Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default I've joined the club...

I have as of today joined the "high cholesterol club."

Total: 230
HDL: 64
LDL: 154
Tri's weren't on the report, I'll get them on Monday. But since there was no comment about them, I have to assume they were at least normal, less than 150. I think I recall seeing it on the order, so I think they were done. It was a letter from teh Dr, not an actual lab report. I will be stopping by to pick up the actual report probably on Monday. Last time they were 73.

The total and the LDL represent a sharp increase over 18 months ago. I was LC then, too.

First time ever my readings were above normal. I had them tested in 1995 and my total was like 168 and my tri were really low--in the 40's. That was when I first started LC at age 30. They have gotten higher and higher each time, but now the total and the LDL have crossed over into "high." I have always used "my blood work is PERFECT" as an argument for LC, but I can't now, I guess.

I have to admit that even though I've counseled many here "don't worry about the numbers," it was really easy to say that when it wasn't my numbers!!!

Now, those are my numbers...and I am terrified to see them getting higher and higher every time I'm tested. I was convinced that LC would protect me from the same crap every single member of my family has (high lipids, heart disease, diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, statins, bypass surgeries, stents).

A cardiologist put my older brother on Lipitor when he was my age (43) prophylactically b/c of our family history.

I just "knew" it would never happen to me. Denial is a powerful thing.

It's scary to see my numbers beginning to approach theirs...despite following a totally different WOE.

I'm thinking about finding a new Dr before my next appt (6 months) just so I don't have to deal with it right now. Even though I like her, I can tell she's in the LDL-is-bad-camp. She wrote for me to go on a low fat diet and to exercise and that I don't medication "at this point."

I don't have the energy to compile the data to present a good argument...it would be easier to just...run. And keep switching doctors every year--til by some luck I stumble upon one who says, "you're fine."

I am quite shaken tonight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 22:33

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Your numbers are very close to mine. One thing I keep in mind is that not too long ago, 300 TC was considered appropriate. I mostly look at my HDL (75) and tris (63). The doctor wanted me to take statins, but I flat refused. I am also considering another doctor. Right now, I'm trying to decide whether I should see a local who was recommended by a friend. Or go to Shands and try to get to the bottom of it once and for all. (body temp, heavy periods, current doc says thyroid is fine.)

You and I also have in common eating off plan on occasion, and perhaps that has something to do with it. Our timing may be bad!

Want to hear something disgusting? Although, I am a bit concerned myself.
My DH eats crap. He eats lunch at McDonald's or Checkers or BK, you get the picture. Guess what his numbers are?

TC 168
HDL 38 (a little low)
LDL 100 (vicinity, don't remember this one)
Tri 73. Now, how does he do that when he eats crap?!?!
FBS 100 (He wasn't happy with this)
He's 47, appropriate weight, appropriate blood pressure. His brother is diabetic though. And my DH says he sometimes gets really sleepy after lunch. I told him it could be a blood sugar issue, or perhaps MSG from commercial spices.

Here I am, avoiding sugar, trying to eat right and though I DO feel my numbers are good, I detest fighting with the doctor.... And I won't promise to do what the new doctor says. Except perhaps thyroid meds, if necessary.

Also, like someone else said (maybe to you) in another post, cholesterol goes up in the winter, so a test in 6 to 8 weeks may be perfect..

Hang in there!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 01:31
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Elle, you might want to look into getting Colpo's Great Cholesterol Con book. I've heard very good things about it--despite Colpo's personality, he still garners a lot of respect for this work.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 03:42
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey Elle,
Your numbers are very simular to what mine were the first time I had them done. I didn't have anything to compare them to before low carbing.
I made a few changes and in 2 months, my numbers made a dramatic drop.
Do some reading on this thread if you haven't already.
I was kinda freaking out too.
Now, my numbers are fantastic.
Here is the thread just in case your interested in looking at my before and after numbers, and what changes I made:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...81&page=1&pp=15
I hope you find some peace with it. I know that i had already decided that no matter what my numbers were after they retested them that I was not going to stop doing Atkins.
Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 08:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why not get a real cholesterol test done, one that measures particle size? And if you're real nervous, get a heart scan done. There's no reason to get excited about numbers that don't really correspond to heart disease anyway. If you're going to get nervous at least have GOOD data to get nervous over.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com and search on VAP and NMR for info about the tests.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 10:34

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08

Your HDL is great, so that's a good number! You might want to read this article by Dr. Mary Enig about cholesterol (she calls it a 'phony issue'). This might give you some peace of mind. I know it did me. Be sure to take a look at her credentials below the article - she's not a quack!

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyou...fats_phony.html

Here is an excerpt:
Blood cholesterol levels between 200 and 240 mg/dl are normal. These levels have always been normal. In older women, serum cholesterol levels greatly above these numbers are also quite normal, and in fact they have been shown to be associated with longevity. Since 1984, however, in the United States and other parts of the western world, these normal numbers have been treated as if they were an indication of a disease in progress or a potential for disease in the future.

As a result of some of this misinformation, which was purposefully planted by the leadership of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) in 1984, many hundreds of thousands of people are treated with expensive medications to prevent the development of a non-existent illness. If the medications were only expensive and not life threatening, their use could no doubt be shrugged off as a harmless snake oil pharmaceutical scam; but, in fact, these are thoroughly dangerous medications for both physical and emotional reasons—for physical reasons because their use can lead to serious untreatable diseases such as liver cancer, and for emotional reasons because their use perpetuates the myth that cholesterol is dangerous and evil.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 17:33

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

You should also read this Which says near the end
Quote:
The three men who were heading the NHLBI (Cleeman, Lenfant, and Rifkin) were standing together in the Mazur Auditorium just before the Cholesterol Consensus Conference began. They were discussing the cutoff level of serum cholesterol to put into the consensus report. One said to the other two, "but we can't have the cutoff at 240 [mg/dl]; it has to be at 200 [mg/dl] or we won't have enough people to test."
So these three men, who were in the employ of the government susposedly to serve the people, ignored their responsiblilty and have harmed countless numbers of people - will stop before I say things worse!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 17:40
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up

Hi ElleH:

I am with you girlfriend. I get my blood tested every 3 months and I just had mine done this week. I have an appt with the Dr. on Thursday so I will be interested on what my new results will be. Here are my results from 3 months ago. I would be interested in anyone who has any comments.

Triglycerides 333

Cholesterol Total 183
HDL 39
LDL 77

Chol/HDLC Ratio 4.7

Comprehensive
Metabalic Panal w/
EGFR Glucose 83

AST 69

ALT 83

What is AST and ALT?

Then there are a lot of other readings that are "in range."
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 18:32

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08

Larry, thanks for that additional article by Dr. Enig. All I can say is WOW - That is outrageous!

I am currently playing the statin game with my doctor. He ordered a scrip sent to the pharmacy several weeks ago, and I asked him on the phone if I could just try to deal with things with diet alone. His reply was 'But I am trying to help you prevent a stroke!!!' See? He really, sincerely, does think he is doing the right thing.

But I did not fill that prescription, it is still on file at the pharmacy and I have not told the doctor yet that I am not taking it. My total cholesterol is exactly at 200 - perfectly normal in the old days (before that 3 man chat.....) and I am not going to be bullied into taking Lipitor!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 18:44
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike
Triglycerides 333

Pretty high triglycerides... were you low carbing at the time?
Quote:
Cholesterol Total 183 This number doesn't really matter
HDL 39 This number does matter, it is too low
LDL 77 This number doesn't matter... or it might if the particles are small, but the standard cholesterol test doesn't tell you that

What is AST and ALT?

AST and ALT are liver tests. They can indicate if you're getting fatty liver disease, due to alcoholism or excessive carb intake.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 18:52
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Thank you Nancy!

No, I wasn't LC at the time. But remember, these were my readings about 4 months ago. I had the tests done last week while I was 2 weeks into LC that I am going to the DR for follow-up on Thursday.
Interesting on AST and ALT... I will see what they are this time.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-08, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Elle, you know that if you inherited genes that cause high total cholesterol then you'll have it.

You know that women with higher cholesterol levels tend to live longer.

You know that high cholesterol doesn't mean diddly about heart disease.

You know that taking statins and life expectancy results in a negative correlation in women.

I understand how you feel -- in *your* life and *your* body you are suddenly confronted with dealing with an established medical myth that has been repeated so many times it is a mantra. The mere thought of having to deal with the doctor repeating that mantra is exhausting. Tell the doctor that statins, cholesterol, and low fat dieting are subjects that are off-limits. Period. This is not sticking your head in the sand -- it is sticking to what you know to be correct verses a myth that is used to frighten people into submission.

And hell, why not send Dr Eades an email. You trust him!

ETA: My last cholesterol total came back at 136. That number means my life expectancy is lower than yours.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 09:09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz

And hell, why not send Dr Eades an email. You trust him!

Actually, I did post a comment in one of his blogs about it! You know, I don't know what it is about my comments...he ALWAYS answers me. Always--even since he's said he's not going to answer comments any more! This comment was particularly pitiful! Maybe he took pity...

He said if I was this concerned, to spring for the particle size test, and that if it was predominately Type A, then I should feel a lot better.

I think I like your idea of saying the subjects are off-limits! As bold as I've always been with Drs (having worked so intimately with them for so many years), I am now afraid to do it, whereas in another life I would have told her without hesitation!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 09:10
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words, advice and support!

I'm feeling better...mostly back into my "denial" of it all. But, hey, if the denial turns out to be RIGHT in this instance, then I'll be OK!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 09:12
Experimenter

BF:

I would probably phrase it differently. I'd say that I need better proof that A) Statins actually work in women (they don't) B) That the cholesterol is actually contributing to a problem.

Then if they're willing to investigate further ask for a heart scan and a VAP or NMR test. Maybe they'll request it and you won't have to pay for it out-of-pocket like many do.