Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 12:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Body fat %

I have been low carbing for almost 4 months and working with a personal trainer twice a week with daily cardio workouts on my own for 1 month.

We did my body fat percentage when I started with the trainer, I started at 36.5% and am now at 33% 1 month later. Of course my paid trainer said how great that was and woo hoo we are making progress.

Realistically what kind of progress is that? Is there a table or something that would allow me to gage more effectively?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 08:49

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

Goingfor60,

I can not tell you exactly some sort of scale where you should be after a month, but ANY drop in body fat % is GREAT!!! I think to drop a 2.5% in a month is EXCELLENT! Body fat % is all relative depending on your sex, height, etc. However, a drop like that sounds GREAT to me! Keep up the good work!!!!

Linda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 04:57

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default congratulations

As fern said, any drop in bodyfat is cause for celebration.

Think of it this way, if you drop 3.5% bodyfat every 4 months, you will totally rechange your body composition from 33% to 22.5% which is a HUGE drop.

I find it best to stay motivated to the short term goals of getting through each workout and focusing on how it feels after each workout. When I stall (it will happen, trust me) I focus on the long term health benefits that I am achieving by exercising every day.

The rest will take care of itself. Remember, fitness is a lifetstyle, not a fad.

Good luck with your efforts ... and hiring a personal trainer is one of the best moves anyone can make. Accountability, variety, and motivation are the biggest hurdles people face in sticking to an exercise program and a good trainer can make overcoming these obstacles much much easier.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 06:30

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Re: congratulations

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
[Good luck with your efforts ... and hiring a personal trainer is one of the best moves anyone can make. Accountability, variety, and motivation are the biggest hurdles people face in sticking to an exercise program and a good trainer can make overcoming these obstacles much much easier. [/B]

Spoken like a true trainer!!!!! You know I had to bust on you for that TRAINERDan!

Honestly though, goingfor60, I do agree with Dan-- hiring a good trainer is a great investment! I have seen some trainers who are just HORRIBLE! At the gym I used to work out at, there was this one trainer who just kind of dictated to his clients, stood next to them looking bored and paying no attention to what they were doing, and then stormed off to the next machine leaving his clients running to catch up! On the other hand, I have seen some very good trainers who you can honestly tell that they care about their clients (trainerdan falls in to this category of course!). So, now that I have gone off on a tangent..... good luck to you again and keep up the good work!!!