Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 09:57

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Remotivation for strict diet advice please.

Hello, looking for some help and remotivation: lost 5 stone & 7lb in 15 months, but still over 12stone at 5'3". Feeling good but I've been stuck around this weight for a while.

I can't have dairy, eggs, soya, gluten, corn or any nuts due to baby's allergys.

My Lchf diet has slipped up and I now eat fruit, veg, meat, fish (every day), olive and coconut oils as well as some potatoes and starchy veg, rice, gluten free oats and lentils. I have also discovered a safe chocolate, mango chutney and vegetable crisps which have been a real carby weakness. I don't eat breakfast, still feed baby 6-8 milk feeds/day. Never get more than 2hrs consecutive sleep.

Need to get back to proper lchf. More meat/fish and non starchy veg. Anyone any advice on motivation please, or suggestions on how to make my limited diet seem better/less depriving? I'm kinda sick of all this simple food, and look forward to treats too much. I want to get away from them, but struggling to.

I used to increase the cheese, cream, eggs and nuts to get refocused and make the meat and green veg delicious, but without these things, I'm finding Lchf tough and boring.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RonnieScot : Tue, Mar-27-18 at 02:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 10:24

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Everything you need to know: http://dietdoctor.com

LCHF does not need to be boring. Once you get going, it gets easier. In fact, it's a snap. The craving for treats will go away, too.

I resisted the idea of LCHF (again) because I found the idea of all that meat off-putting. So I "went on" a standard low-calorie diet and ate fruit and salads, and didn't lose any weight. I'm back on LCHF and have lost 15 pounds in 2.5 months. I'm 68 years old and don't exercise. I'm lazy.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 12:53

BF:

Been chatting with a friend, going to see how long it takes for me to show positive for ketones on sticks.

I know you're right, if I can get back to cutting carbs, just drop this odd half potato, I'll feel better.

But this diet does feel limiting :-( whereas LCHF is petty indulgent.

Last edited by RonnieScot : Mon, Mar-26-18 at 14:38.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 13:11

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
Everything you need to know: http://dietdoctor.com

LCHF does not need to be boring. Once you get going, it gets easier. In fact, it's a snap. The craving for treats will go away, too.

I resisted the idea of LCHF (again) because I found the idea of all that meat off-putting. So I "went on" a standard low-calorie diet and ate fruit and salads, and didn't lose any weight. I'm back on LCHF and have lost 15 pounds in 2.5 months. I'm 68 years old and don't exercise. I'm lazy.

^^^
what she said. Check out the Diet Doctor site. Also reddit keto subforum. There's loads of low carb vegetables out there, and loads of recipes on how to cook them on this forum.

If nuts are forbidden, you can still use toasted seeds. You can make salad dressings with sesame seed butter (tahini), sprinkle sunflower seeds on your salads, etc.

If you start out with the basic Paleo range of foods, minus the eggs and nuts, then eliminate all super carby root veggies (sweet potatoes, potatoes) and fruits (stick to berries and melons, lemon juice to start) you will still have a wide range of things to choose from. I would avoid any grains, pulses or legumes for now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

^^ scroll down a bit to learn more about how to tell if you're in ketosis. very detailed.

HTH
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 14:57

BF:

Thing of it as paleo minus eggs and nuts feels a bit better, and the tahini is an excellent idea that I'd not thought of! I'll have to get/make some so long as their not processed on nut processing lines and see what it's like!

I recon 95% recepes on diet doctor have foods on my list, and there's not much substitution for the mayonnaise, cheese, eggs that make them delicious.

I am used to avoiding obvious grains, it's the other things, avoiding corn for allergy is tricky: he reacts to anything derived from it, I can't get tomato purée without citric acid, nor balsamic vinegar without a colouring which the company won't verify is safe. Obviously normal vinegar is out because of the gluten from barley. Xantham gum, xylitol, dextrose, maltadextrin, are all out, so we don't eat anything processed.

I'll have a look at paleo recipes rather than General lc or keto.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 15:55

check out this company's products, which are widely available. They make an egg- and soy-free mayonnaise. It's called Vegenaise and it's been around for 40 years. They are also marketing vegan egg substitute. I like some of their salad dressings, too. So if these products meet your guidelines, you can make recipes that call for mayo, eggs, etc. HTH

If you have a powerful enough blender or food processor (like a Vitamix-- I've had one for decades and it's practically indestructible) it's pretty easy to make nut/seed butters at home from raw sesame or sunflower seeds. If you don't have this, I highly recommend it as an investment. It will last you for a long, long time.

https://followyourheart.com

also, you can use fruit vinegars instead of balsamic vinegar, very tasty. And rice vinegar is good for lots of recipes.

Last edited by ImOnMyWay : Mon, Mar-26-18 at 16:32.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 16:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Don't know with this will help you but I have multiple food sensitivities and have to eliminate egg, dairy, soy and other legumes, gluten (and other grains) plus chicken. I also don't eat fruit or starchy vegetables because of the carb content. What I have found most helpful is simply working on my attitude, being grateful that there is a way I can eat that keeps me healthy rather than thinking of the things I can't eat as some kind of deprivation. I realize that you are eliminating a lot of things because of your baby so it's not quite the same but you are fortunate to at least have the knowledge of what foods can work for you and your child and which ones don't. The way I see it is that boring is better than sick. I tell myself that my limited diet is a gift I give myself in order to maintain my health. I've come to enjoy my simple and repetitive diet. For me working on mind has been key to sticking with it. I call my diet low carb paleo and I've been eating this way for years.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 16:31

Pomi strained tomatoes (nothing but tomatoes listed in the ingredients).

https://www.pomi.us.com/en-us/produ...d-tomatoes-usa/

They are quality products. I buy them all the time.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-18, 21:53

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

While I respect Jean’s (cotonpal) love of simplicity, that wouldn’t work for me ‘n the Hubs, we both like variety. Tonight we had chicken curry, tomorrow is Swedish Meatballs in cream sauce. All VLC. Something to look forward to every day and no feelings of deprivation. But I like to cook, and I realize not everyone does.

I second the pomi tomatoes—a staple.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 01:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
check out this company's products, which are widely available. They make an egg- and soy-free mayonnaise. It's called Vegenaise and it's been around for 40 years. They are also marketing vegan egg substitute. I like some of their salad dressings, too. So if these products meet your guidelines, you can make recipes that call for mayo, eggs, etc. HTH

If you have a powerful enough blender or food processor (like a Vitamix-- I've had one for decades and it's practically indestructible) it's pretty easy to make nut/seed butters at home from raw sesame or sunflower seeds. If you don't have this, I highly recommend it as an investment. It will last you for a long, long time.

https://followyourheart.com

also, you can use fruit vinegars instead of balsamic vinegar, very tasty. And rice vinegar is good for lots of recipes.

So close! But contains soy :-( Thanks though, that was nearly ok! love mayo and do miss it!
I have a grinder which I use for my spices for curries and coffee beans. Not sure what make it is. Used to grind up nuts into paste occasionally. I'll definitely have a look for tahini or sesame seeds and the tomatoes you have recommended!

Deep down I am SO grateful baby and I can eat real food, and although he's had a rough time and is very small, I am very grateful he's doing better than some other poorly children. Need to refocus on what we can have, thanks Jean.

I cook everything from scratch. Fair bit of it scraping the fur, feathers and mud off first lol!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 04:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
While I respect Jean’s (cotonpal) love of simplicity, that wouldn’t work for me ‘n the Hubs, we both like variety. Tonight we had chicken curry, tomorrow is Swedish Meatballs in cream sauce. All VLC. Something to look forward to every day and no feelings of deprivation. But I like to cook, and I realize not everyone does.

For me it is not so much about preference as it is about acceptance. If I want to remain healthy and functioning I have to keep my diet very simple and avoid lots of foods that many people consider essential so I worked on my mind, how I think about food and its role in my life. This way I remain satisfied with what I have rather than focused on what I can't have.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 04:20

BF:

Big thank you to cotonpal!

Apple cyder vinegar lifted my lunch LOADS!
anchovies in olive oil and roasted chicken thighs, raddish, celery, tomato, parsley, cucumber salad. Was yummy, what a difference some vinegar can make!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieScot
So close! But contains soy :-( Thanks though, that was nearly ok! love mayo and do miss it!
I have a grinder which I use for my spices for curries and coffee beans. Not sure what make it is. Used to grind up nuts into paste occasionally. I'll definitely have a look for tahini or sesame seeds and the tomatoes you have recommended!

Deep down I am SO grateful baby and I can eat real food, and although he's had a rough time and is very small, I am very grateful he's doing better than some other poorly children. Need to refocus on what we can have, thanks Jean.

I cook everything from scratch. Fair bit of it scraping the fur, feathers and mud off first lol!

They make several different Vegenaise products, including one that is soy-free.

http://followyourheart.com/products/soy-free-3/

That's a lot of work, making everything from scratch!

I've never used my coffee grinder to make seed paste. I don't think it would work well as its bowl does not separate from its motor, and it would be very difficult to get it clean again. What I was thinking of is something like this:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/classic-blenders

My Vitamix 3600 has been a sturdy and reliable kitchen companion of mine for decades. The only time it broke was when I accidentally left a spoon in it and burned out the motor. SMH. But the company is fantastic. Their products are high quality, made in the USA, they give them a TEN YEAR WARRANTY (who does that these days?) and their customer support (also here in the US) is exceptional. They even provide support for MY legacy series blender, which takes a square-shaped gasket which might be difficult to find elsewhere. In short, they not only want YOUR business, they want your word-of-mouth referrals, too! Here's what mine looks like. Still going strong since the '80s.

Vitamix 3600 on eBay

But I also love my Cuisinart mini food processor. It's easy to clean and does so many things.

My KitchenAid mixer can do everything from grind meat, juicing citrus, kneading bread, grating cheese...

If you don't already have items such as these, it will pay off big time to save your pennies for a quality piece of equipment that will last and last through all the hard labor you put to it. It's an investment that will save you a lot of work. HTH
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-18, 05:31

BF:

I've not had a chance to think about the processes you've linked to, but will sometime.

Thanks all for the the advice from the last few days.

I've lost half a kg in two days, yay! Total loss 37.5kg in under 16 months, 82lb

I've been eating chicken thighs, bacon, salad, fish and green veg.
In particular, I do like spring onions, celery, leeks and new discovery; fennel bulb fried in olive oil with little garlic with bacon. Parsley and rocket to garnish, odd tomato, raddish and I did sneak an apple and a pear. Pee sticks say I've been in ketosis whole time.

So good to see a result so fast! :-) thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-18, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieScot
I've not had a chance to think about the processes you've linked to, but will sometime.

Thanks all for the the advice from the last few days.

I've lost half a kg in two days, yay! Total loss 37.5kg in under 16 months, 82lb

I've been eating chicken thighs, bacon, salad, fish and green veg.
In particular, I do like spring onions, celery, leeks and new discovery; fennel bulb fried in olive oil with little garlic with bacon. Parsley and rocket to garnish, odd tomato, raddish and I did sneak an apple and a pear. Pee sticks say I've been in ketosis whole time.

So good to see a result so fast! :-) thanks!

That's great! I'm glad that you've found what works for you.