Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 02:20

Plan: IdiotProofDiet IHD
Stats: 176/154/134 Female 64 inches
BF:40.2%/38.8%/37.8%
Progress: 52%

Thank you for all the information, I'm new and have decided to follow the 'older' Atkins and am waiting for it from my local library . I've been playing with my own form of LC since Monday and am thrilled with the weight loss all ready, but need the long term control so am determined to get cracking and do it properly!
Best wishes
S x
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 15:30

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 252/245/190 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default diet soda

My wife will be starting the induction phase soon. So she is going to wonder about diet coke. Is the sweetener listed on the can or bottle? and what sweetener is used from the fountain diet coke?
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-11, 08:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/198/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbuc
My wife will be starting the induction phase soon. So she is going to wonder about diet coke. Is the sweetener listed on the can or bottle? and what sweetener is used from the fountain diet coke?

If I was you're wife I would stay away from Diet Coke, but that's because for me diet soda's slow down my weight loss. The ingredients are on the label and Diet Coke is made with aspartame.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-11, 17:51

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 252/245/190 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks for your reply.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

This is a nice list to refer to. Thanks.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 14:13
Registered Member

Stats: 210/210/170 Male 175 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for This Wonderful List...

I relatively new to this forum but really appreciate the contribution of users.

It's really a very helpful resource...
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: personal blend
Stats: 224.3/211.7/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGibson
Here is the link for phase 1 of Atkins from their site. It looks like NANY Phase 1 is very very very very (did I say very) similar to DANDR Phase 1.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase...nthisPhase.aspx

If I'm not mistaken, DANDR had a limit of 2 cups of low-carb salad-type veggies, plus a small portion of some higher carb veggies if you hadn't had more than 2 cups of the low-carb stuff? So if someone wanted they could eat 1 cup of iceburg lettuce (0.2 carbs), 1 cup of romaine lettuce (0.4 carbs), 1/2 cup of cooked broccoli (1.6 carbs) and that's it for the veggies, get the rest of the carbs from cheese or salad dressing or such?

NANY specifies that one should get 12-15 g of the 20 g limit from vegetables. Unless I am mistaken, this could be significantly more vegetables to achieve this - maybe as many as 5 or 6 cups of veggies if lower-carb choices are made?

That seems like a significant difference to me.
Also it says 1-2 cups of caffineated coffee are allowed instead of no coffee
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 19:36

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

For induction DANDR is three cups salad veggies or 2 cups salad veggies plus one cup other acceptable veggies.

Don't know about NANY, but in DANDR the point is to get the MAJORITY of your 20 carbs from veggies. The three times I have done induction I only ever got to around 15 carbs and at LEAST 10 of those were from veggies. At all times you should be getting at least 50% of your carbs from veggies....not cheese or salad dressing or such.

The point is to be re-trained to eat veggies. If you choose to eat the lower carb veggies and want to eat more to make up your carb allowance it's not that big a deal. However, if you choose to eat the lower carb veggies so you can use up your carb allowance on other foods....well, that's not good or healthy. There are limits to the amount of carbs you should be getting from sources other than veggies.

Caffeine stalls some people, which would account for the difference with the coffee.

My best advice would be to choose which Atkins you want to use and simply follow it to the letter. HTH!!!!
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 05:07

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerlady
If I'm not mistaken, DANDR had a limit of 2 cups of low-carb salad-type veggies, plus a small portion of some higher carb veggies if you hadn't had more than 2 cups of the low-carb stuff? So if someone wanted they could eat 1 cup of iceburg lettuce (0.2 carbs), 1 cup of romaine lettuce (0.4 carbs), 1/2 cup of cooked broccoli (1.6 carbs) and that's it for the veggies, get the rest of the carbs from cheese or salad dressing
You're right this is how many people DO do induction but they are forgetting that the rule is that they should be getting MOST of their up to 20 net carbs from those three cups!
So in your scenario they should be eating less than one net carb of non-veg foods!
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: personal blend
Stats: 224.3/211.7/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
You're right this is how many people DO do induction but they are forgetting that the rule is that they should be getting MOST of their up to 20 net carbs from those three cups!
So in your scenario they should be eating less than one net carb of non-veg foods!

I have to say this is one point where NANY (based on the website, haven't read it yet) makes more sense to me than DANDR. It would be very hard for me to get 15 net carbs of veggies from 3 cups of a lot of my favorite salad veggies. I can see where if someone had very different veg. preferences it would be easier.

15 g of net carbs in 6 cups, now that I can handle!

To Freckles (cute name) - thanks for your post - as I see it being mostly veg (eat some fish) I pretty much have to follow NANY, which (on website) advises veg. to start at 30 g carb with dairy except milk and nuts included.
I don't think I could get enough vegetables on DANDR as most veg. protein sources have carbs. Doing the calculations on recipes I like indicate that I would be getting about 15-20 g of carbs from my protein dishes, which do often include a lot of veg. but I wouldn't be happy without eating salad or cucumber sticks.

Elsewhere I found an article from Dr Atkins saying that 32 g of carbs is the maximum for most people to enter ketosis so it should be OK. I'm forming the impression that what most people don't like about NANY (at least as presented on the Atkins website) is the suggestion of eating bars and shakes instead of "real food", is that correct? I don't want to eat bars and shakes, except to have a few around for something to eat in a "crisis" where I don't have time to prepare anything better.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-11, 09:18

Stats: 114.5/114.5/105.5 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

hey sorry if i've missed reading about this anywhere in the thread, but is coke zero acceptable?
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 20:50

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

What about liquid stevia for a sweetner?...anybody know?...thx in advance
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 10:31

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal
I have been on Induction for over a month now and cannot find the answer to this question, even in the book.

Why no milk? Is it the lactose? Or what?

Marci

Milk has sugar read all labels
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 10:32

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiramok
hey sorry if i've missed reading about this anywhere in the thread, but is coke zero acceptable?

been rereading atkins he said diet cola is accpetable but i wouldnt go over board
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-11, 06:41
Registered Member

Stats: 265/240/212 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 47%

Since a few people have asked about diet drinks...

From what I've read, aspartame can stall you. Splenda, generic name sucralose, is the favored sweetener.

Diet drinks are okay. You may want to avoid aspartame for induction to give yourself the best chance of success or just avoid it if you don't see results during induction.

Don't forget about the caffeine in these drinks. Make sure you are drinking plenty of plain pure water.

Diet Rite Zero is made with splenda and is pretty dang tasty.