Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 08:31

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Default Memo From The Boss: You're a Vegetarian Now

Self-righteous company execs tell you what to eat.

New York Times, June 20, 2018:

Quote:
The headline has been ‘meat-free,’ but this is a much larger effort to develop personal accountability in our team,” Miguel McKelvey, the chief culture officer of WeWork, said of the company’s move toward vegetarian practices. Credit Cole Wilson for The New York Times

WeWork is no longer a safe space for carnivores.

Earlier this month, the co-working juggernaut announced that it was essentially going vegetarian. The company will no longer serve red meat, pork or poultry at company functions, and it will not reimburse employees who want to order a hamburger during a lunch meeting.

In a memo to employees announcing the new policy, Miguel McKelvey, WeWork’s co-founder and chief culture officer, said the decision was driven largely by concerns for the environment, and, to a lesser extent, animal welfare.

“New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact — even more than switching to a hybrid car,” he wrote. Additionally, WeWork could save “over 15 million animals by 2023 by eliminating meat at our events.”

Mr. McKelvey, in his first interview since the decision was announced, said the policy was also aimed at raising consciousness among the company’s nearly 6,000 employees.

“It’s multidimensional,” he said. “We’re coming at it from an awareness and a mindfulness perspective. The headline has been ‘meat-free,’ but this is a much larger effort to develop personal accountability in our team.

THIS is exactly what I despise about veganism and companies that sell vegan products: the blatant promotion that if you eschew all animal products, you're obviously a better person.

For example, Alicia Silverstone and her "Kind" diet. Being vegan means you're kind, and by extension, doing otherwise implies that you're a cruel bastard.

"Beyond Meat" - if you buy our product, you're obviously a far-sighted individual who looks to the future!

"Good Karma Plant-Based Milk" - and you better not be eating yogurt, either, or you may end up as a cockroach in your next life.

If you use animal products, either you're a selfish glutton who doesn't care about the environment, or just plain ignorant. If you're vegan, you're an eco-warrior. Never mind the extensive environmental damage sustained by the practices that provide you with all those soybeans and wheat; never mind the carbon footprint of that "pulled, smoked jackfruit" you're deluding yourself tastes just like meat. And the decidedly non-eco-friendly plastic packaging.

"I won't eat anything that has a face." - (subtext: "How could YOU?")

Extending the concept of alien intelligence and pain recognition to animals, but not to the vegetable kingdom. Well, how could they? What would be left to eat - rocks?

I probably wouldn't be working for this company in the first place, but if I were, at this point I would be sending out my résumé. How can I attend a company retreat if there's nothing I can eat? If I don't go to the retreat, I'm seen as not being a team player, thereby putting the kibosh on any hopes of a promotion or raise. And what if the retreat is mandatory?

I bet they have codified company policies that promote inclusivity, too. But not inclusivity with respect to dietary needs. They create and manage "shared" work spaces for small businesses. These "offices" look like boiler room sales operations - with nice art on the walls.

Last edited by ImOnMyWay : Wed, Jul-25-18 at 20:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 09:45

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I don't guess they'll get into legal trouble if all they're basically doing is not providing animal products in the workplace food environment. Not convenient, but it's their choice to serve what they want. A bigger concern from my perspective is if they put pressure on you about what you choose to eat as a private individual, at home or what you tote in for lunch at the office, etc. Higher company health insurance premiums for meat eaters, denial of work benefits, that sort of thing. IDK if anyone is doing that sort of thing. I know our company-based insurance has been getting more nosy about our perceived health habits.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 11:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

This is why vegans get on my last nerve.

I'm a long time animal rights activist. I signed the No Fur pledge when I was twelve, and have stuck with it. I even tried going vegetarian (eggs and cheese) and got fat and sick. My recent research indicates I tried for months and I was "doing it right." I just don't have the enzymes to get protein from plant sources, and I wasn't supposed to eat the eggs and cheese I was eating. End of story.

Their dream of the whole word turning vegan is doomed to failure, and in the meantime they blow off efforts towards more human animal handling on the grounds that "we shouldn't be doing it at all." This is not helping.

It seems simple: but vegan food is probably the most heavily processed and sugar laden food items on the planet. (What about the poor abused people on the sugar plantations around the world?) They use monoculture, destroy eco-systems, drive species out of habitats; and endanger their own health. The dirty secret of vegans is that they do eat meat. They just keep it a secret.

Everything you need to know about them was summed up in a vegan deli near me, who offers a "Righteous Reuben" with soy cheese and textured gluten pastrami. They like feeling superior, and then they get fanatical about it.

Also, last but far from least, I live with four rescue cats. Obligate carnivores. What do these vegans want me to feed them?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

I met a guy that drives buses for musicians on tour in the states...
he had the job of driving Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney around the west leg of their tour...
they made everyone that worked on the tour sign an agreement that they would not consume meat while employed by the Wings Tour......

he said he would go to the nearest burger joint and get 150 burgers, to bring to the roadies when the McCartney's weren't near....
he said, he kept them fed...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 11:50

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

And sadly Linda died of breast cancer. No way of knowing if it had any connection to her vegetarian diet, but I do wonder. Sad irony if so, since she probably ate that way believing it would benefit not harm her health. I did eat vegetarian several years in the belief it was healthier but have since changed my mind, as low carb with animal products has improved my health.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:07

BF:

The "official" word is that a vegan diet lowers the risk of cancer, but I just don't believe it.

Our local health food store offers humanely raised meat along with the vegan stuff. In my quest for gluten free soup I am forced to get it vegan, and I have given up. It is uneatable; it must have as much sugar as a can of coke.

Most of their food is heavily processed and full of chemicals, along with problematic things like soy. Of course, they are heavy into the whole grains, too. Grains and sugar: cancer culprits.

So it doesn't add up for me. And we all know they are not above lying.

I think we low carber, still small in number, are lumped in with the "meat eaters" who are Egg McMuffin in the morning, burger and fries at lunch, and probably fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner. Such high carb eating is considered the "norm" and maybe vegans look better than they do; but I am still convinced this is actually the case.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:09

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This is why vegans get on my last nerve.

I'm a long time animal rights activist. I signed the No Fur pledge when I was twelve, and have stuck with it. I even tried going vegetarian (eggs and cheese) and got fat and sick. My recent research indicates I tried for months and I was "doing it right." I just don't have the enzymes to get protein from plant sources, and I wasn't supposed to eat the eggs and cheese I was eating. End of story.

Their dream of the whole word turning vegan is doomed to failure, and in the meantime they blow off efforts towards more human animal handling on the grounds that "we shouldn't be doing it at all." This is not helping.

It seems simple: but vegan food is probably the most heavily processed and sugar laden food items on the planet. (What about the poor abused people on the sugar plantations around the world?) They use monoculture, destroy eco-systems, drive species out of habitats; and endanger their own health. The dirty secret of vegans is that they do eat meat. They just keep it a secret.

for realz?

Quote:
Everything you need to know about them was summed up in a vegan deli near me, who offers a "Righteous Reuben" with soy cheese and textured gluten pastrami. They like feeling superior, and then they get fanatical about it.

Also, last but far from least, I live with four rescue cats. Obligate carnivores. What do these vegans want me to feed them?

Maybe this vegan cat food? (talk about animal abuse)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:27

BF:

The dirty secret of vegans is that they do eat meat. They just keep it a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
for realz?

It was about ten years ago, maybe more. I notice a trend with long time vegan bloggers, people who wrote cookbooks and were niche famous. They were publishing posts that said, "My doctor said I have to start eating meat or I will die."

You could go back and see the posts; fatigue, catching everything that went around, anemia symptoms, vitamin deficiencies, endless lists of all the things they do to eat a "balanced" diet as a vegan. Now they had osteoporosis in their late twenties, vision problems, bone marrow can't make blood. All because they were convinced this was the way to eat for health.

And they were attacked so viciously they all took down their entire sites because of death threats.

Before than happened though, a few of the tougher ones were able to try to fight back, and would post some of the threats, some of the "advice" that went, "Yes, we eat meat, but shut up, you are ruining our thing," and letters from people in terrible health but their "ethics" were too strong, why can't YOU hang in there, and so forth. Exposing the whole scam; which is what it boils down to.

Just in casual web conversations, forums about all kinds of things, people get on what they are eating, and SO MANY PEOPLE are all, "Oh, yeah, vegetarian, practically vegan," and what that means is except at a cookout, or eating out, or when something is on special... they have absorbed that meat is death so they think not eating meat at every meal is "practically vegan."

NONE of them eat entirely animal free.

Because if they did, they would get sick.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

If I were forced to go vegan I would get very sick (been there done that). I have multiple food sensitivities that preclude my eating any legumes, any dairy, any eggs and no grains. Meat is how I get my protein. All the meat I eat is raised humanely, nothing factory farmed. Large scale agriculture kills many animals and destroys their habitats. The holier than thou attitude of vegans has no basis in fact. One can be an ethical meat eater. One can also be an unethical vegan.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 14:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I won't eat anything that can say my name. So many parrots are safe, but infants... well, sorry. /rolf
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

I am afraid more people / businesses will go in this direction. Apparently, butchers are under attack in Europe.

See article
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 20:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Groupthink fits nicely here. It's becoming the way with the stifling of free speech and the growing lack of civil discourse.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 21:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Vegans never take into account all of the energy required to plant, irrigate, thresh, transport, process, package and transport their fodder some more. Grass-fed and free range animals can eat off land that is not suitable for agriculture.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 21:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Vegans never take into account all of the energy required to plant, irrigate, thresh, transport, process, package and transport their fodder some more. Grass-fed and free range animals can eat off land that is not suitable for agriculture.
I was mostly vegetarian for over 20 years and vegan for two of them, ruined my health and hit my peak weight as a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. I sometimes wonder if eating 90% grains, legumes & dairy is what made me intolerant of them and eggs from chickens fed mostly flaxseed.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 22:16
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

"WeWork is no longer a safe space for carnivores."

And the "China Study" is likely required reading