Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/167/145 Female 5'5
BF:I/have/no idea
Progress: 80%
Default Why Do I Want To Sleep!!!!

Hello I was wondering if anyone had this problem or new how to fix it!!!!

I get up and get ready. I eat meat and eggs (3 saugae 2 eggs) (3 bacon 2 eggs) I get my son to school and about 30min later I go work out.

walking 2 miles on treadmill, circut weight training. It takes about an hour to hour and 1/2. On off days 3 miles treadmill and floor stuff. I try to always stay at least an hour sweating. I change around my rutein from time to time
I drink ALOT of water also

On the way home I start getting tired. By the time I get here all I want to do is sleep. I end up sleeping most of the afternoon sometimes. If not I am so slughsih I don't wanna do anythng. HELP!!!!!!!!!! What is going on?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 17:34

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

No telling why. How are you sleeping at night and how easy do you rise from bed in the morning?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 07:27

Plan: LC
Stats: 176/150/145 Female 5 feet 6
BF:
Progress: 84%

Well I'm not sure, but maybe your blood sugar is low? Have you tried having a small snack, like a piece of cheese or something, just to keep it stable.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 08:50
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Are you taking vitamins? Getting enough potassium, iron? Eating well the rest of the day? Getting enough veggies? Sleeping well? How are you feeling emotionally? Depressed?

It could be anything.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 10:52

Stats: 183/172/172 Male 5' 11''
BF:

There are a number of things you need to keep in mind:

1) Cardio can cause an insulin release.
2) Sounds like you are overtraining... 2 Miles then weights... then 3 miles on the off days... WOH there.

I train 3 days a week with weights (40 mins max) and a 30 minute walk on my off days...

You sound like you are over doing it to me.

The other thing I would say is add fat to your meals.

My breakfast is like 4 Eggs, Cheese, butter, and a LOTS of cream in drink. You need to provide some fuel otherwise you are going to feel wiped out. Eggs and meat alone is not gonna give you enough fat to do that amount of excercise long term.

I would up your fat intake considerably for a few days and drop your excerise volume a bit - then see how you feel. (Make sure it is only fat, excessive protien will throw you out of ketosis).

People seem to forget that when training a lot the body needs fuel. You can't live on protien alone and workout like a mad man without feeling wiped out.

I have fallen into this trap several times myself... gradually upping the amount of excercise and not eating enough... within a few days I feel wiped out and the first few times I thought - Hmm maybe I need more carbs. Anyway after some experimentation I added in more fat in the form of butter/Cream/Mac Nuts my energy levels picked up, without getting unstable blood sugar.

I guess it boils down to not being wary of Fat.

Last edited by leeeee : Mon, Oct-31-05 at 11:02.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 15:07

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

How long are you sleeping at night? Is there any way you can condense your routine? 1 1/2 hours sounds like too long to work out to me. Are you getting enough food? What does your ratio look like, enough fat, protein?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 23:56
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Take only coffee before your exercise, and eat afterwards, but not so much.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 14:42

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeeee
There are a number of things you need to keep in mind:

1) Cardio can cause an insulin release.
2) Sounds like you are overtraining... 2 Miles then weights... then 3 miles on the off days... WOH there.

I train 3 days a week with weights (40 mins max) and a 30 minute walk on my off days...

You sound like you are over doing it to me.

The other thing I would say is add fat to your meals.

My breakfast is like 4 Eggs, Cheese, butter, and a LOTS of cream in drink. You need to provide some fuel otherwise you are going to feel wiped out. Eggs and meat alone is not gonna give you enough fat to do that amount of excercise long term.

I would up your fat intake considerably for a few days and drop your excerise volume a bit - then see how you feel. (Make sure it is only fat, excessive protien will throw you out of ketosis).

People seem to forget that when training a lot the body needs fuel. You can't live on protien alone and workout like a mad man without feeling wiped out.

I have fallen into this trap several times myself... gradually upping the amount of excercise and not eating enough... within a few days I feel wiped out and the first few times I thought - Hmm maybe I need more carbs. Anyway after some experimentation I added in more fat in the form of butter/Cream/Mac Nuts my energy levels picked up, without getting unstable blood sugar.

I guess it boils down to not being wary of Fat.

Have to disagree on upping fat "considerably" if your goal is to burn body fat as opposed to just losing "weight". If dietary fat is excessive your bod will look there for fuel before attacking your body fat stores. I have learned this the hard way. Fat is essential but not in excess. Depends on your goals.Try to get the majority from unsaturated sources (fish oil is King) IMO.
Remember: "Abs are made in the kitchen."

Also sounds like overtraining to me. Lifting HEAVY (for you) short sets 3x/week for no more than 45-60 min (cortisol levels rise) BEFORE you do any cardio is very effective. If you have to do cardio on the same day don't do any more than 20 to 30 min steady state at a moderate pace. Better to do steady state or a short HITT session cardio on a different day. Just remember that it is just as important to eat and rest in order to rebuild the "damage" you do in the gym as it is to "tear 'em up!"

What has worked for me and many I have shared discussions with, is to keep the protein high (1-1.5g per lb LBM), carbs lowish and fat moderate. Calories DO matter and in order to lose fat you want to starve it while feeding the lean muscle tissue. FWIW a caloric deficit and feeding the metabolically active muscle is what it all comes down to.

Have a great day!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 03:45

Stats: 183/172/172 Male 5' 11''
BF:

Hi Delta,

Glad to have a response to my comments but I have a couple of issues with what you have said.

"Try to get the majority from unsaturated sources (fish oil is King) IMO"

What is wrong with saturated fat? In my opinion and in many others it is one of the best types of fat available. Please don't tell me you still believe all the crap about saturated fat being bad for you?

"What has worked for me and many I have shared discussions with, is to keep the protein high (1-1.5g per lb LBM)"

In my opinion this is to high a level of protein. I way approx 160 lb at 8% body fat. This give me a LBM of appox 142 Lbs... I would say 140 grams of protein would be more than adequate - so 1 per lb of LBM is about right. However upping it to 220 grams per day would probably cause me to start burning glucose again and take me partially out of ketosis etc.

"What has worked for me and many I have shared discussions with, is to keep the protein high (1-1.5g per lb LBM), carbs lowish and fat moderate"

IMO carbs should be low, protien moderate, and fat high. Doing it any other way seems to be missing the point (IE people still havn't rid themselves of the notion that fat is bad). People who continue to avoid fat when on a low carb diet are asking for problems.

This may prove interesting reading for you guys:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

"Calories DO matter and in order to lose fat you want to starve it while feeding the lean muscle tissue. FWIW a caloric deficit and feeding the metabolically active muscle is what it all comes down to."

Again, although I think Energy in vs Energy does have some merits, it also has several limitations... Check this out:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/do...ally-count.html

Another site I have read quite a bit on quotes these ratios as being ideal, and I have to say they worked wonders for me:

70% total fat on a calorie basis
27% protein
3% carbohydrates (20 gm of which 3 gm or less is fiber).

The site I have mentioned is run by a guy called Barry Groves who has authored a book on low carbing. He is very knowledgable and will respond to Emails.

Let me know your thoughts Delta - it's interesting to get a debate going.

Cheers.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 10:23

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Hi Delta,

Glad to have a response to my comments but I have a couple of issues with what you have said.

"Try to get the majority from unsaturated sources (fish oil is King) IMO"

What is wrong with saturated fat? In my opinion and in many others it is one of the best types of fat available. Please don't tell me you still believe all the crap about saturated fat being bad for you?

No, I do not believe saturated fat is "bad" for you.

Quote:
"What has worked for me and many I have shared discussions with, is to keep the protein high (1-1.5g per lb LBM)"

In my opinion this is to high a level of protein. I way approx 160 lb at 8% body fat. This give me a LBM of appox 142 Lbs... I would say 140 grams of protein would be more than adequate - so 1 per lb of LBM is about right. However upping it to 220 grams per day would probably cause me to start burning glucose again and take me partially out of ketosis etc.

If you are a female with a body fat surplus the rules change.

The majority of my research has been geared towards the reduction of BF while maintaining LBM. Your situation at 8% BF and male is a whole other can of worms. I am assuming ,if you are aiming for ketosis, that you are still aiming to lower the BF% even further. Correct? Once again, depends on your goals.
Please check out this site. Lyle really knows his stuff!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Quote:
"What has worked for me and many I have shared discussions with, is to keep the protein high (1-1.5g per lb LBM), carbs lowish and fat moderate"

IMO carbs should be low, protien moderate, and fat high. Doing it any other way seems to be missing the point (IE people still havn't rid themselves of the notion that fat is bad). People who continue to avoid fat when on a low carb diet are asking for problems.

No one said anything about "avoiding fat". If a female with a high fat % wants to lose fat we would like it to come off our a$$ not so much from our diet. As we get leaner and have more metobolically active muscle, the rules change, once again.

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts Delta - it's interesting to get a debate going.

It sure is! I think that we are all individuals and have different macronutrient needs, based on our goals, body type, etc..., and it's a matter of figuring out what they are on an individual basis.

Quote:
Cheers.

Right back at 'cha!!