Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/142/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Metformin and Atkins

Hello everyone.

I have PCOS and am taking 750mg a day of Metformin XL to control my symptoms. I experience none of the dreaded gastro-intestinal side-effects, but it does make me hypoglycemic (if I don't eat every 3-4 hours, I start to feel shaky, light-headed and panicky).

Will starting a low-carb lifestyle only make these side-effects worse? I'm afraid that I will practically pass out if I drastically cut my carbs while taking Metformin. I'm hoping that I can eventually phase the drugs out if I can manage my PCOS through diet alone. I hate feeling shaky and light-headed all the time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 22:27

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

My dr never gave me the Met so I can't say what would happen, but I think it would be a good idea to keep in close contact with your dr make sure reducing any meds goes through them so they can keep accurate tabs on you!

Low-Carbing really has helped me with my periods, though. Wish I had known about all this years ago, probably wouldn't have had many of the problems I did.

Best of Luck, Kiddo! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/mod
Stats: 248.8/232/160 Female 68inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Met in itself made me feel yucky. I took to help with infertility issues. Anyways, thanks to the yucky feeling I had, I quit taking it.

If you think about what Met does, "Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin. These actions lower the level of sugar in the blood. ", then I think if you embark on a diet such as this, you will need extremely close monitoring, because you should reach a point, that you will not need met to control things.

You will naturally be lowering the levels of sugar in your blood.

I assume you are taking Met to help with the symptoms of PCOS, or infertility issues?

Is the Dr. that prescribed it an Endo that approves of or suggested a low carb diet?

When I am on Atkins, most all of my symptoms disappear and I am able to conceive. I have a sister that has 4 kids, all of which were conceived while doing Atkins.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/275/260 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm on Atkins and I take metformin-- I do find I need to eat every 4hrs or so, or I get lightheaded.

On the upside--- I find that lowcarbing lessens the gastro side effects of the metformin. I have no idea why, just my personal experience.

#5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 09:06

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

I've been on met for quite a long time. LC controls my blood sugar just fine but not the pcos. When I go off the met I lose hair and periods again.

I had problems with low blood sugar the first few months but after that it was no problem what so ever. I also do not get gastro problems from met. Since lc controls my blood sugar well the dr and I kept dropping the met dose to find the lowest dose that my hair didn't shed and periods were regular. It ended up bing 500 mg 2 x a day.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 09:21

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I have had nothing but positive results with metformin in terms of lowering my blood sugar. However, it has not helped in the weight department as I have not lost any weight since starting it. Jill
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 11:35

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I don't lose or maintain my weight unless I low carb and take metformin. I came off metformin for six weeks recently and gained 8lbs even though I was on 30 carbs and exercising.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 425/335/200 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 40%

it seems like you all are having mixed results with the meformin - for me when i take met and do low carb i feel sick and shaky and my bg's go low ( 60-70 ) but since i quit taking it (with my doctors permission) i feel better and i'm still losing weight - when i stopped doing both it was a disaster. i have worked hard to educate myself on the whole pcos/type 2 diabetes situation, and to me it seems that if u feel good on met with lcing - stick to it. lowering insulin immunity can only be a good thing.

also just a note about the taking the met at night - it is exactly as stated before - it helps to counter the liver's evil sugar making processes that it does at night. (this is why you can wake up with a higher bg than u went to sleep with- evil i tell ya)

jem
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

from http://www.clinicalanswers.nhs.uk/i...?question=4979:

Quote:
“Metformin is an antihyperglycemic agent which improves glucose tolerance in patients with type 2 diabetes, lowering both basal and postprandial plasma glucose. Its pharmacologic mechanisms of action are different from other classes of oral antihyperglycemic agents. Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization. Unlike sulfonylureas, metformin does not produce hypoglycemia in either patients with type 2 diabetes or normal subjects (except in special circumstances, see PRECAUTIONS) and does not cause hyperinsulinemia. With metformin therapy, insulin secretion remains unchanged while fasting insulin levels and day-long plasma insulin response may actually decrease.”

Well, that explains the hypoglycemic episodes.

It also says, to me, your liver will produce less glucose out of glycogen (I wouldn't want to mess with that unless the liver is known to be OVERproducing glucose, critical parts of the body do require small amounts of glucose to function).

If you're lowcarbing, well, you've already reduced the amount of carbs being absorbed by the GI tract, but you MIGHT (with metformin) be increasing the efficiency of whatever carbs you ARE ingesting. Not so great, counterproductive to the point of LC.

Finally, extra insulin secretion shouldn't be a result of metformin, in and of itself...

It's really designed for people NOT on an LC diet, perhaps on a "normal" ADA diet...as their policy directs, "balanced" including way too many carbs.

#10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 15:44

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

That sounds great in theory Islandgirl. And yes many people don't need low carbing and metformin. However those of us with severe insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia have to either go the zero carb route (as in meat and water only) or low carb and metformin.

In June I thought after so many years low carbing that my body would be healed and I could go off my metformin. I did and I GAINED 8lbs while eating induction level carbs.

So those women with PCOS who can do low carb only are lucky. However not everyone can do this.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 16:13

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 906%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
That sounds great in theory Islandgirl. And yes many people don't need low carbing and metformin. However those of us with severe insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia have to either go the zero carb route (as in meat and water only) or low carb and metformin.

In June I thought after so many years low carbing that my body would be healed and I could go off my metformin. I did and I GAINED 8lbs while eating induction level carbs.

So those women with PCOS who can do low carb only are lucky. However not everyone can do this.

I completely agree Scarlet. I too have IR that has brought on PCOS. My doctor recommends LC and exercise along with 1000mg of Metformin daily and the scale began moving again, my hair is thicker again and I feel great. When I miss a dose I definitely feel it...all the hypoglecemic symptoms of light-headedness, weakness, sweats, etc. It's awful.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 18:37

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless
I completely agree Scarlet. I too have IR that has brought on PCOS. My doctor recommends LC and exercise along with 1000mg of Metformin daily and the scale began moving again, my hair is thicker again and I feel great. When I miss a dose I definitely feel it...all the hypoglecemic symptoms of light-headedness, weakness, sweats, etc. It's awful.

Make my vote with Scarlet as well.
Metformin really shouldn't cause a low blood sugar at all, that is why it is ideal.

What I'd like to know is whether the OP is actually checking their blood sugar and how low it is actually going?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-08, 16:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default My experience

I have found that when I am doing Atkins my periods regulate and so does my blood sugar. I suspect that you could rapidly cut back on the meds. I would ask the doc if you could simply stop. I am diabetic and do not take any meds for it. I have read and find through experience that excercise works a lot like Metformin. Sometimes I do as little as 20 minutes a day, but the muscles seem to uptake glucose better and are sensitive to the small bit of insulin I still make.

I haven't heard it related explicitly but I think it is in the same family of blood sugar/insulin related issues as diabetes.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-08, 19:51

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Wow are we all different. I've been a low carber for 8 years, exercise a lot and still need the darn old met. However for me I do loose better oddly it seems without it but I'm keeping it for the blood sugar control and pcos (I like not shedding like a dog).
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default My experience

Ive been on metformin for about a month now and doing moderately low carb and cheating and eating carby snacks more often than I should. I have lost about 4 lbs even cheating and not exercising at all. Im not diabetic but i was diagnosed insulin resistant. I havent had my period naturally in about 5 years and Im only 20 years old. I feel so great when I do low carb. When I do snack on carby stuff, I instantly feel like crap, which lets me know that low carb is the way to go. Also, I know I wouldnt lose weight without the metformin. I have a 6 month stall at 231lbs and have dropped 4 pounds after starting metformin. Contrary to some of the other people on this board, for the first time in my life I actually DONT feel hungry. Metformin and low carbing will hopefully be my ticket to success.