Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 06:10
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%
Default Anyone do Pilates and does it work for you?

I wanted to find other people who do pilates, Judynyc suggested it might be a great way for me to improve core muscles, I have severe back pain and have suffered like that for the past few years since falling down the stairs and slipping a disk.

I got my first DVD for Pilates today and went to do it, I got about 20 minutes through the beginers phase before I had to stop - I need to invest in a good mat because my hard wood flooring is not the ideal place to try to do such excersises!!

Do excersise mats work well? If so, what kind do I need? The ones I have been looking at on Ebay all seem really thin, surely I need one which will be very padded as much of the routine is laying on the floor, and my back just can't take it.

Also, if you have been doing Pilates for a while now, what kind of results have you seen? Have you seen many advantages in body tone? Strength?

I want to give this my best shot, so any advice would be really helpful!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 11:58
From Flab to Fab!

bumping.......
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: Southbeach diet
Stats: 186/177/140 Female 60.5
BF:
Progress: 20%

I love the way I feel after doing pilates I have real poor posture and it always makes me feel taller I think it is easier for thinner people though some of that stuff is pretty funny I would hate to see myself doing it. I also have had neck surgery so sometimes it puts allot of strain on my neck so I have to back off a little. Which I have a hard time doing. Anyway yes you would realy see a difference with a mat I live so far from main stores to get one so I still have not gotten one but I have a soft carpet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 12:42

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 198/137/120 Female 5'3
BF:25.2
Progress: 78%

Traditional Pilates mats are rather thin so if you have back issues, I would suggest you invest in a more traditional workout mat - the kind that are well padded. Pilates can be hard on the back (certain exercises) so beware. The bottom line is if it hurts don't do it. That's not to say, don't challenge yourself though.

I love Pilates, do it three times a week (a mat class at Bally's and twice either at home or another studio). A month ago I took an Allegro class - it's sort of a cardio Pilates class - on a reformer. So awesome!!!!! Loved it. It's a little too far for me to drive to even once a weekend though. I'm thinking about it.

If you strengthen your core, then you will as a by product also strengthen your back as well. I don't have nearly as many sore back issues as I used prior to starting this practice.

Keep doing the routine, as you go on it will get easier. I promise!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 14:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/159/125 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default starting

I have the video in my truck..... which has become they're home for the past 5 months.... on the day i bought them. LOL... I'm walking out right now to get them and try them!... i need to get my core and every thing else together!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 15:10
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
Do excersise mats work well? If so, what kind do I need?
The one I use is just a yoga mat. It might be helpful to double them up for extra padding.

Quote:
Also, if you have been doing Pilates for a while now, what kind of results have you seen? Have you seen many advantages in body tone? Strength?
I've been doing pilates for a few years now and I've been impressed with how it's helped my back as far as pain and tightened and toned my bodies in ways that I wasn't able to achieve with weight training alone.

Quote:
I want to give this my best shot, so any advice would be really helpful!
The best advice I've got is to stick to it. When I first started with pilates, I couldn't make it through a work out and always felt that I was would never not be sore again. Don't push yourself to make it through a workout if it's too much. It takes some time to build up to it. Hang in there, it's worth it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba
The best advice I've got is to stick to it. When I first started with pilates, I couldn't make it through a work out and always felt that I was would never not be sore again. Don't push yourself to make it through a workout if it's too much. It takes some time to build up to it. Hang in there, it's worth it.

I second that emotion. The first time seemed so difficult to execute the moves and maintain the posture, etc. But after doing it three times a week, it becomes easier and harder. Pilates is one of those exercises that the more you know, the harder it becomes because you can challenge yourself more. I do the hour long Windsor one and I've come so far, but it took time. I'd also like to suggest if you have access to a nearby gym, to take a MAT pilates class to familiarise yourself with proper technique. It will make a substantial difference in your practice!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 11:39
From Flab to Fab!

Thanks guys for the advice, I did try it out but it was so hard on my back that I din't do it again. From what you are saying it takes time to get use to it and I should perservere!

I will get a mat and then give it another go
Thanks for the advice!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 11:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

definitely stick with it. The strength and balance you'll find are well worth the trouble. I don't do pilates as my cardio, but as strength training, it's the best. I used to alternate pilates with yoga, so I'd get the benefits of stretching and strength training everyday. They are fantastic motivators for us losers b/c the positions get easier, and we'll feel ourselves firming up as we go...the treadmill is so impersonal by comparison. Keep it up--as much as you can. It will get easier as you go.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 11:07

I agree with Dana, Pilates will not/does not count as cardio, but it is great for strength and stretching, building and using muscles in a different way. Strengthening your core will also assist you in doing other exercises and in just everyday life. The stronger your core is, the fewer issues you will have with pretty much anything else - esp. your back. Watch your back though, if you do anything that causes you pain (as in holy crap that hurts v. god this is hard) don't do it. A know people who gave up on Pilates because it can be hard on the back. Make adjustments and keep trying. Maybe a thicker mat will help too. On the Windsor version, she offers a safer back alternative. Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/159/125 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I am loving pilates! day four and it is graet!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 10:49

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%

I didn't like it - ashtanga yoga is more suited to me... I like the muscle stretching you get there more than what happened w/pilates - I leave yoga classes with a much better feeling all over than pilates classes.