me that does their omelets this way, and they've got me hooked on this style. They use lots of butter, and it's all about the taste of the egg.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 22:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I used to make (but haven't in years, for some reason) fluffy omelettes. Don't remember the exact process, but the most important bit was separating the eggs, and beating the whites (to either soft or stiff peaks; don't remember exactly) before folding in the yolks, cream, whatever else. Not very helpful, I know, but might give you a direction to head in. Maybe I should give it another try.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 07:03

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Wow! Good suggestions guys thanks. I got hungry just reading your posts ha! Jacques Pepin has been heard to say that he can judge a chef by their eggs. I will keep trying. I think he would shudder at such a brown thing
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 09:01
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey thud, I've done what Verbena has suggested with really good results.

Beat the egg whites to soft peak foam carefully folding in the yokes with cream, etc, so you don't break down the egg whites.

Make sure your eggs, bowl, beaters, etc are at room temperature to get greater volume.

Best wishes on your omelet!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 11:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I was going to say the same thing, Thud. Separate the eggs, beating the whites to soft (or even stiff, if you want) peaks. 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar, or less (.9 carbs in 1/2 tsp) will help them beat higher, and keep from collapsing.

Once they're ready, start with a little of the rest (the yolks and whatever else you've added) and fold in, a bit at a time, till the mixture is fairly uniform, then carefully spoon into the pan--in the oven is great, if you want puffy.

DON'T FLIP. Just cook.

Alternatively, you can google recipes for souffle, which is fancy fluffy omelette, although it WILL fall as it cools.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 14:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you want a puffy omelet then you've got to beat the egg whites separately and fold in the other ingredients. I did it once and decided it wasn't worth the effort. :-)

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CfO-rqdBiw
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 14:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Wow! Good suggestions guys thanks. I got hungry just reading your posts ha! Jacques Pepin has been heard to say that he can judge a chef by their eggs. I will keep trying. I think he would shudder at such a brown thing

Jacques Pepin is on my PBS channel right now, I love him!!

I love to listen to him because he has the same dialect that my mother did.
She always ate low carb naturally as many traditional French people do.