Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 244/242/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 2%
Question anyone doing "Wheat Belly"?

Just ordered this book by Dr. Wm Davis from Amazon-just wondered if anyone else has read it and is following this plan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 15:45

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I do avoid wheat as well as all the other grains like rice, corn, sugar, etc. I also avoid legumes, with the exception of some occasional Mexican food.

Although I still need to read Wheat Belly, I am aware that he says some rice is okay. Actually, all grains have at least one or two kinds of anti-nutrients in them.

If you go beyond what Doctor Davis recommends and just avoid all grains, you won't have cravings for any of those foods. You will feel better and your body will be able to better absorb vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients more readily if the anti-nutrients aren't present.

Best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 22:11

Plan: Whole 30 / IF
Stats: 195/175/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I'm with Brinethery, the ideal would be to go beyond Dr. Davis' recommendations and cut out all grains, dairy and legumes.

However, the book is very good. It's full of great info and very convincing. The only wheat I've eaten since reading the book in October has been a small cinnamon roll and 1/2 a cookie on Christmas day. I think the chapter on wheat's effect on bones and joints is particularly interesting. Currently, I'm re-reading Robb Wolf's book but reading Wheat Belly again is next on my list. Good info motivates me and keeps my mind from buying into the conventional "wisdom" that grains are healthy, so it's okay to have a sandwich.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 21:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

While he considers wheat the worst offender, he advocates no grain/low carb. It's primarily a book explaining why grains are so bad for us.

Its greatest use is as motivation. After hearing what wheat does to our health, cheating is not a simple choice.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 21:42

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Its greatest use is as motivation. After hearing what wheat does to our health, cheating is not a simple choice.

Simply quoting because this is a great statement :-)

Werebear, have you seen this yet? I have a feeling that wheat was really affecting this poor lady:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/can-you-c...ating-real-food

Last edited by Brinethery : Sun, Jan-01-12 at 21:50.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 23:01

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergal
Just ordered this book by Dr. Wm Davis from Amazon-just wondered if anyone else has read it and is following this plan?

Dr. Davis was really preaching to the choir with me since thru a lot of experimentation I have learned that in addition to my inherited problem with gluten, I don't do well with ANY of the grains, nor do I like to eat legumes, and I have to limit my dairy severely. I'm not sure about giving up dairy entirely because I love my daily cappuccino too much, but other than a few tablespoons in my coffee, that's pretty much it for dairy.

I sometimes feel like I've read everything on the gluten front, but Dr. Davis' book had some really interesting info about the way wheat itself has changed, and that was eye opening and a tremendously good argument for why no one should eat wheat. If this book doesn't convince you avoid wheat, I guess nothing will!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 13:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/251/235 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've been wheat and grain free for two weeks now since starting Atkins.

I find I'm much more alert, my mood is better and I feel good.

Still no real weigh loss yet, just going up and down in a 5 lb zone (I'm 305 on ave, so not much in percentage anyways.

What's great is that the hunger cravings are totally gone, and my blood sugars (I'm an Type 1 diabetic, on insulin) have never been better. Worth doing if just for that.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 18:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
Werebear, have you seen this yet? I have a feeling that wheat was really affecting this poor lady:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/can-you-c...ating-real-food

Yes I had , and what an incredible story. I do think wheat might have been a factor. Once you start reading about wheat's toxic effects inthe nervous system, you can't look at disease and aging the same way you used to.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 21:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

i just put a hold on this book at the library. excited to read it!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 14:40

Plan: atkins inductin diet wine
Stats: 250/220/190 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'll have to see if the library has it. I will say, I splurged on some wheat crackers over the Holiday & my arthritis flared up badly, so I am thinking, it is a trigger ( for me)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 16:18

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I just read it, and it finally answered something that my neurologist couldn't.

I have been having the cerebellar ataxia and the numbness in my hands and feet. Both would come;and go, but all my dr's agreed it was something auto immune but no idea how to treat it.

DH and I moved into an apartment because I was falling and getting worse. Then last summer I read Gary Tuabes book and retried the low carb diet to deal with my auto immune issues.

Well I got a lot better on the low carb diet. Then in November dh and I went on a cruise and I allowed myself some limited carbs in the form of bread. It's taken me almost 8 weeks of fairly clean low carb, zero grains or legumes but I'm feeling better again.

Then reading the book he lists the types of auto immune stuff I've been struggling with plus diseases that run in my family, and then he mentioned that if you get the cerebellar ataxia you might not have a positive gluten test. And that the tests are wrong more often than right. I've had 3 negative tests for celiac (the gluten intolerance) but I have a lot of the symptoms.

In the last week, dh and I put 2 and 2 together, and one of the reasons I think the low carbing has helped me so much is that I'm probably celiac.

Dr Davis doesn't really have a particular diet in the book, he just explains system by system what can go wrong in susceptible people and that due to modern wheat varieties being so different than even 20 to 50 years back, we are seeing a flood tide of celiac problems, and not all of them come attached to diarrhea.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 23:11

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by napattack
I just read it, and it finally answered something that my neurologist couldn't.

I have been having the cerebellar ataxia and the numbness in my hands and feet. Both would come;and go, but all my dr's agreed it was something auto immune but no idea how to treat it.

DH and I moved into an apartment because I was falling and getting worse. Then last summer I read Gary Tuabes book and retried the low carb diet to deal with my auto immune issues.

Well I got a lot better on the low carb diet. Then in November dh and I went on a cruise and I allowed myself some limited carbs in the form of bread. It's taken me almost 8 weeks of fairly clean low carb, zero grains or legumes but I'm feeling better again.

Then reading the book he lists the types of auto immune stuff I've been struggling with plus diseases that run in my family, and then he mentioned that if you get the cerebellar ataxia you might not have a positive gluten test. And that the tests are wrong more often than right. I've had 3 negative tests for celiac (the gluten intolerance) but I have a lot of the symptoms.

In the last week, dh and I put 2 and 2 together, and one of the reasons I think the low carbing has helped me so much is that I'm probably celiac.

Dr Davis doesn't really have a particular diet in the book, he just explains system by system what can go wrong in susceptible people and that due to modern wheat varieties being so different than even 20 to 50 years back, we are seeing a flood tide of celiac problems, and not all of them come attached to diarrhea.

wow, so glad you have figured things out for your self, despite dr.s being unable to..
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Unfortunately, there are true Celiacs....and those intolerant to gluten! It's not too hard to diagnose celiac, but a lot of people won't recognize gluten intolerance. If your biopsy (or labs) don't show celiac....then you must be OK! Tell that to my belly after I eat wheat and blow up like I'm 9 months pregnant....and suffer for hours.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 09:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by napattack

There's plenty of folks on the gluten free boards I frequent with ataxia issues. It doesn't mean they're celiacs, but they definitely are intolerant of gluten, it just attacks their brain instead of intestines or other places.

Celiac disease is pretty specific and limited, but gluten intolerance can cover a whole lot of areas like brains, joins, autoimmune, and so on. Which isn't to say that being "gluten intolerant" one can be more lackadaisical about eating it -- sometimes it is worse than celiac disease.

Google for "The Gluten File". Tons of stuff in there about gluten and the brain. Dr. Hadjivasilou is someone doing lots of research on it.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 15:50

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

thanks people, great pointers. I feel happier knowing why it's happened. It gives me some control.