Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 17:30

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Here is a way to get rid of dark patches for good!

Found this on the internet: http://www.clinicalaserdepiel.com.c...pigmentadas.htm (don't worry it is in English)

I'm sure other places exist like this in the States and the UK and possibly elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-07, 11:18

Plan: not sure
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default sorry to reactivate old topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy517
Yes, it has helped my armpits. I'm kind of embarrassed about this but it has helped me under my breasts too. Although I have noticed ever since I started taking them, I am always really thirsty. I feel like I have cotton mouth all the time, which is actually pretty good because I drink A LOT more water now.

so how long did it take for you to notice changes? if i don't have to get a prescription for this problem it'd be fab!
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 21:17

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

When I was a teenager, I first developed this. My mother used to hold me down, scrub me with a washcloth and loofah until my neck was bright red (... or more), and then use astringent to "get what we missed with the washcloth" - as if! Oh, that stung.

Fast foward ten years. My youngest sister gets it. The doctor tells my mother "Hey, it's a medical condition." She called me up to tell me and says I should get this looked into. I told her that I've been saying that for years. "Oh..."

Still, I can't look in a mirror without seeing it. I don't wear white shirts because all I see is my neck looking dirty and unwashed. Sometimes, my husband has to literally pull the loofah out of my hands. "Misa, honey, you're making yourself bleed." (He handles my neuroses very well.) I have it REALLY bad under my arms. Have since puberty. People used to tell me I should wash under my arms. I DO - I scrub and scrub and scrub and it makes no difference.

It can really hurt a gal's self-image.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 05:25

Plan: 158548
Stats: 121/125/145 Female 154
BF:
Progress:

Misa,
Take it easy. I know how u feel like because the same happens to me but hey, do not get obsessed about it.

I'm sure you can conceal your marks with make-up. Have you tried doing that?
I've tried using self-sunbathing creams so as to hide a little bit the contrast between the white skin of my body and the patches around my neck. I use the cream in my cheast and arms and believe me it helps me a lot, specially in summer when i have to wear t-shirts with low-cut neck.

Remember this is just a aesthetic issue. And remember many people love just the way you are, with or without those patches.
best,
Debbie
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 05:55

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Debbie, I've not tried using make-up on it, I'm afraid it would get all over my clothing.

I usually just wear my hair down or try to ignore how I feel about it... the self-tanner would look really weird on me, I think: most redheads look weird with a tan.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 08:19

Plan: not sure
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default fish oil pills

I tried them out and they actually do work. I think. The difference is noticeable but the darkness is still there, but I suspect its because I have been nowhere near eating right or exercising. So I feel semi-confident that if I keep taking the fish oil pills and start eating better and exercising it will heal even better, i hope!
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 04:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/220/185 Male 183 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Dont know if this is much help... but this isnt relegated just to women. A suprising number of men and boys have this same problem (myself included). I was always very light-skinned as a kid and so when people saw my "dark ring" around the neck everyone assumed it was dirty and not clean. Getting haircuts was surprisingly embarassing because the barber would loudly proclaim i needed to wash my neck. Worst day was when my mom used this rough scrubber on my neck and actually made it bleed a bit. My fingers had it too near the cuticle regions. It only got worse as the weight came on.

My doctor told me it is because of high insulin levels or obesity. Although you can be totally healthy and show it as well. Also, not everyone with AN or insulin resistance will get diabetes. We make just enough to resist it but are surprisingly close to diabetes. At age 19 it was enough and thats when i went on the atkins diet. Low carb, no sugar or starch and within 10 pounds i noticed a change. It was lighter everywhere. Just stick with it and you'll see the changes and never let anyone tell you arent clean again.

Although there are creams or topical ointments that do help, please note most are temporary. They only work as long as you use them and can get expensive to maintain. The best way to get rid of this longterm is get your diet and slight exercise in order. Places where i have had my AN is neck, cuticles, folds near stomach, inside elbows, inside thighs, underarms. I personally felt that the underarms were worse because whenever i played basketball, went to gym in a muscle shirt, people would notice the dark underarms...
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 09:46

Plan: yeh
Stats: 220/210/165 Male 52
BF:
Progress:

I've had AN for years now and every time it has began clearing up it was due to my weight loss. I started South Beach a couple years ago and had the best results from that weight loss. AN cleared up on my neck, chest and forearms. I kind of got off the diet and began eating crap again and it slowly came back. It's a slow process in getting rid of the dark patches but controlling your carbs and sugar intake and watching your portions seem to work best. I still have a lot of work to do but at least I know it's possible to clear this up.

Good Luck
  #129   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-08, 20:21

Plan: dietician where i work at
Stats: 360/354/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Wink i know just what u mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowQn
I have always seemed to look like my neck was not washed good, even when I was a kid, and at a more normal weight. My mum would get so frustrated with me, admonishing me to wash my neck, and threatening to take me down and scrub me until I was clean! I have rubbed and rubbed and rubbed and rubbed and the dern thing is STILL there! My friend's nephew is only 4, but he is really overweight, and they were told by his dr. that the darkish ring around his neck was a precursor to diabetes... and sure enough, the poor kid got it. I decided to do some checking on it, and it sounds like what I have had on my neck all these years. It is embarrassing at times, because I love to wear my hair up, and it makes my neck look like I have been rolling in the dirt! I am not aware of it being anywhere else.

i know just how u feel. i have had the same problem since i was a kid and now i am 21. i have PCOS and prediabetes. my mom and family done the same thing to me.
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 10:27

Plan: don't know
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress:
Default nigricans

I know what you are going through. I have had it all my life. I am 24. I just got diagnosed after many years and many doctors. I have been researching on the web and I am going to cut my carbs starting today. Has any one tried skin bleaching? Or fish oils? I hate having to wear my hair down all the time. It's terrible. People always commenting "you need to wash your neck". They just don't realize how awful it is.
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 11:39

Plan: no
Stats: 130/130/130 Female 5ft 3inch
BF:
Progress:
Default desperate

i keep reading that people have lightened and brightened their discolorations but HAS ANYONE COMPLETELY GOTTEN RID OF THEIR SPOTS?
or am i just screwed for life?
thanks
  #132   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

The only place I have any discoloration remaining is armpits. I am told that will never go away, but also understand that I had AN by age 7.
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 13:01

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

mee too the longer you ave had it ...it is difficult to get rid of.
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 02:33

Plan: no
Stats: 130/130/130 Female 5ft 3inch
BF:
Progress:

well, i'm gonna try the triple strength fish oil pills so i will let everyone know if it works. makeup doesn't. it just turns into a weird color. geez i'd pay any amount of money it cost to get rid of it, too bad there's no hope.

i'm sorry but i have to vent, this disorder is one of the most insanely difficult to deal with, i dont care if its purely aesthetic, i swear, this disorder is beyond degrading. you see someone with a tumor on their face and its "poor guy", or you see someone with a giant birthmark on half their body and its "geez what a shame" but if someone sees a person with AN the reactions are more of disgust and complete disdain. dont bother trying to explain it, no one cares except other people with it. this is probably one of the only disorders on the planet that can get even the most caring nicest doctor or person to look at you as if you're less than a human. ive never felt like more of a shameful disgrace in my life.
  #135   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/230/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress:
Default I know just how you feel... it sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian5pear
well, i'm gonna try the triple strength fish oil pills so i will let everyone know if it works. makeup doesn't. it just turns into a weird color. geez i'd pay any amount of money it cost to get rid of it, too bad there's no hope.

i'm sorry but i have to vent, this disorder is one of the most insanely difficult to deal with, i dont care if its purely aesthetic, i swear, this disorder is beyond degrading. you see someone with a tumor on their face and its "poor guy", or you see someone with a giant birthmark on half their body and its "geez what a shame" but if someone sees a person with AN the reactions are more of disgust and complete disdain. dont bother trying to explain it, no one cares except other people with it. this is probably one of the only disorders on the planet that can get even the most caring nicest doctor or person to look at you as if you're less than a human. ive never felt like more of a shameful disgrace in my life.

I know just how you feel, and I know it sucks. I have had this so long its just part of who I am now, but i look at women with their hair up at weddings- or girls in pony tails with tank tops and short shorts- and I think that no matter how happy and confident I may feel with my weight to wear those things- I will never be able to because of this never ending problem.