Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 00:53
Registered Member

Plan: high fat BFL
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 1.80
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2
Davide - I had amazing results - I think.....I am now on my 5th week, so I'm happy with my first 4 weeks.

Here is my tracker - http://www.bodyforlife-tracker.com/...le.cfm?id=17523.

You're right, great results indeed

Quote:
I'm still doing low carb, but not too low. I've added in brown rice, some fruit. I think I need to add more carbs in my post workout meal, I usually do a ready made BFL LC shake. Then an hour later, I'll have my egg white omlett loaded with spinach and 1/2 an orange. I'm still working on tweaking my menu some.

I would eat the orange (better yet juiced) immediately after the workout and the rice with the eggs one hour later. If you have glucometer you can see that even high GI carbs after the workout don't impact your BGs negatively because your body is so insuling sensitive and glucose tolerant
Dr James Kenney used in fact to say that a diabetic after a workout is not diabetic anymore, in that window of opportunity, when the body is in super glucose absorption

It's in the pre-workout meal that you want also some low GI carb and no fat
So I would avoid fruit in the pre-workout meal and maybe eat a just fruit smoothie 15 minutes before the workout

I have noticed better results immediately when I added concentrated sugar in my immediately after workout meal and I think the reason is that the postwork meals I used to have didn't stop cortisol synthesis so quickly as liquid high GI carbs
Also making sure that there's no over fat in the post-workout meal helped me a lot.

I also added lentils to my diet. It's true that they're legumes but they're actually a great food, extremely low GI, devoid of massive doses of antinutrients and leptins, easy to digest and richer in minerals, vitamins and protein and bigger hard to digest legumes. There are also studied showing reduced mortality in those that consume lentils periodically and increase insulin sensitivity. I use them to make spicy chili with tons of veggies (onions, peppers, cauliflower, zucchini, bruxelles sprouts, carrots) tomato sauce, diced chicken breat and lentils. That's my usual pre-workout meal

My other meals are virtually carb free except for trace amount in greens and veggies. What is improving my results is avoiding carbs at dinner and night, that's vital

Quote:
The scale has barely moved, but the inches are falling off and for the first time, I'm starting to see some definition in my arms - i still have the flab, but they are starting to shape up.

Yeah, I say throw the scale ... you're not merely losing weight you're substituting undesirable fat weight for health muscle weight, the scale can't honestly tell you how good you're doing

Quote:
Keep in touch with your progress - the BFL tracker is a great tool too.

Thanks, I will

Davide

Last edited by Davideb : Wed, May-10-06 at 00:58.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 07:22
OSU Cowboy Fan

Plan: Lapband/low carb
Stats: 248/169/145 Female 5'6"
BF:42/29/25
Progress: 77%

Okay - question for you, do you do the post workout meal after weight training and cardio? I've been waiting 1 hour after cardio to maximize fat buring, but not after my weight training.

Good advice on the orange - I will add that to my post workout meal for sure. I've also heard instead of fruit, that a scoop of the powdered gatorade added in with the protein drink is good, not sure where I read that, but I did read it somewhere.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: high fat BFL
Stats: 170/170/170 Male 1.80
BF:
Progress:

I usually do the post workout meal after weight training because after all it's HIIT
An high intensity cardio burns as much glycogen other than fatty acids as weight lifting
It's true that if you wait an hour after cardio you burn more fat but you also increase the amount of circulating cortisol and this means unavoidable lost of lean body mass

So far my pre and post cardio workout meal is exactly like the pre and post weight workout meal because it's an high intensity cardio

It it were a low intensity cardio then I would consume just a protein source pre workout and just a protein source and low GI carbs post workout but again no fats before and after

The rationale for suggesting dextrose or maltodextrin instead of fruits is that fruits are made of fructose and fructose would follow a metabolic pathway that will replenish the liver glycogen not the muscular one
Actually this is a false issue because only 7 to 10% of sugar in fruit is fructose and oranges and bananas are especially short on fructose so fruits (juiced or blended with milk) are actually a good post workout carb that will replenish muscle glycogen

Gatorade too is a source of dextrose and maltodextrin
Even cocacola would be healthy after workout (except for colorants and other junk)

Also, I don't know if your breakfast coincides with your pre-workout meal but that's another great time to consume low GI carbs because at breakfast too cortisol levels are hight and your want to stop all that bad catabolization

Davide