Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 215/205/160 Female 69.5
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default All Hail Cabbage!

Cabbage is great! I can't believe how well it always comes out with flavorful meats and gives you that noodle fill.

Here are three favorites, low-carb and fast to make recipes of mine :

Cabbage side dish :

1 small cabbage, shredded
2 strips of bacon
1 onion
2 cups celery, diced
Garlic powder, pepper and paprika
Small nuggets of butter

Shred cabbage, dice onion and celery. Put in 9x9 cake dish. Cut bacon in small 1" squares and spread evenly across veggies. Add a bit of salt, lots of cracked pepper and a pinch of garlic powder (not salt!) and paprika. Drop a few nuggets (pea sized) of butter across the dish and cover in foil. Poke a hole in the foil and put into the oven at 350 for 40 minutes. This is great to accompany other oven meats (roastbeef, whole chickens, pork roasts, etc.) and tastes divine! You can also make an asian version of it with just a bit of soy sauce (hold the salt), grated fresh ginger and a clove of garlic.

Cabbage & pork casserole :

(This is great with leftover baked ham)

1 small cabbage, coarsely shredded with a knife (around 4 cups shredded)
1 big onion
1 pack of mushrooms
1 garlic sausage
3 stripes of bacon
1 cup of diced leftover baked ham
1 clove of garlic
Couple of strands (or tsp if dried) of chives
Lots of cracked pepper

Pretty straightforward, cook bacon and sausage and ham for a couple of minutes in a pan (on med high), saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in the same pan (raise to high) - then add cabbage, chives and pepper at will. Cover the pan with a lid (lower to med-low) and come back every 5 minutes to stir and make sure nothing's sticking.

30 minutes later, it's a strange mess visually (between sauerkraut and a stir fry) but it tastes absolutely divine!

Cabbage & ground beef casserole

1 pound of ground beef
1 Italian sausage (just one, for taste)
1 small cabbage (coarsely shredded with a knife)
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 clove of garlic
Bunch of fresh basil or oregano
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 dollop of sour cream
1 cup of shredded mozza

Brown beef (salt and pepper meat) and saute sausage, cabbage, diced onion, garlic & green peppers in olive oil. Dump a can of diced tomatoes and a couple of bunches of basil and/or oregano. Pre-heat oven at 350 and start shredding cheese. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes with the cover off to reduce tomato juice. Then throw in a dollop of sour cream, mix well - put in a casserole and cover with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for 3-4 mins until cheese has turned golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes and dig in!

Anybody else got strange and delicious cabbage recipes - I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/202/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 51%

This was posted on a WW forum a few years ago. I make it regularly. I use a bag of the pre-shredded coleslaw mix but shredded cabbage would work just as well. I'm a toss-together kind of cook so all amounts are approximate.

Inside Out Egg Rolls

1 pkg. coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots shredded for coleslaw without the dressing)
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
2 c. fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 beaten eggs
garlic powder to taste
chinese 5-spice powder to taste (I substitute allspice)
Soy sauce to moisten

Stir fry cabbage, mushrooms & water chestnuts in oil until tender. Add spices and beaten egg; continue to stir until egg bits are set. Douse with a little soy sauce to moisten.

The above recipe makes a ton, but I like to cook in bulk. Cut down amounts accordingly. You can add other stir-fry type veggies to this... green pepper, baby corn, green peas (well, count the carbs). Cooked diced chicken, shrimp or pork are also tasty additions.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-10, 17:53
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

So many good recipes, so little time (even tho I'm retired . I wonder if I'll even ever be able to try all the LC recipes I've printed out to date? LOL