Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 18:26

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question wondering about generic Cytomel

I got my script today and noticed they had filled it with a generic - liothronine (sp?) I am wondering if I should be concerned.

Since adding the cytomel along with the synthroid, I have noticed some differences in the way I was feeling. Not huge, but my hair did quit falling out and I found I was actually able to lose weight once again. Most of the rashes have cleared up (had it on my chest, neck, back, arms for many months!) Of course, my weight could stabilize once again as it did before at 143 and then I'd really be right back where I started 6 months ago in terms of the weight loss. I know some will say for me to accept this as a new setpoint, since we are really only talking about 10 pounds, but I'm not giving up just yet....(too hard headed!)

However, even on the cytomel, my hands and feet are still frozen, I have no sex drive, and my skin and eyes are still very dry. I feel like only part of my symptoms have been resolved because my endo says that even though I have tested postivie for the Hashi's antibodies and have a goiter (2 x 3.1 cm) she says that my TSH is still normal, and all of my other tests are within normal, so she doesn't want to overmedicate me.

OK.....I guess that's more than the one question I started out with so I'll stop and hope I get some answers. I go back to the endo March 2nd. Takes me a while to prepare and I really appreciate all of your responses and as well as the wonderful guidance and support!!! Without you, I wouldn't be getting treated at all right now, so I actually feel lucky this didn't go on for years and years unnoticed!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
I got my script today and noticed they had filled it with a generic - liothronine (sp?) I am wondering if I should be concerned.

No. You should be very concerned. Every report on the generic is that it is a disaster. I refused to take it, and I especially refused to pay the price for the brand name even with insurance.

I got 300 tabs of 25 mg brand name for $59 -- including delivery -- from an out of country pharmacy, no prescription required.

If you join the Yahoo Group Leptin Resistance (remember to say you're from here, and add your real name when you apply) -- you'll see the website for it listed on the group. The link to get to the group is in the Leptin Resistance thread in General Carb.

Quote:
Since adding the cytomel along with the synthroid

That's another problem right there. Sounds like you may well be on the wrong medications. Again, I've written about this extensively in the Thyroid and the Cholesterol forums.

Quote:
my TSH is still normal, and all of my other tests are within normal, so...

So she is clearly completely ignorant, since she doesn't appear to even know that depressed TSH to 'normal' is an actual symptom of an RT3 problem.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 19:51

BF:

This is what I was thinking after reading what you have written. I do have a goiter, and I believe the Synthroid is really for that. However, I like this doctor more than the one I had before and ironically the one I had before is a good friend of my husbands. I would argue with him b/c of things I learned here, and it made for a negative doctor/patient relationship that carried over into our friendship. For my area, I am out of endocrinologists now.

I had never heard of reverse RT3 until I read about your experience. I don't even know how to bring it up. That's why I want a list of tests to ask for....one I can print that isn't pages and pages. Just a very clear and concise kind of "this is what I want from you to help myself" kind of thing that doesn't insult her intelligence. That's what I don't know how to do....but I would pass a note......(LOL - what a wussie, huh?) I will also show the list to my GP and get her to order any tests the endo says are not necessary.

Why do I feel like such a B asking for help? Damn!

Last edited by aeroangie : Mon, Jan-11-10 at 21:35.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 19:59

BF:

One more thing awriter!

She keeps trying to push me to have a biopsy, have a biopsy. I am like "WHY?" I am positive for Hashimoto's....my brother is also......he had a biopsy and his goiter swelled up larger AND the tests came back TWICE inconclusive. I am just not real excited about the needle to the neck when I weighh the risks versus the benefits. If I didn't have Hashi's...then yeah....but since we know what it is, then what is the point???
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 22:15

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You should look in to vitamin D deficiency.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitamin-d-quotes.shtml

There is a plethora of info in the vitamin D thread here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=396439
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 23:28

BF:

Thanks Awriter! Thanks also Black57 (though haven't read yet!)

Lisa --- Just read your post at:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?
t=405430&page=1&pp=15

Very informative, but also scary. There are 5 of us in my family. Three of five have autoimmune diseases, and my sister is now positive for the antibodies. Both parents are adult onset type 2's, though neither are more than 15 pounds overweight (both are 83.) Worst of all, my mother has the Primary Billiary Cirrhosis - which is a rare autoimmune liver disease. My siblings and I are afraid of what the future holds for us. After reading a lot of your research (not just that post but several others) I can see the extra pounds I have gained, the Hashimoto's, and other things could really just be "symptoms."

Do you think there is any correlation between the development of autoimmune disorders with leptin resistance? Since they don't know what causes autoimmune conditions, I'd love to hear your thoughts. It's funny you mentioned in one post that you thought specifically about the bile ducts being paramount to good health. I'd love to hear that my mother could actually have a chance to live longer.

She has had this condition for over 14 years now and it has affected her heart (due to the constant high blood pressure and high triglycerides that drugs don't seem to control things at all.) She just had two stents put in - one for a 90% blockage and another for a 95% blockage. I'd report her numbers on here, if she'd let me, but I am sure it would scare the hell out of me (which is why she wouldn't let me - doesn't want me stressed!!!)

Mom is a poster child for GCBC in that she has never has a weight problem but has never exercised, but also she has never dieted and has no clue about either. She was born the way she was, and I am realize I am lucky now that I never have had a significant weight problem. But I feel I very may well be developing one (my sister is overweight!) if things keep moving in this direction. I, like everyone else that reads here, wants to figure out how to stop it. Interestingly, my brother has Hashi's and type 2 diabetes, but has become BONE THIN!!! WTF??? Like a reverse reverse T3? They have confirmed he is hypo. I can't figure this one out at all! He looks unwell too. He is 54.

So, will the endo listen, or will they just be worried about the goiter and how to shrink it? Is the goiter a "side effect" from the RT3 or leptin resistance?

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot with so many questions. I am so tired of being cold. I am going to get a heating pad now to put on my feet or else I'll have to submerse myself in hot water. I have socks on under a goose down comforter. This is bullshit too! I can be sweating during a workout and my feet are cold. It's time for me to do something about this myself. I would if not for the goiter....believe me.

Last edited by aeroangie : Mon, Jan-11-10 at 23:41.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 23:38

BF:

Thanks again Black....I spend a lot of time in the sun and have my whole entire life. Vit D defiency would be extremely hard for me to fathom, as I am one of these people that stays outside on the beach as much as is humanly possible (I live at the beach so that helps too! LOL!) I also travel to warm climates for winter vacations 2 or more weeks out of every year. So if D deficiency comes from lack of sunlight, this ain't me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 10:17
Registered Member

Quote:
Lisa --- Just read your post at:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=405430&page=1&pp=15

Very informative, but also scary.

Why scary?

Quote:
my mother has the Primary Billiary Cirrhosis - which is a rare autoimmune liver disease. My siblings and I are afraid of what the future holds for us.

Is this disease genetic? If not, that's good news for you and your siblings. If so, you can have a genetic test done that will show each of you if you carry the gene. Better to know one way or the other than to live in fear, yes?

[quoteDo you think there is any correlation between the development of autoimmune disorders with leptin resistance?[/quote]
I haven't seen anything like that mentioned in my research, but that obviously isn't definitive. Since this is of specific importance to you, I suggest that you start to research this yourself. Everything I've learned began with a search on the net; if I can do it, so can you!

Quote:
I am realize I am lucky now that I never have had a significant weight problem. But I feel I very may well be developing one (my sister is overweight!) if things keep moving in this direction.

You need blood tests and a diagnosis before you can know anything about this.

Quote:
will the endo listen, or will they just be worried about the goiter and how to shrink it? Is the goiter a "side effect" from the RT3 or leptin resistance?

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to either question, though the second seems very unlikely. Again -- do the research and do the tests. And if a doctor says you NEED a biopsy -- GET ONE! Take a friend to hold your hand if necessary, but do not just ignore this very crucial medical advice out of fear.

Hang in there -- knowledge is power.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 11:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, get the biopsy. They're just ruling out cancer. And most thyroid cancers are very treatable if caught early.

Also, goiter can be caused by iodine deficiency. You might want to talk to your doctor about an iodine loading test. I believe it's done with urine.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 11:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Thanks again Black....I spend a lot of time in the sun and have my whole entire life. Vit D defiency would be extremely hard for me to fathom, as I am one of these people that stays outside on the beach as much as is humanly possible (I live at the beach so that helps too! LOL!) I also travel to warm climates for winter vacations 2 or more weeks out of every year. So if D deficiency comes from lack of sunlight, this ain't me.

You might want to read this:
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...in-d-right.html
Quote:
"I'm going to Florida. I'll stop my vitamin D because I'm going to lay in the sun."
Wrong. 90% of adults over 40 years old have lost the majority of their ability to activate vitamin D in the skin. A typical response might be an increase in blood level from 25 to 35 ng/ml--a 10 ng increase with a dark brown tan.

There is an occasional person who, with sun exposure, increases blood levels substantially. This can occur in both fair-skinned and dark-skinned people, though I've never seen it happen in an African-American person. The occasional person who maintains the ability to convert vitamin D with sun exposure, or young people, should seasonally adjust their vitamin D dose, e.g., 6000 units winter, 3000 units summer, or some other regimen that maintains desirable blood levels. You can see that monitoring blood levels (we check levels every 6 months for the first 2 years) is crucial: You cannot know what your vitamin D needs are unless you assess 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels.

Might be a good idea to at least check your D3 status.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 12:25

BF:

It's only a one in one thousand chance it is cancer. I am not afraid of that. I am afraid of the stuff my Mom has possibly being genetic. I am afraid that since 3 of 5 family members are type 2, and are also positive for autoimmune antibodies that I will develop these in addition to the other things I already have that are autoimmune (dipsogenic diabetes and Hashi's.) They "say" these aren't necessarily genetic. Then I guess it really could be something we were all exposed to. Either way, I am trying to halt the progression of diseases. I am hoping my brother can get well again since he is still relatively young. We have almost given up hope for my Mom being well again. It all has seemed to be a "trickle down" kind of effect that went on over a period of years. Was it something internal or external that has cause this and what can I do? Science doesn't yet have the answers and I don't know how to research like Awriter....so I am somewhat dependant on the advice I get here and from medical experts.

Will read more on the vit. D stuff though. Can't hurt!!!

THANKS ALL!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 21:24

BF:

I guess it's genetic.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/151640.php

This is why I hate poking around on here sometimes. I wish there was something I could do. Feel helpless.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 23:30
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess it's genetic. I wish there was something I could do.

There is! That study was good, not bad news. It said:

"Researchers discovered that variants of two genes, interleukin 12A (IL12A) and interleukin 12RB2 (IL12RB2), were strongly associated with primary biliary cirrhosis. These two genes constitute a pathway of the immune system."

The identity of the genes is crystal clear. Genetic tests are no longer outrageously expensive. Order one this week, and you'll know in a few weeks if you have that variant or not. If not -- you will NEVER get the disease -- and you never have to think about it again. Even if you do, you might only have one variant, which means a slim chance you'll get the disease. And even if you do have both, now that it's been identified new therapies will be developed to treat it. The doctor in the article said this finding is the "beginning of the end" for this disease.

I urge you not to sit paralyzed in fear, but to take some measure of control of your life and have your genes tested for the variant!

Sending big hugs your way...

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 12:18

BF:

Lisa - here is the response I got back from a lab on this. I copied and pasted the research (above) and told them we'd like to have a test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: aeroangie~aol.com
Sent: 1/13/2010 10:14:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: [Suggest a Test] Primary Biliary Cirhosis

You are referring to a recent association study that shows that
individuals with certain sequence variants in these genes have a
slightly higher risk for developing primary biliary cirrhosis. Since
your mother has this disorder, it can be assumed a priori that you
and your siblings have a somewhat greater risk for developing this
disorder since there seems to be a genetic component to this disorder.
Therefore, the information from the paper is not giving you much more
information. Association studies usually identify a relative risk for
a disorder without identifying the specific causes of a disorder. For
instance, your gene sequence for these genes might increase your
relative risk but the presence of other sequence variants in other
genes might reduce your relative risk. Since this type of genetic
studies do not show a direct cause and effect, interpretation of
findings is challenging and hence our laboratory does not engage in
such studies. Sorry that we cannot help you further. However, I would
strongly suggest that you consult with a genetic counselor or
geneticist in your area. They will be able to provide you with much
more specific information based on your family history and available
information.
You can find a genetics clinic here at the "Genetic Clinic Directory"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/G...ic?db=genetests
With best wishes,

Gabriele
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 15:18
Registered Member

Quote:
I would strongly suggest that you consult with a genetic counselor or geneticist in your area. They will be able to provide you with much
more specific information based on your family history and available
information.
You can find a genetics clinic here at the "Genetic Clinic Directory"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/G...ic?db=genetests

Then this is your next step. A geneticist or genetic counselor would provide you and your siblings (who could all chip in for the consultation) with a wealth of useful information. And if there is any actual test that will show each of you what you want to know, he or she will know that that is and where to get it.

I'm so glad you've decided to pursue this!

Lisa