Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 18:10
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Oven-Fried Eggplant

If you like eggplant but hate doing it in 2-3 batches over a hot skillet, try this method. It's VERY tasty and you can do a big old sheet pan full all at one time without standing over a pan of hot grease spattering all over you: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...fried-eggplant/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 13:01
Patience Personified

Full Recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

12 oz. eggplant
4 T. my homemade mayo: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...ade-mayonnaise/
6 T. Parmesan Cheese
¼ tsp. my Seafood Spice Blend: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...od-spice-blend/
2 T. Olive Oil

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 45oº. Oil sheet pan with olive oil. Trim stem/end off eggplant. Cut into 1/4″-3/8″ slices. Mix spice blend into Parmesan cheese in a dish. Brush one side of one eggplant slice at a time with mayo. Coat that side with Parmesan (I use the kind in the can for this recipe) by holding the very edge of the slice over a paper plate with the cheese, dipping and sprinkling the one side, letting excess fall back into the paper plate. I place the slices cheese-coated side down onto the oiled pan. Then I brush the other sides all at once and sprinkle the remaining cheese carefully onto the slices. I find this conserves cheese for the second sides. If I just dip the slices into the cheese both sides, I run out of cheese EVERY time! Bake in a hot oven (450º) for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned on top. I find I don’t have to turn the slices over if the oven is hot enough. They do tend to brown even more on the side touching the pan, so bear this in mind.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 4, each serving contains:

243 calories
22.8 g fat
5.5 g carbs
2.9 g fiber
2.6 g NET CARBS
8 g protein
121 mg sodium

Last edited by Buttoni : Fri, Sep-24-10 at 13:24.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

doing eggplant this way is a good way for Moussaka, eggplant parmesean, and eggplant rollatini...

thanks for posting your recipes rather than following links.
a lot of us don't like following links.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 13:25
Patience Personified

Sure beats the heck out of standing over a skillet full of hot grease for 2-3 separate batches.

Last edited by Buttoni : Fri, Sep-24-10 at 13:45.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 19:36

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

I want to make Moussaka soon, so I will have to try that. Just checked out your blog, and you have my mouth watering! This just looks delicious:

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...akfast-burrito/

Thanks for sharing!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 07:43
Patience Personified

I love to do those breakfast burritos when I have just a dab of steak or pork leftover.

BTW, I have a good Moussaka recipe on my site, too. Here's a link to the pic: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...saka-casserole/

GREEK MOUSSAKA

This recipe is not for induction due to the flour in the topping. If you want to try using xanthan gum or guar gum to thicken the topping instead, those on Induction could have this wonderful dish. I’d use about 1/4 tsp. and wait and see in a couple minutes how thick it gets. If too thin, add about another 1/4 tsp. Remember to either lightly dust the xanthan gum into the sauce gradually, stirring constantly, or mix it into the melted butter up front. I’ve been making this same recipe for nigh on to 40 years. The Carbalose flour is the only ANA change I had to make to the original recipe! Once I made this version of Moussaka, I simply quit looking for BETTER Moussaka recipes. It’s as good as any I ever ate in Greece. If already in OWL, a couple tablespoons of red wine added to the tomatoes is a very good flavor addition, but this is not included in nutritional info below. This recipe takes a little time to prepare, but makes an excellent dish for company with a nice Greek salad. This casserole freezes well and just seems to get better tasting for doing so!

CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:

12 oz. sliced eggplant (one very large one or 2 smaller)
1/3 c. olive oil
½ yellow onion, chopped
16 oz. canned tomatoes, crushed well
1½ lb. lean ground beef
¼ tsp salt
Dash black pepper
½ tsp. oregano
Pinch cinnamon
1 clove minced garlic
1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
Pinch salt

TOPPING INGREDIENTS:

¼ c. butter, melted
5 T. Carbalose Flour
½ c. heavy cream
1 c. water
¼ tsp. salt
Dash white pepper
¼ tsp. nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp. lemon juice
¼ c. crumbled feta cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Soak eggplant slices in salted water 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry on paper towels. Coat with Carbalose flour. Preheat oven to 450º. Grease oblong casserole dish with dab olive oil. Add eggplant, turning to coat on both sides with oil. Bake 20 minutes. Turn off oven and let eggplant stand while you do the next phase.

Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet. Add onion, garlic and saute 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add meat and saute until no longer pink. Carefully strain off grease onto the cooling eggplant. Now add the tomatoes (and 2 T. red wine, if using) to the drained meat in the skillet. Simmer 5-10 more minutes. Turn off fire and let cool while you prepare the topping.

For the topping, melt the butter in medium skillet. Stir in the Carbalose flour and cook 1 minute. Add water in a thin stream, stirring constantly to thin down the flour paste ever so gradually. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.

Now preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9×13 glass/ceramic casserole dish. Layer 1/3 eggplant, 1/3 meat mixture, 1/3 parmesan cheese (repeat 1-2 more times , until things run out). Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven.

In a bowl, beat the eggs and slowly whisk into the cooling cream topping mixture. Add the lemon juice and crumbled feta cheese. Taste and season with salt & white pepper to taste. Carefully spoon over the half-baked casserole. Sprinkle with nutmeg and pop back into oven until topping is beginning to puff and brown slightly, about 35 minutes or so. Cool 10 minutes and cut into 8 squares.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 servings, each containing:

516 calories
40 g fat
10.7 g carbs
3.8 g fiber
6.9 g NET CARBS
30 g protein
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 13:08

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

Perfect!! I want to make this and freeze it in portions for my hubby's lunch, and I know it will love this. BTW, my sister's name is Peggy. :-) Thanks for sharing that!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 13:49
Patience Personified

My pleasure, Patty!