Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 22:00
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default N.L. woman uses obituary to advocate against fat shaming

Here is the news story:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/n-...aming-1.4033008

Here is the actual obituary:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/t...t&pid=189588876

Quote:
BENNETT, Ellen Maud Daughter, sister and aunt, Ellen Maud Bennett who passed away aged 64 on May 11, 2018 was to most who met her an unforgettable character. The eldest of five siblings, she was forced to do everything first and report back to the rest. Born in Burin, Newfoundland she was a perpetually delighted transplant to Victoria B.C. This photo was taken one week before her death. She chose it for her obituary because as she said, "I look so good for someone almost dead!" Her brief time diagnosed with inoperable cancer gave her mere days to live. She chose to fill these days with humour, love, death bed edicts and exacting demands. These demands gave a grateful brother time to ship her fresh lobster from Nova Scotia, and others time to scour Victoria for every early blooming peony and source the perfect shrimp-wonton soup. (JJ Wonton.) Ellen was a creative soul. She was also an excellent student and attained a BA in Political Science and held a Masters in International Relations. Her first and last job in this arena was on Parliament Hill where she found the work too filled with paperwork and patronage. She quit to establish a popular vintage clothing store in Ottawa which eventually inspired her to pursue her real passion for Costume Design. A credential from Dalhousie University formalized a career filled with creativity. Ellen enjoyed a career in theatre (Stratford), television and film. Ellen was all about style and art directed her own life splendidly. Make up, fashion and home décor sustained her. A final message Ellen wanted to share was about the fat shaming she endured from the medical profession. Over the past few years of feeling unwell she sought out medical intervention and no one offered any support or suggestions beyond weight loss. Ellen's dying wish was that women of size make her death matter by advocating strongly for their health and not accepting that fat is the only relevant health issue. Please remember Ellen when you next read a great book, go to a play or buy a small object of stunning beauty. We've lost a remarkable woman. Ellen's family would like to extend our gratitude to the amazing team of angels at the Victoria Hospice who gave her the respect and kindness she needed and deserved. A celebration of Ellen's life will be held in August. Please email theresabennett.snp~gmail.com for details.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 04:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, I can't believe she was 64. She looked fantastic.

This is something that makes me really angry. It's impossible to know if she might have lived longer if a doctor wasn't dismissive based on her weight, but I hope there will be some positive change based on this story.

There can be little doubt that there are people dying too young because their doctors discriminate based on weight, plus other folks who are afraid to go to their doctor for this reason. The effect is two-fold.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 07:51

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

The problem is NOT so much that doctors tell overweight patients that they need to lose weight. As many of us on this forum have experienced first-hand, in many many cases, successfully losing weight WILL result in better health and the disappearance of many troubling symptoms!

The problems are: 1) Doctors don't usually offer any USEFUL advice on how to actually lose weight. Mainly because they themselves don't know to do it!

And 2) if doctors think that all of a patient's complaints/symptoms are due to their weight issues, the doctor may quit looking for ANY alternative explanations... and thus overlook things like cancer.

64 is way too young to die. If this poor woman went repeatedly to her doctor over several years complaining of symptoms that should have pointed to a cancer diagnosis, and she wasn't diagnosed until her cancer reached the inoperable stage because her complaints were dismissed as merely symptoms of obesity, then that is both a tragedy and, IMHO, medical malpractice!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I just found this story very sad. And you just know that the advice she got to lose that weight was to "eat less and move more" and "avoid fat especially saturated fat". Ugh.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 11:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

It made the radio news here this morning--PBS.

What a beautiful woman-RIP.

Last edited by Rosebud : Sat, Aug-04-18 at 20:17. Reason: member request
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 18:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was fortunate that I didn't have cancer, but my spinal stenosis wasn't taken seriously, or even diagnosed, for years. I was in a lot of pain but according to the doctors, all I needed to do was lose weight.

Finally got a doctor who didn't think that way - may his tribe increase!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 19:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bonnie , Im glad you eventually found an advocate..... spinal stenosis is as devistating as cancer.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 15:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I was fortunate that I didn't have cancer, but my spinal stenosis wasn't taken seriously, or even diagnosed, for years. I was in a lot of pain but according to the doctors, all I needed to do was lose weight.

Finally got a doctor who didn't think that way - may his tribe increase!

Somglad you finally found one who listened!